Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Re-Usable Water (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33686053)

Barewolf 04-03-2012 13:17

Re-Usable Water

I'm trying to find out some information on how to filter and store rainwater so it can be re-used in general daily living, IE; Garden Irrigation, Drinking, Wine Making etc.

I don't know where to start, and I don't want to buy a water tank and end up finding out i bought the wrong thing.

Is it possible to collect rainwater, and store it in containers, and then re use this as drinking water?

What about water becoming stagnant in hot weather?

How do you keep the water filtered?

Taf 04-03-2012 13:53

Re: Re-Usable Water

I would never drink roof-collected rainwater unless it had been treated, birds poop on your roof you know! The cost of boiling to sterilise for other purposes would not be cost-effective either. But as grey water it's ideal for car washing, plant watering, etc.

I fitted guttering around our brick shed, the downpipe feeds into 2 water butts that then supply me with water for the fish pools (ideal as there is no chlorine or heavy metals in it) and garden. You can buy attachments for your house downpipes that allow collection for water in butts.

The water will stagnate, especially if "wildlife" gets in it, but I just make sure I use it within a week or so, so that it is still "fresh". A few drops of washing up liquid will break the surface tension, killing any mossie larvae that get in as they won't be able to breath at the surface. The lack of surface tension also makes the water ideal for hanging baskets, pots, etc. as it will "wet" the compost easier. NO detergent for the fishpool water storage though!!!!!

I empty the butts and leave the taps open during the winter to prevent freezing damage.

colin25 04-03-2012 13:54

Is this any good?

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/fo...hp?topic=17252

Don't worry, there are no naked scientists (on the site) :D

Barewolf 04-03-2012 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35392593)
Is this any good?

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/fo...hp?topic=17252

Don't worry, there are no naked scientists (on the site) :D

According to the link from this, using this method you could save over £600 a year in water charges, Amazing info from this link cheers :)

Just goes to show how much these companies make from us, when with a little knowledge and hard work, you can make your own water system

martyh 04-03-2012 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barewolf (Post 35392612)
According to the link from this, using this method you could save over £600 a year in water charges, Amazing info from this link cheers :)

Just goes to show how much these companies make from us, when with a little knowledge and hard work, you can make your own water system

I could see the advantages if you have a water meter but if not i would say that using rainwater for drinking is not going to be feasible cost wise .I would also say don't take too much notice of that £600 figure those sort of guesstimates are rarely accurate and people are often disappointed with the savings.

danielf 04-03-2012 14:35

I don't think I pay anywhere near £600 a year in water rates, and that includes sewage charges, so £600 pa savings seem rather unlikely.

Kymmy 04-03-2012 14:38

Just remember that one mistake with home made water filtering/processing could end up with yourself or a family member seriously ill in hospital..

colin25 04-03-2012 14:47

Try living in Scotland...so much water here we can't even give it away (nor would we, got to make money some how :D)

Barewolf 04-03-2012 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 35392627)
Just remember that one mistake with home made water filtering/processing could end up with yourself or a family member seriously ill in hospital..

Hence me asking in the forum. I'm still studying the process used by other people on Youtube, and reading up what I can find online.

As far as I can tell, you need a 1st flush system, that is able to filter the rainwater. People are using 2 filters or more. And an overflow pipe to take away excess water to ponds.

I also noticed people used a tap at the bottom of the tank for garden water, and the house water (Drinkable) at about 1/4 the way up from the bottom.

I don't know if this is all that's needed, some look very complicated, others look very simple. But i wouldn't carry out this project if i wasn't 100% sure it was safe at the end of it all.

Kymmy 04-03-2012 15:10

Any stored rainwater will not be 100% drinkable without using a process such as filtering/reverse osmosis and boiling/chemical sterilizing.. As already said in this thread you have bird crap and gawd knows what being flushed down off the roof.. Some stuff will settle where others will dissolve into the water.

Most disease control centres regard bird poo as a major health hazard and a possible disease carrier.

Barewolf 04-03-2012 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 35392649)
Any stored rainwater will not be 100% drinkable without using a process such as filtering/reverse osmosis and boiling/chemical sterilizing.. As already said in this thread you have bird crap and gawd knows what being flushed down off the roof.. Some stuff will settle where others will dissolve into the water.

Most disease control centres regard bird poo as a major health hazard and a possible disease carrier.

Would Doulton ceramic candle filter be enough?

Dont you have a water system set up Kymmy? Im sure someone on the forum has one.

colin25 04-03-2012 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymmy (Post 35392649)

To be honest..i don't need disease control centre telling me anything about poo...my rule of thumb..if it is coming out that end..best to avoid :D

danielf 04-03-2012 15:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin25 (Post 35392659)
..my rule of thumb..if it is coming out that end..best to avoid :D

What? Your thumb?

martyh 04-03-2012 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barewolf (Post 35392651)
Would Doulton ceramic candle filter be enough?

Dont you have a water system set up Kymmy? Im sure someone on the forum has one.

To be honest mate i would steer clear of using the water for drinking ,we are in the 21st century ;) .How much rain can you gather compared to how much you use .Use it for the garden,chickens and possibly wine making as long as you filter and boil it

Kymmy 04-03-2012 15:29

Not me, I'm not stupid enough to risk my health..Wiki says it all with this line
Quote:

Originally Posted by wikipedia
Simple procedures such as boiling or the use of a household activated carbon filter are not sufficient for treating all the possible contaminants

The water we drink from the taps normally has gone through a number of processes starting with filtration, deionization (or at very least a high pressure fed reverse osmosis which does both purposes) and finally a disinfection (various methods) which removes
Quote:

Originally Posted by wikipedia
Possible pathogens include viruses, bacteria, including Salmonella, Cholera, Campylobacter and Shigella, and protozoa, including Giardia lamblia and other cryptosporidia

Not all water in the world needs such processes especially from underground sources but they have been filtered through the rocks which acts as a filter/deioniser but water from a surface run-off (lake, river, roof fed water butt) definitely will need all the above