Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Wireless Router - STB (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=22737)

dwe01 16-01-2005 23:16

Wireless Router - STB

First posting from me.

I plan to set-up a wireless network for my sister, could anyone suggest some recommendations for 54G Wireless Routers to be use with a STB.

Thanks

David

nffc 16-01-2005 23:18

Re: Wireless Router - STB

Belkin, Linksys, Netgear- take your pick, they're all good.

daz300 16-01-2005 23:26

i have a belkin g wireless router 5 mins to set up . v good .

nffc 16-01-2005 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by daz300
i have a belkin g wireless router 5 mins to set up . v good .

As did mine but it took an age to get it secure.

daz300 16-01-2005 23:34

i have not done that yet so do not tell the peple next door !!;)

Raistlin 16-01-2005 23:40

I use a Linksys one (as per my signature).

Very reliable, nice and easy to set up, and the security configuration is a breeze.

nffc 16-01-2005 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by daz300
i have not done that yet so do not tell the peple next door !!;)

Oops, I just have... :P

daz300 16-01-2005 23:47

:Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes:

zovat 17-01-2005 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwe01
First posting from me.

:welcome:
Quote:

I plan to set-up a wireless network for my sister, could anyone suggest some recommendations for 54G Wireless Routers to be use with a STB.

Thanks

David

As stated, any of the above manufacturers will be fine.(I use the WRTG54 as well)

I would suggest that you clone the MAC address from the existing PC, as the STB requires that you register each MAC address individualy.
This is normally pretty simple (note that this will be the MAC of the ethernet port, not the wireless). and involves connecting to the router through a normal ethernet cable, and then clone the MAC onto the router.

HTH

dwe01 18-01-2005 05:00

Zovat,

Thanks for the info, however I thought once you have registered the MAC address of the WAN port of the router with STB, then there was no need to register any of the pc's on the wireless network?

Chris1973 18-01-2005 07:27

Hi David,

Might be worth giving actiontec a look, I use one of their wireless routers and they seem to be reliable. Good luck!

Cheers, Chris. :tu:

JohnHorb 18-01-2005 07:49

Quote:

Zovat,

Thanks for the info, however I thought once you have registered the MAC address of the WAN port of the router with STB, then there was no need to register any of the pc's on the wireless network?

Quite right. The suggestion of cloning the original PC's ethernet MAC address as that of the router WAN port simply avoids the need to register any new MAC address.

zovat 18-01-2005 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnHorb
Quite right. The suggestion of cloning the original PC's ethernet MAC address as that of the router WAN port simply avoids the need to register any new MAC address.

That is correct - I was merely looking to exclude the MAC address as an issue here (and have seen far too many cases where the reg server is down ;) )

gary_580 18-01-2005 09:50

I use the Linksys WRT54GS, its the worst piece of junk i've ever owned. I had 2 PC's connected to it, one was hard wired and the other was wireless. The wireless one was only in the next room but it was persitently diconnecting and reconnecting. The Linksys support is worse than useless, all they get you to do is keep changing frequency until you give up the will to live. The only way i managed to resolve this was to hard wire both PC's which defeats the object of having a wireless router.

My advice would be to avoid Linksys. You dont have to google very much to see that there are many many cases of this same issue.

Raistlin 18-01-2005 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary_580
I use the Linksys WRT54GS, its the worst piece of junk i've ever owned. I had 2 PC's connected to it, one was hard wired and the other was wireless. The wireless one was only in the next room but it was persitently diconnecting and reconnecting. The Linksys support is worse than useless, all they get you to do is keep changing frequency until you give up the will to live. The only way i managed to resolve this was to hard wire both PC's which defeats the object of having a wireless router.

My advice would be to avoid Linksys. You dont have to google very much to see that there are many many cases of this same issue.

Had exactly the same problem with this router.

Phoned Linksys Support, moved the frequency to the one which was furthest from default, problem solved.
Wireless devices will (and have to) accept interference from other wireless devices. Sometime a bit of fiddling is necessary.