Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Cross-party group of senators agrees limited gun control measures (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33711106)

1andrew1 12-06-2022 22:16

Cross-party group of senators agrees limited gun control measures

A positive development although I'm sure most of us agree with the US President that even stricter controls would be better.
Quote:

A cross-party group of US senators say they have agreed a framework for potential legislation on gun safety.

The measures would include support for tougher background checks for buyers under the age of 21 and cracking down on illegal gun purchases.

Crucially, the proposals are supported by 10 Republicans, meaning they have the numbers to be voted into law.

President Biden said the plans were "steps in the right direction" but they fall far short of what he called for.

Tens of thousands of protesters rallied across the US on Saturday to call for stricter gun laws in the wake of two mass shootings.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61777310

Chris 12-06-2022 22:25

Re: Cross-party group of senators agrees limited gun control measures

In a country with something like 390 million guns in private ownership, any ‘gun control’ passed into law is, I fear, likely only to make the problem worse. It does nothing to take any of those guns out of circulation or to make them vastly harder to get hold of, and it actively mitigates against meaningful reform by allowing those who are already reluctant to do anything to point to the meagre measures on the statute book as suffice to excuse to do no more.

Sadly that country is going to hell in a handcart and it will take a social revolution for anything to change. Generational change is their only hope.

Hugh 12-06-2022 23:45

A quote I read online

Quote:

It’s better than nothing.

But not much better…

nomadking 13-06-2022 07:44

Seeing as in the Sandy Hook shooting, the shooter wasn't the owner of the guns, and the Uvalde, Texas one was around 50miles from the Mexican border, I'm not sure how these proposals would've changed those incidents.

BenMcr 13-06-2022 08:19

That may be true, but any move towards better controls have to be taken for what they are.

It could have been quite possible that they would have just had another round of 'thoughts and prayers' and 'now is not the time'.

papa smurf 13-06-2022 08:41

Maybe introduce a psychiatric evaluation before being allowed to own a gun,im sure most Americans would fail to be rated as stable enough to own a gun.

tweetiepooh 13-06-2022 09:13

I think part of this is to persuade the NRA and those who use guns as tools and own guns responsibly that it is possible to have legislation to control guns that won't hugely impact themselves.

You could make rules stricter in urban areas, for example, leaving a large number of the "militia" types less affected. Maybe make gun ownership, usage and so on available as lessons at school that you have to attend and pass before you can apply for a firearms license similarly to driver-ed.

Pierre 13-06-2022 10:30

There will never be any meaningful gun control in America.

pip08456 14-06-2022 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36125105)
There will never be any meaningful gun control in America.

That is it in a nutshell. They are just too stupid and the NRA have enough Senators on the payroll to stop any meaningful reform.

ianch99 15-06-2022 11:06

I find it strange that they are not prioritising removal of AR-15 assault rifles. Let's face it, if you need an assault rifle to kill a deer, we have bigger problems :)

Paul 15-06-2022 13:03

They are not to kill deer.
I believe self defence is a legal reason to have them in the US.
I dont see why anyone would need fully automatic rifles though, even for self defence.