Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705369)

Damien 11-01-2018 15:39

Re: Brexit discussion

This wasn't really good or bad news. It was a remark presented as a done deal. Anyone reading that article would think the UK had suddenly arranged a bunch of trade deals.

1andrew1 11-01-2018 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35932013)
This wasn't really good or bad news. It was a remark presented as a done deal. Anyone reading that article would think the UK had suddenly arranged a bunch of trade deals.

I don't blame the readers (we all lead busy lives) but it's disappointing that The Sun is still publishing what is in effect fake news and people are believing it.

Dave42 11-01-2018 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35932071)
I don't blame the readers (we all lead busy lives) but it's disappointing that The Sun is still publishing what is in effect fake news and people are believing it.

you know that and truth don't go together right

1andrew1 11-01-2018 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35932074)

Hillsborough proved that to many people. But as we saw in post 1548, people are still being deceived by The Sun through no fault of their own.

Mick 12-01-2018 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35932074)

Especially if it’s written in the guardian as well..... :rolleyes:

Stuart 12-01-2018 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35931974)
When the news is quoted from senior government figures that's usually factual enough even in the Sun.

Yes, and no.

Yes, Senior government figures are in the best position to report the facts on what the government is doing, but you have to remember that they may also be slightly desperate to make the government is doing something.

My reading of this is those countries have indicated an interest in talking about matching the existing agreements. That does not mean they have agreed to match the existing agreements, just that they want to talk about it.

That is not the same thing as keeping the existing agreements at all.

denphone 12-01-2018 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35932118)
Especially if it’s written in the guardian as well..... :rolleyes:

And many others as one knows only too well..

Mick 12-01-2018 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35932128)
And many others as one knows only too well..

Spot on, but as usual the lefties and over sensitive types, choose to be one sided as usual Den. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 10:49 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35932126)
Yes, and no.

Yes, Senior government figures are in the best position to report the facts on what the government is doing, but you have to remember that they may also be slightly desperate to make the government is doing something.

My reading of this is those countries have indicated an interest in talking about matching the existing agreements. That does not mean they have agreed to match the existing agreements, just that they want to talk about it.

That is not the same thing as keeping the existing agreements at all.

Rubbish, you cannot have it both ways. A quote is a quote by a political figure FFS. :rolleyes:

Stuart 12-01-2018 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35932131)
Rubbish, you cannot have it both ways. A quote is a quote by a political figure FFS. :rolleyes:

You apparently missed the point of my post.

I wasn't actually talking about any specific quote when I said "Yes and No". I was answering "When the news is quoted from senior government figures that's usually factual enough even in the Sun.". You can quote someone word for word, but if the facts they quote are not accurate or are misleading, the facts you quote will either not be accurate or will be misleading. The government frequently does this on all subjects.

Mick 12-01-2018 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35932136)
You apparently missed the point of my post.

I wasn't actually talking about any specific quote when I said "Yes and No". I was answering "When the news is quoted from senior government figures that's usually factual enough even in the Sun.". You can quote someone word for word, but if the facts they quote are not accurate or are misleading, the facts you quote will either not be accurate or will be misleading. The government frequently does this on all subjects.

I missed no such thing. I got your post and I disagree because it’s lobsided rubbish. A quote is a quote.

Damien 12-01-2018 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35932140)
I missed no such thing. I got your post and I disagree because it’s lobsided rubbish. A quote is a quote.

No one is disputing the quote. Just that a quote means we have trade deals already sorted, it doesn't. The bills need to be created and passed in their respective parliaments.

1andrew1 12-01-2018 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35932140)

I think what he's saying is that chucking a random quote into an article doesn't make the rest of the article factually correct.

Mick 12-01-2018 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35932151)
I think what he's saying is that chucking a random quote into an article doesn't make the rest of the article factually correct.

Sigh.

A quote is a quote!

How many more times do I have to repeat myself? :rolleyes:

1andrew1 12-01-2018 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35932156)
Sigh.

A quote is a quote!

How many more times do I have to repeat myself? :rolleyes:

That's not the question so why do you keep repeating yourself?
Are you saying that you can make a fake news article in The Sun correct by adding in a random quote?

Mick 12-01-2018 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35932163)
That's not the question so why do you keep repeating yourself?
Are you saying that you can make a fake news article in The Sun correct by adding in a random quote?

4th time. A quote is a quote! It is not hard. Crikey is it a slow day on here or what ?