Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Pensioners view blocked by Virgin Media cabinet (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705368)

weenie 08-09-2017 09:59

Pensioners view blocked by Virgin Media cabinet

I can understand why this couple have made this complaint after seeing this on the news last night and I cannot help but wonder if VM could have installed them in a more suitable area or was this really the only place these boxes could be installed.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/h...oadband_boxes/

papa smurf 08-09-2017 10:23

Re: Pensioners view blocked by Virgin Media

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35915729)
I can understand why this couple have made this complaint after seeing this on the news last night and I cannot help but wonder if VM could have installed them in a more suitable area or was this really the only place these boxes could be installed.

if the cabinets are cabled up and active it's a big job moving them and very expensive .

Ken W 08-09-2017 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35915732)
if the cabinets are cabled up and active it's a big job moving them and very expensive .

That is Virgin Media's problem.

Would they buy a house with that cabinet in front of their house, I suspect not.

Osem 08-09-2017 11:24

When our road was cabled years ago the cable company wanted to put the green cabinet right next to a neighbour's side wall. They complained on the basis that this would enable anyone who so desired to climb over their wall into their back garden. The company concerned moved it 10m down the hill to just outside their front garden which they were fine with. IIRC little or no cabling had been done at that point so it wasn't a big job.

I can't help thinking that there are times when a little bit of common sense would go a long way but there will always be cases where there's no ideal solution and someone or other is going to have to put up with something they don't like.

papa smurf 08-09-2017 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35915735)
That is Virgin Media's problem.

Would they buy a house with that cabinet in front of their house, I suspect not.

they give notice of their intentions well in advance of starting work and if no objections are raised the work goes ahead .

Osem 08-09-2017 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35915757)
they give notice of their intentions well in advance of starting work and if no objections are raised the work goes ahead .

Do they give notice of how big the damned things are going to be? ;)

It's all a bit of a dilemma. Nobody wants one of these things outside their house I'm sure but they have to go somewhere so someone's going to wind up the loser. It's like street lights, near here there are a number of properties who can't solve their parking problems because there's a street light slap bang in the middle of what would be their drive. They will have known that when buying the house of course but it's still a disadvantage especially now off road parking is at a premium which may not have been the case at the time of purchase.

There's a street near us in which parking was never an issue until the knocked down a small car sales garage and built about a dozen homes on the plot. As usual not enough off road parking was provided for the new properties which meant the nearby residents found it harder to park and one by one had to pay for crossovers to be installed and their small front gardens surfaced over. That's except for the ones with tress, street lamps or road signs right outside...

Ignitionnet 08-09-2017 17:42

Re: Pensioners view blocked by Virgin Media cabinet

Quote:

Originally Posted by weenie (Post 35915729)

I'm going to speculate that that was the cheapest place to put them.

Saying that perhaps the estate is partially public and partially private so options were limited :shrug:

Due to the nature of the cabinets moving them is... problematic.

RichardCoulter 08-09-2017 20:30

What exactly do these large cabinets do? I sometimes pass one that always seems to be making a buzzing noise!

I have a much smaller one outside my home, what are those for?

Thanks.

heero_yuy 08-09-2017 20:34

IIRC Daddy cab has the CATV / BB amplifiers and splitters in, Mummy cab has the phones and Baby cab is a local TV/BB splitting.

Got all three over the road from us.

papa smurf 08-09-2017 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35915806)
What exactly do these large cabinets do? I sometimes pass one that always seems to be making a buzzing noise!

I have a much smaller one outside my home, what are those for?

Thanks.

the big on is a telephony mux cab and cross connexion point ' the medium size is an O F amplifier /splitters / feed cables and power supply this supplies signal to the smaller cabs with amplifiers in them to distribute the signal

Paul 08-09-2017 21:58

Presumably they have to go somewhere on the street, so if they moved them, someone else would then be blocked ?

(I always thought VM Cabs were green as well, they all are around here).

papa smurf 08-09-2017 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35915819)
Presumably they have to go somewhere on the street, so if they moved them, someone else would then be blocked ?

(I always thought VM Cabs were green as well, they all are around here).

a grey cabinet is 10 degrees cooler inside than a green one due to it's reflective properties so grey has become the new green

Paul 08-09-2017 22:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35915822)
a grey cabinet is 10 degrees cooler inside than a green one due to it's reflective properties

Is that actually true, or are you making it up :erm:

papa smurf 08-09-2017 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35915823)
Is that actually true, or are you making it up :erm:

no it's true the company carried out studies on similar cabs in spain ,in the summer months in this country cabs are plagued with overheating problems ,but grey ones fair much better.

Onramp 08-09-2017 23:00

It might have been a better choice to put them in a place where the types of residents were less likely to be of the complaining variety - both for the benefit of the residents and the company. I think though, VM have changed the way they decide where to put these MSAN boxes, so the problem should be less pronounced in newer areas where community consultations of the plans take place. Wherever you put it however, there will always be at least one person that can't support that amount of change and will write a strongly worded letter.

Sorry if that sounds bitter. I have 700kb/s upload here :D