Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Project Lightning Silence... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703711)

Onramp 23-11-2016 21:42

Re: Project Lightning Silence...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicTorch (Post 35871376)
Thank you so much for posting this list. My area (Upton Rocks in Widnes) is on the list :). Will try not to get my hopes up too much, as 'Cable My Street' is still saying 'Computer says No', but I really hope that this is a sign that Virgin Media will be heading my way sometime in the near future.

It would make sense for Virgin to expand into Upton Rocks, as their network covers properties nearby. Upton Rocks consists of a large number of homes built from the 90's onwards, probably just after one of the former cable operators cabled up most of Widnes.

After moving to Upton Rocks, I did get in touch with Virgin to ask if they would consider expanding into area. This was back in 2010, but I still have the emails. My enquiry resulted in a guy who Virgin referred to as their 'local new build officer' getting in touch with the Technical Manager at David Wilson homes. The response I received back said 'as this is a new development there may be wayleave issues affecting us gaining access for the foreseeable future.'

Since 2010, the roads and footpaths have since been adopted by the local council & Project Lightning now exists. Surely this is a good sign? Who knows, maybe my enquiry from 2010 could have helped to get Upton Rocks on the list!

One thing I can recommend doing is writing a note for your neighbours, making over a thousand copies and putting your walking boots on.

I got a minor fracture in my left foot in the process but it's healed up now.

Postcode checked recently changed to: "We're on our way..."

To be fair though, they might already have been on their way without my canvassing - but I like to think I had some effect ;)

MrIca 24-11-2016 09:38

Yes it looks like the document posted the other day has been fed into the cable my street site in some way. The postcodes for those areas seem to all show "we are on our way" now.

Pierre 24-11-2016 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onramp (Post 35871384)
One thing I can recommend doing is writing a note for your neighbours, making over a thousand copies and putting your walking boots on.

I got a minor fracture in my left foot in the process but it's healed up now.

Postcode checked recently changed to: "We're on our way..."

To be fair though, they might already have been on their way without my canvassing - but I like to think I had some effect ;)

That's the way to do it!

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

Just been announced that FTTP customers can now get phones as well. As the VM Voice over cable product is now ready.

Airwaves 24-11-2016 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrIca (Post 35871419)
Yes it looks like the document posted the other day has been fed into the cable my street site in some way. The postcodes for those areas seem to all show "we are on our way" now.

Not saying this isn't true, but my area comes up with the same "We're on our way" comment, but where I live is absent from that list.

It's puzzling because it's not just a generic result, as when you use a postcode for somewhere remote and no where near a Virgin area, it does generate a different response - "Sorry not in the near future" etc.

The only thing happening near here is some new builds which Virgin is being installed, as big white cabinets have appeared near the roadside.

Onramp 24-11-2016 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airwaves (Post 35871453)
Not saying this isn't true, but my area comes up with the same "We're on our way" comment, but where I live is absent from that list.

Our area is not on that list either. I'm speculating a little here, but I think the list is referring to a definition of "Our Communities" that is specific to VM's Project Lightning - which could maybe therefore relate to areas considered to be "slightly remote, but near enough to the network" - and where people have already expressed some interest and are being specifically considered in November. If that's true then if residents there express more interest now, they might have a chance of moving up the queue compared to others.

Interestingly though, if, depending on demand during November, not all of those areas will end up being cabled (as Pierre hints at) then the "We're on our way" message can't be true at this stage for every one of those places, surely. This implies that these communities have until the end of November, at which point, some of them will become "We're no longer on our way"?

Kushan 24-11-2016 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35871439)
Just been announced that FTTP customers can now get phones as well. As the VM Voice over cable product is now ready.

That's the real news right there. I'm hopeful that Virgin will now drop the silly line rental requirement now that the ASA have bitch slapped ISPs for hiding that charge.

sollp 24-11-2016 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35871504)
That's the real news right there. I'm hopeful that Virgin will now drop the silly line rental requirement now that the ASA have bitch slapped ISPs for hiding that charge.

Well that makes alot of money, you can hardly drop a few million off your budget at a stroke

MrIca 24-11-2016 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airwaves (Post 35871453)

It's puzzling because it's not just a generic result, as when you use a postcode for somewhere remote and no where near a Virgin area, it does generate a different response - "Sorry not in the near future" etc.

The only thing happening near here is some new builds which Virgin is being installed, as big white cabinets have appeared near the roadside.

It seems to be the case for Wirral postcodes. But that's all I've checked.

Any postcode I put in from a part of Wirral on that list gives me the "on our way" comment and postcodes for areas not on the list that currently don't have VM, say "not in the near future".

I should add, I live near a Virgin hubsite and am surrounded in every direction by the network. The old part of my road even has it. But I am on a new build estate (we have been adopted by the council) and I get the "not in the near future" message. So it's definitely not generic.

Kushan 24-11-2016 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by sollp (Post 35871524)
Well that makes alot of money, you can hardly drop a few million off your budget at a stroke

I don't disagree at all, but I'd much rather just pay extra for broadband and not have to get line rental as well.

I know I can do that now, but it's "cheaper" with the line rental and that's daft. Just standardise the prices.

MagicTorch 25-11-2016 06:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicTorch (Post 35871376)
Thank you so much for posting this list. My area (Upton Rocks in Widnes) is on the list :). Will try not to get my hopes up too much, as 'Cable My Street' is still saying 'Computer says No', but I really hope that this is a sign that Virgin Media will be heading my way sometime in the near future.

RESULT! As of this morning, when I enter my address on the 'Cable My Street' webpage, the answer is now 'We're are on our way...'

If anyone from VM is reading, thank you!

MrIca 25-11-2016 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicTorch (Post 35871564)
RESULT! As of this morning, when I enter my address on the 'Cable My Street' webpage, the answer is now 'We're are on our way...'

If anyone from VM is reading, thank you!

I wouldn't get too excited. Half of the borough of Wirral (which I appreciate you've probably never heard of but I use as an example) is showing that message. That's 20-30,000 houses. Highly unlikely they'll all be cabled. As Pierre said above only the places that get enough interest will be done.

Kushan 25-11-2016 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35871528)
I don't disagree at all, but I'd much rather just pay extra for broadband and not have to get line rental as well.

I know I can do that now, but it's "cheaper" with the line rental and that's daft. Just standardise the prices.

Just to add to this: "60% only take a land line to get broadband"

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...broadband.html

MrIca 25-11-2016 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35871577)
Just to add to this: "60% only take a land line to get broadband"

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...broadband.html

That won't surprise anyone that works in this industry though.

Kushan 25-11-2016 15:35

I don't think it'll surprise anyone that's ever bought broadband.

sollp 25-11-2016 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kushan (Post 35871528)

Agree and this will happen, but no doubt most people will expect to pay no extra at all