Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Freesat & Freeview (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   IS Freeview really all that? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702159)

DJSADERS 11-01-2016 10:16

IS Freeview really all that?

I brought the XBOX ONE freeview adapter to just get SpikeTV as it's not carried through Virgin, and all my TV runs through the XBOX, but other than that channel i'm not exactly impressed...

I really can't see the whole hype around Freeview...

Can anyone elighten me?

spiderplant 11-01-2016 10:33

Re: IS Freeview really all that?

What hype? It's a basic service and sold as such, isn't it?

oliver1948uk 11-01-2016 10:42

But it isn't sold. It's FREE!

DJSADERS 11-01-2016 10:43

On the advert i saw on telly, they were trying to sell it as the next best thing... things like most of the nations top telly is availiable on freeview... i would highly dispute that after seeing what channels are available...

spiderplant 11-01-2016 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJSADERS (Post 35816800)
On the advert i saw on telly, they were trying to sell it as the next best thing... things like most of the nations top telly is availiable on freeview... i would highly dispute that after seeing what channels are available...

They claim "95% of the most watched programmes are available subscription-free on Freeview – of the highest rated 2,000 programmes in the UK between 1st April to 20th September 2015 based on average audience and all individuals."

I have no reason to doubt it.

http://www.barb.co.uk/whats-new/week...g-summary?_s=4

Chad 11-01-2016 12:55

I think Freeview as a service is pretty good. It's free with no contract which is appealing. It really comes down to what you enjoy watching. Freeview doesn't cater for everyone. I can honestly say that the recordings on our PVR is usually 70% Freeview and 30% pay TV. If I'd have to lose 1 service, I'd lose my premium channels and keep Freeview.

techguyone 11-01-2016 16:14

I'm on virgin freeview only, I wouldn't change it, there's HD & SD, if I need more I turn to KODI

Stephen 11-01-2016 17:26

Freeview is great for what you get. Its free and also has a lot more than it used to. Remember when free TV meant 1-5 channels and nothing else.

So its great as it now has a lot more than that.

Stuart 11-01-2016 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJSADERS (Post 35816800)

Bear in mind that they are talking about the programmes watched by the most people and most of these are on BBC 1 or ITV 1, or (occasionally) BBC2 or Channel 4 (can't think of a single programme on Channel 5 that has been as successful), they are correct.

I use Virgin Media on my main TV, but rather than pay for extra boxes, I just use Freeview on the other TVs.. Freeview is good as a free service.

DJSADERS 11-01-2016 19:07

Maybe i'm thinking about this the wrong way lol... I mainly watch National Geograhic and Discovery... i think what puts me off is the the freeview version (Quest) shows mainly re-runs

Chad 11-01-2016 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJSADERS (Post 35816877)
Maybe i'm thinking about this the wrong way lol... I mainly watch National Geograhic and Discovery... i think what puts me off is the the freeview version (Quest) shows mainly re-runs

Same myself. Also a fan of H2

spiderplant 11-01-2016 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJSADERS (Post 35816877)
M i think what puts me off is the the freeview version (Quest) shows mainly re-runs

But they aren't re-runs if you don't have Discovery and Nat Geo :)

Mr K 11-01-2016 20:49

VM don't carry all the Freeview channels e.g Spike, Talking Pictures, Movies4men. So pay VM and get less freeview channels - go figure!

pip08456 11-01-2016 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35816842)
I'm on virgin freeview only, I wouldn't change it, there's HD & SD, if I need more I turn to KODI

Likewise, Freeview (not Virgin) and KODI, don't need anything else.

alanbjames 17-01-2016 07:59

We have Virgin in the living room but all my bedrooms have free view in them and i find it great.