Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Wifi Calling (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33712644)

Rillington 28-04-2024 13:16

Wifi Calling

I have issues making calls and have been told that Wifi Calling is the solution to this. However I use an ethernet cable with the wireless aspect of the router switched off and to make Wifi Calling work, I would have to switch this on.

My computer has the wifi logo with a line through it, which underlines that the computer is not connecting to the internet wirelessly. However, if I set up Wifi Calling, and thereby switch on the wireless aspect of my computer, would I still be able to stop my computer connecting wirelessly to the internet, thereby only being online on my computer when the ethernet cable is plugged in?

Paul 28-04-2024 15:09

Re: Wifi Calling

Surely you can just turn wifi off on the computer ?

Stephen 28-04-2024 19:50

Simply disable the WiFi on your PC network settings.

nomadking 28-04-2024 20:37

You appear to not want the router to have WiFi enabled. If the PC allows you to do WiFi calling, then it has to use the wired connection, and you would only be able to use it when the PC is on.
Not sure why you're so averse to enabling WiFi connection to the internet.

Stephen 28-04-2024 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36174168)
You appear to not want the router to have WiFi enabled. If the PC allows you to do WiFi calling, then it has to use the wired connection, and you would only be able to use it when the PC is on.
Not sure why you're so adverse to enabling WiFi connection to the internet.

I think they meant WiFi calling on their mobile, but have WiFi disabled as they only want the PC to connect to router via ethernet. .

nomadking 28-04-2024 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36174169)
I think they meant WiFi calling on their mobile, but have WiFi disabled as they only want the PC to connect to router via ethernet. .

Haven't tried it myself, but surely you can enable WiFi on the PC but with a wired connection to the internet. To have WiFI calling, there has to be a connection to the internet somewhere.

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:00 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36174152)
I have issues making calls and have been told that Wifi Calling is the solution to this. However I use an ethernet cable with the wireless aspect of the router switched off and to make Wifi Calling work, I would have to switch this on.

My computer has the wifi logo with a line through it, which underlines that the computer is not connecting to the internet wirelessly. However, if I set up Wifi Calling, and thereby switch on the wireless aspect of my computer, would I still be able to stop my computer connecting wirelessly to the internet, thereby only being online on my computer when the ethernet cable is plugged in?

How else would your computer connect to the internet? The router has WiFi disabled, so there's no other possible path than wired.

Stephen 28-04-2024 22:40

I think you are misunderstanding the question and situation.

The OP is not talking about making wifi calls from the PC. But using the mobile phone to make/receive calls over WiFi as his mobile signal isn't great at home.

However the PC is connected by ethernet to router as the OP doesn't want the PC to use the WiFi connection, preferring wired. Was asking if he enables the routers WiFi again, if they can turn of the PCs WiFi, thereby ensuring it will still be utilising the wired connection.

Ms NTL 28-04-2024 22:52

Leave the wifi off (on the router)

Create a hotspot on Windows 10 or Windows 11, open the Settings app, navigate to Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot, then click the toggle to share your internet connection. Click "Edit" to customize the network name and password..

The PC will not connect to the router via wifi.

nomadking 28-04-2024 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36174180)

The OP is not talking about making wifi calls from the PC. But using the mobile phone to make/receive calls over WiFi as his mobile signal isn't great at home.

However the PC is connected by ethernet to router as the OP doesn't want the PC to use the WiFi connection, preferring wired. Was asking if he enables the routers WiFi again, if they can turn of the PCs WiFi, thereby ensuring it will still be utilising the wired connection.

It's about using the PC's WiFi to use WiFi calling without the PC using WiFI to connect to the internet. The PC can't connect to the internet using WifI, unless there is a router with WiFI enabled.

WiFi calling still needs the internet, so the PC would still need to use the wired connection for that.

pip08456 28-04-2024 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36174181)

Create a hotspot on Windows 10 or Windows 11, open the Settings app, navigate to Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot, then click the toggle to share your internet connection. Click "Edit" to customize the network name and password..

Easier just to disable the PC's wifi adapter.

Stephen 29-04-2024 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36174185)
Easier just to disable the PC's wifi adapter.

Exactly and turn the routers WiFi back on.

Rillington 30-04-2024 15:09

Thank you for all the replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36174158)
Surely you can just turn wifi off on the computer ?

I have done this as I cannot connect to the internet unless the ethernet cable is pulled into my computer.

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36174180)

That is precisely what I am asking Stephen.

---------- Post added at 15:09 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36174181)

Thank you for that input but I use a Mac, not a PC.

Paul 30-04-2024 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36174254)
I have done this as I cannot connect to the internet unless the ethernet cable is pulled into my computer.

I'm not really sure your stating this as an issue. :confused:
Assuming you mean "plugged" then obviously you wont have internet unless you plug it in.

Rillington 01-05-2024 14:35

Yes I meant plugged.

Hom3r 01-05-2024 16:24

My area has a poor mobile signal (NIMBY's cried about the 5G mask and it hasn't happened) I just turned on Wi-fi calling in my phones settings, and as my phone is linked to my wifi at home it just makes the call.