Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Petition to try and block Murdoch taking over Sky & it's channels. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704147)

RichardCoulter 16-12-2016 23:02

Petition to try and block Murdoch taking over Sky & it's channels.

Various threads have mentioned the fact that Murdoch is to gain control of Sky.

Some aren't happy about this, so here is a petition that's been mentioned in the press to try to persuade the Government to block this deal:

https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/1719

Mad Max 17-12-2016 01:23

Re: Petition to try and block Murdoch taking over Sky & it's channels.

No way, let him get Sky I say.....................:)

Hugh 17-12-2016 01:24

Market economics....

theone2k10 17-12-2016 02:22

What about vm getting control or trying too of all cable companies in uk then?

OLD BOY 17-12-2016 12:22

Some people will object to anything. It's a wonder we achieve anything in this country these days.

Maggy 17-12-2016 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35876182)
Some people will object to anything. It's a wonder we achieve anything in this country these days.

So objecting to monopolies is wrong then.Questioning the government is wrong then?:rolleyes:

denphone 17-12-2016 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35876182)

Well we are a country where free opinion is allowed last time l looked and that means one is allowed to voice a opinion and of course that sentiment also applies to others who might have a different opinion on these things.

nomadking 17-12-2016 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35876185)
So objecting to monopolies is wrong then.Questioning the government is wrong then?:rolleyes:

How is it a monopoly? Sky is already a separate entity. However if Sky and VM were to merge, then that would be a monopoly. Sky is mainly a broadcaster of content that OTHERS have produced and that Sky has no control over.

OLD BOY 17-12-2016 13:00

Quote:

Sky was not a monopoly when I last looked and nor was News Corp.

We elect our government and then the people who didn't vote for it use spoiler tactics to try to prevent them carrying out their manifesto commitments.

This petition is just a personal crusade against the Murdochs, and it's quite wrong.

passingbat 17-12-2016 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35876201)
We elect our government and then the people who didn't vote for it use spoiler tactics to try to prevent them carrying out their manifesto commitments.

Did I just stumble on to a European Referendum thread? You got it spot on OB; You Remainers stop bleating; you lost. Stop delaying our exit! ;)

theone2k10 17-12-2016 16:14

Quote:

So the same can be said for VM then? They have a monopoly over the uk cable network.

Mr Banana 17-12-2016 18:17

I thought the concerns were more about Murdoch having control over news media output i.e. Sky News, The Sun etc rather than owning 100% of Sky

OLD BOY 17-12-2016 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35876230)
So the same can be said for VM then? They have a monopoly over the uk cable network.

Er - didn't the cable companies lay the cables in the first place? The cables belong to Virgin Media now quite legitimately.

Is there any law in place preventing others from laying cables?

---------- Post added at 18:18 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Banana (Post 35876243)
I thought the concerns were more about Murdoch having control over news media output i.e. Sky News, The Sun etc rather than owning 100% of Sky

That's right, and it should be noted that the Murdochs have already offered to have an independent editorial board to ensure the impartiality required.

As I said, this is just a personal grudge that some people have against the Murdoch family.

Love 'em or hate 'em, they have a perfectly legitimate right to run their businesses and people really need to get over their attitude towards them.

RichardCoulter 17-12-2016 19:55

It's the way they run their businesses that I have a problem with.

OLD BOY 17-12-2016 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35876260)

I don't like Sky witholding content but this seems to be acceptable practice in the media industry. Not so much of an issue with the Murdochs on the running of their newspapers (except that the phone hacking scandal was unacceptable). Most of us dislike the amount of influence the Murdochs have over Government policy, but they do it because they can. The fault lies with the politicians who allow this undue influence to take place.

denphone 17-12-2016 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35876260)

And the nefarious and pervasive grip in which they still have influence on politicians and the establishment despite the Leveson inquiry and the News international hacking scandal.

OLD BOY 17-12-2016 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35876268)
And the nefarious and pervasive grip in which they still have influence on politicians and the establishment despite the Leveson inquiry and the News international hacking scandal.

People always take advantage of weakness. Our politicians need to step up and ensure that this kind of influence comes to an end.

If you had the PM's ear, wouldn't you try to get your oar in?

denphone 17-12-2016 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35876270)
People always take advantage of weakness. Our politicians need to step up and ensure that this kind of influence comes to an end.

If you had the PM's ear, wouldn't you try to get your oar in?

The trouble with politicians and that includes all parties OB is they will always come out with big words and then follow that by doing nothing as sadly the only thing they are good at is obfuscating and insincerity.

Onramp 17-12-2016 20:22

Meh. If he trys to purchase Liberty Global as well, that when it's time to worry.

OLD BOY 17-12-2016 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35876273)
The trouble with politicians and that includes all parties OB is they will always come out with big words and then follow that by doing nothing as sadly the only thing they are good at is obfuscating and insincerity.

I know, old chap, but you can't blame the Murdochs for pushing at an open door. It's the politicians that need to sort themselves out.

They never will, of course because that's the nature of the beast.

theone2k10 17-12-2016 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35876249)
Er - didn't the cable companies lay the cables in the first place? The cables belong to Virgin Media now quite legitimately.

---------- Post added at 18:18 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

That's right, and it should be noted that the Murdochs have already offered to have an independent editorial board to ensure the impartiality required.

As I said, this is just a personal grudge that some people have against the Murdoch family.

Love 'em or hate 'em, they have a perfectly legitimate right to run their businesses and people really need to get over their attitude towards them.

Is there any laws in anyone else setting up a sattelite company?
I think you like me though can see how silly this pertition is.

passingbat 17-12-2016 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35876270)
People always take advantage of weakness.

So you want to give someone like that more media influence? Interesting. And worrying.

Maggy 18-12-2016 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35876249)

Exactly!

Paul 18-12-2016 00:45

I wont be signing it.

Why ?

Because I really dont give a toss who owns sky, seriously, its of no consequence to me at all.

pip08456 18-12-2016 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35876326)
I wont be signing it.

Why ?

Because I really dont give a toss who owns sky, seriously, its of no consequence to me at all.

Likewise!

theone2k10 18-12-2016 01:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35876326)
I wont be signing it.

Why ?

This.

OLD BOY 18-12-2016 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35876307)
So you want to give someone like that more media influence? Interesting. And worrying.

What I'm saying is give the man a break. He is not doing anything illegal and it's the politicians who allow themselves to be manipulated.

Never blame the rainbows for the rain.

paultrademark 18-12-2016 14:04

Why is this in the VM TV Service forum?

pip08456 18-12-2016 14:08

Because the OP thinks it relates to VMTV.

passingbat 18-12-2016 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultrademark (Post 35876388)

I suppose a new owner for Sky, could affect the channels that VM get access to.

paultrademark 18-12-2016 14:19

Shall we start putting weather forecasts in here too?

passingbat 18-12-2016 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultrademark (Post 35876397)
Shall we start putting weather forecasts in here too?

Given that weather does not affect cable in any way then, no.

You could just ignore the thread if it annoys you so much.

spiderplant 18-12-2016 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35876400)
Given that weather does not affect cable in any way then, no.

Could put it in the satellite forum, though ;)

Horizon 18-12-2016 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35876131)
Various threads have mentioned the fact that Murdoch is to gain control of Sky.

Some aren't happy about this, so here is a petition that's been mentioned in the press to try to persuade the Government to block this deal:

https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/1719

Bizarre....

Sky has been Murdoch's company from the beginning.

As I am sure everyone knows, he set up the original Sky company then merged it with BSB a few years later.

Although there were other shareholders from that point on, Murdoch held the largest shareholding in the merged BSkyB and controlled the board, giving him effective control of the company. Most of the original shareholders of BSB either sold their stakes, or downsized their stakes after the merger with Sky. Pearson being one of them.

And for those that like trivia, guess who was also one of those original shareholders in BSB..... yep, Virgin.

In TV terms, there's the pre Sky era, of no choice, but quality tv. And the post Sky era of oodles of choice and crap tv.

Thank you Rupert...

OLD BOY 18-12-2016 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35876432)
Bizarre....

Sky has been Murdoch's company from the beginning.

As I am sure everyone knows, he set up the original Sky company then merged it with BSB a few years later.

Although there were other shareholders from that point on, Murdoch held the largest shareholding in the merged BSkyB and controlled the board, giving him effective control of the company. Most of the original shareholders of BSB either sold their stakes, or downsized their stakes after the merger with Sky. Pearson being one of them.

And for those that like trivia, guess who was also one of those original shareholders in BSB..... yep, Virgin.

In TV terms, there's the pre Sky era, of no choice, but quality tv. And the post Sky era of oodles of choice and crap tv.

Thank you Rupert...

Exactly. A non issue, really.

RichardCoulter 19-12-2016 16:21

AIUI the Murdoch family currently only own 39% of Sky.

pip08456 19-12-2016 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35876586)

Correct.

Horizon 19-12-2016 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35876586)

Murdoch controls Sky and always has. I've had similar discussions about John Malone on this forum, as some people believe he doesn't control his companies based on his shareholdings.

It's the difference between "De Facto" control and "De Jure" control.

De Facto means "in effect", the reality on the ground, whereas De Jure means "in accordance with the law".

Murdoch and Malone have de facto control of their companies, if not necessarily de jure control, full legal ownership. This is done through numerous ways, including their large shareholdings. But they also control their boards, so even if some directors may "legally" be independent, they're not. They take their orders from the media moguls.

It will bore everyone to death if I talk in detail on here about the BSB and Sky merger, and besides you can google it the same as I. But, from the merger onwards, Murdoch had de facto control of the merged company, just not full legal ownership, de jeure, which he will now have.

Murdoch, is, in effect, selling his own company to himself.

passingbat 19-12-2016 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35876431)

I guess so. But not all cable users enter the 'enemy part of town' ;):D. And it could, for better, or for worse, affect the channels that VM receive from Sky. Therefore, I personally don't find it out of place here.

RichardCoulter 19-12-2016 23:58

...plus Sky isn't just satellite anymore.

I wonder if things will get any better or worse for VM & it's customers if this deal goes through?

If Murdoch had effective control of Sky anyway, I suspect it won't make any difference either way.

pip08456 20-12-2016 00:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35876610)
Murdoch controls Sky and always has. I've had similar discussions about John Malone on this forum, as some people believe he doesn't control his companies based on his shareholdings.

It's the difference between "De Facto" control and "De Jure" control.

De Facto means "in effect", the reality on the ground, whereas De Jure means "in accordance with the law".

Murdoch and Malone have de facto control of their companies, if not necessarily de jure control, full legal ownership. This is done through numerous ways, including their large shareholdings. But they also control their boards, so even if some directors may "legally" be independent, they're not. They take their orders from the media moguls.

It will bore everyone to death if I talk in detail on here about the BSB and Sky merger, and besides you can google it the same as I. But, from the merger onwards, Murdoch had de facto control of the merged company, just not full legal ownership, de jeure, which he will now have.

Murdoch, is, in effect, selling his own company to himself.

I look forward to your more extensive missive. The only de facto holdings the Murdoch family have had in Sky since 2011 is via their 20th Century Fox holdings of 39%, If you can prove otherwise then please do so.

Maggy 20-12-2016 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35876431)

Or even current affairs..

Horizon 20-12-2016 00:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35876694)
I look forward to your more extensive missive. The only de facto holdings the Murdoch family have had in Sky since 2011 is via their 20th Century Fox holdings of 39%, If you can prove otherwise then please do so.

Please re-read my post which explained the difference between de facto and de jure. It's not de facto holdings...

If that is not convincing enough, look at the management of BSkyB over its entire history and see if there are any inklings as to whom the management's allegiance has been to. Clue: it hasn't been to Pearson, Virgin, Granada or the other BSB shareholders....

Look at the history of the top people like Sam Chisholm, Andrew Neil, Chase Carey. You might wish to look at who the current chairman is, that will give you a clue who is in de facto control of the company... If that doesn't assist you, you may wish to explore what branding the merged company used.... or what technology they used...

pip08456 20-12-2016 01:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35876696)
Please re-read my post which explained the difference between de facto and de jure. It's not de facto holdings, that's de jure...

If that is not convincing enough, look at the management of BSkyB over its entire history and see if there are any inklings as to whom the management's allegiance has been to. Clue: it hasn't been to Pearson, Virgin, Granada or the other BSB shareholders....

Don't expect me to research a point that you want to put over.

You do the research and you prove your point.

I do know the difference between de facto and de jure BTW.

Horizon 20-12-2016 01:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35876700)
Don't expect me to research a point that you want to put over.

You do the research and you prove your point.

I do know the difference between de facto and de jure BTW.

You're the one trying to make the point not me. I know the Murdoch's control Sky, it is you who think they don't.

The fact that you said that Murdoch has de facto holdings of 39% demonstrates you don't understand the difference. That's de jure... You also probably think to control a company you must own more than 50% of a companies' shares...

Point 1: After the merger Murdoch held a 50% stake in BskyB. All other shareholders held smaller stakes and could not outvote him.
Point 2: After the merger Murdoch's man (Chisholm) became boss of the company. Murdoch became chairman with de facto control over the board.
Point 3: The sky branding and technology was used for the merged company.

That's 3 clear reasons why Murdoch did then and still does now, control Sky.

1andrew1 20-12-2016 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35876688)
...plus Sky isn't just satellite anymore.

I wonder if things will get any better or worse for VM & it's customers if this deal goes through?

If Murdoch had effective control of Sky anyway, I suspect it won't make any difference either way.

For anyone still doubting the control Fox has over Sky, they should consider the withdrawal of the Fox channel from the BT TV platform. Of course, it might be coincidence but that move won't have done Sky any harm but has lost Fox some revenue from BT.

Paul 20-12-2016 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultrademark (Post 35876388)

I dont know, moved to Sky forum.

RichardCoulter 20-12-2016 17:05

Because I was interested in how this takeover would affect VM customers, to which I've come to the conclusion that it will be business as usual.

Also, Sky isn't just a satellite company anymore; they have a presence on Freeview, Freesat and streaming services.

Nevertheless, it will give exposure to Sky customers who may wish to contribute to the discussion.

passingbat 20-12-2016 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35876821)
Because I was interested in how this takeover would affect VM customers,.

I agree.

RichardCoulter 22-12-2016 14:39

According to the first article on The Media Show yesterday, Ofcom has a regulatory duty to ensure that those holding a broadcasting licence are "fit and proper" to do so.

As this is an ongoing duty, this won't be looked at when/if they first gain control!

They will, however, want to ensure that neutrality is in place and maintained from day one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dv9hq

Jacquesb 22-12-2016 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35877217)
According to the first article on The Media Show yesterday, Ofcom has a regulatory duty to ensure that those holding a broadcasting licence are "fit and proper" to do so.

As this is an ongoing duty, this won't be looked at when/if they first gain control!

They will, however, want to ensure that neutrality is in place and maintained from day one:

So the question really is whether Murdoch is "fit + proper". IMHO, he is not. His input to the EC referendum was skewed somewhat - he stated that while Downing St will listen & do as he tells them, Brussels wouldn't even listen to him.

passingbat 22-12-2016 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacquesb (Post 35877233)
So the question really is whether Murdoch is "fit + proper". IMHO, he is not. His input to the EC referendum was skewed somewhat - he stated that while Downing St will listen & do as he tells them, Brussels wouldn't even listen to him.

Given that he's not British, he shouldn't have been sticking his nose into the referendum anyway, given that, whether we like it or not, he has unmerited influence.

So, to save me some research, was he a remainer or leaver? More importantly, what were his motives? We know why globalist Obama tried to use threats to make us stay in.

muppetman11 22-12-2016 20:10

He pulls the strings at Sky already what's going to change ?

passingbat 22-12-2016 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35877262)
He pulls the strings at Sky already what's going to change ?

He would officially be able to pull the strings. A distinct difference in my view.

muppetman11 22-12-2016 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35877267)
He would officially be able to pull the strings. A distinct difference in my view.

And how is that going to change our lives ? :D

Mr K 22-12-2016 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35877217)

I wouldn't worry Richard, a few backhanders/knighthoods and that will all be sorted. Murdoch has had every UK govt in his pocket. The hacking thing was a minor temporary inconvenience.

RichardCoulter 23-12-2016 21:39

Absolutely.

Still, as long as the sheep can get Sky Sports et al, I suspect most won't care at all.

martyh 24-12-2016 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35877471)
Absolutely.

Still, as long as the sheep can get Sky Sports et al, I suspect most won't care at all.

Are you blaming Sky subscribers for the shortcomings of Murdoch

Mr K 24-12-2016 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35877505)
Are you blaming Sky subscribers for the shortcomings of Murdoch

Well they do kind of provide a little of his income...

OLD BOY 09-01-2017 17:34

People subscribing to Sky do so for the technology and the content. They don't pay their money because they love the Murdochs.

TheDaddy 13-01-2017 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35879794)
People subscribing to Sky do so for the technology and the content. They don't pay their money because they love the Murdochs.

Funnily enough when I worked for ondigital so many people said they subscribed because they didn't want to put money in the dirty diggers pocket, I'd go as far as saying it was the most popular reason after exclusive champions league football matches

RichardCoulter 23-02-2017 00:39

Yes, it's not always about the product.

Despite liking it's product, i've stopped using a certain coffeeshop because of their attitude towards tax- I know one or two who've done the same.

denphone 01-03-2017 07:34

Rupert Murdoch’s Sky bid could soon face UK investigation.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...century-fox-eu

Quote:

Culture secretary expected to refer takeover to Ofcom after 21st Century Fox formally notifies EU competition regulator

Maggy 01-03-2017 10:04

Bah! It will go through..Our politicians are so hypocritical at times that there will be very little discussion about it from any side. Murdoch has them running scared.

denphone 01-03-2017 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35887943)
Bah! It will go through..Our politicians are so hypocritical at times that there will be very little discussion about it from any side. Murdoch has them running scared.

Indeed exactly as many of Theresa May's insincere soundbite's a while back have utterly no substance at all thus so far..

Mr K 02-03-2017 18:06

Petitions are pointless and give the signatories the impression they've something (e.g. the ban Trump petition, which was wholly ignored).
Far more effective for the public to just boycott all Murdoch's media outlets. However after all he's done, I guess the brain dead masses are too apathetic.

denphone 03-03-2017 19:26

The culture secretary has said that she is likely to refer Rupert Murdoch’s £11.7bn takeover bid for Sky to Ofcom.

Quote:

“I have, today, written to the parties to inform them that I am ‘minded to’ issue a European intervention notice on the basis that I have concerns that there may be public interest considerations,” she said, in a statement issued minutes after the European commission confirmed that Fox had formally notified it about the takeover bid.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...rt-murdoch-fox

Maggy 04-03-2017 10:06

I'm not holding my breath. After all the 2nd half of the Levison report has been kicked into the long grass because it was part of the last gang's decisions.

1andrew1 15-03-2017 16:28

Back in the day, Murdoch was confident that Sky was going to be free forever (see 1:49)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrOOTF6CKNA

RichardCoulter 15-03-2017 18:51

I remember that Andrew, then in 1993 the spin was that they had to start charging to provide quality entertainment blah blah blah.

1andrew1 15-03-2017 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35890110)
I remember that Andrew, then in 1993 the spin was that they had to start charging to provide quality entertainment blah blah blah.

I thought it was interesting in the interview when Murdoch said that they won't charge customers but will charge cable companies.

RichardCoulter 16-03-2017 06:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35890116)
I thought it was interesting in the interview when Murdoch said that they won't charge customers but will charge cable companies.

In the nineties, Sky used to say that they basically just viewed cable TV companies as another income stream.

These days they obviously see them as serious competition.

denphone 16-03-2017 12:54

Rupert Murdoch's Sky bid to be investigated by UK regulator.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...y-bid-uk-ofcom

Maggy 16-03-2017 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35890255)
Rupert Murdoch's Sky bid to be investigated by UK regulator.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...y-bid-uk-ofcom

Not holding my breath..

denphone 16-03-2017 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35890260)
Not holding my breath..

One suspects they will say we have conducted a thorough review of it all and we cannot see any problem at all with it.

OLD BOY 25-05-2017 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35890270)
One suspects they will say we have conducted a thorough review of it all and we cannot see any problem at all with it.

That's right, because they will find that there's no basis on which to block Mr Murdoch from getting what he wants.

He may not be well liked, but any refusal to grant permission must have a proper and legal basis.

If they come to a surprise and perverse decision to block this, he will appeal and win. Decisions of this nature cannot be made on the basis of how liked the person is.

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35880416)
Funnily enough when I worked for ondigital so many people said they subscribed because they didn't want to put money in the dirty diggers pocket, I'd go as far as saying it was the most popular reason after exclusive champions league football matches

Well, I'm not stopping my subscription to Sky and Now TV because Rupert Murdoch gets control. I value Now TV too much to give that up. I'm not cutting off my nose to spite my face!

Maggy 25-05-2017 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35900395)
That's right, because they will find that there's no basis on which to block Mr Murdoch from getting what he wants.

He may not be well liked, but any refusal to grant permission must have a proper and legal basis.

If they come to a surprise and perverse decision to block this, he will appeal and win. Decisions of this nature cannot be made on the basis of how liked the person is.

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------

Well, I'm not stopping my subscription to Sky and Now TV because Rupert Murdoch gets control. I value Now TV too much to give that up. I'm not cutting off my nose to spite my face!

Monopolies never work well for consumers..

denphone 26-05-2017 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35900412)

As we can see all around us with higher bills and poorer service...

muppetman11 26-05-2017 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35900412)

What exactly does Sky have a monopoly on these days ?

denphone 29-06-2017 13:05

Karen Bradley says she is minded to refer Rupert Murdoch bid for Sky to CMA for full investigation.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

Maggy 29-06-2017 13:24

Minded? I suspect that Tom Watson has it right.

Quote:

He says he thinks Bradley will be written up as a “tough operator” on the basis of this. But Rupert Murdoch will then come up with fresh undertakings in lieu, that were in his back pocket. Bradley will then allow the bid, he predicts.

RichardCoulter 25-11-2017 18:04

Ken Clarke says that David Cameron did a deal with Murdoch in order to win the 2010 election:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson...dw#.mh7XrkeE0x

deadite66 25-11-2017 18:23

Just like every other political party, the power of Murdoch is very reduced these days imo.

Mick 26-11-2017 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35926371)
Ken Clarke says that David Cameron did a deal with Murdoch in order to win the 2010 election:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson...dw#.mh7XrkeE0x

Well I’ll be damned, shall we appoint a special counsel right away LOL ? :erm:

Stuart 27-11-2017 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35926496)
Well I’ll be damned, shall we appoint a special counsel right away LOL ? :erm:

If Murdoch was president or prime minister of another country, yes. Most countries have laws against other countries interfering in their election processes. As he isn't, probably not. While this action is morally on dubious ground, it's not actually illegal for the print media to be biased, and it's not illegal for their staff, or even owner, to meet with ministers.

OLD BOY 30-11-2017 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35900476)
What exactly does Sky have a monopoly on these days ?

Sky Atlantic's exclusive rights to HBO in the UK!

denphone 30-11-2017 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35926973)
Sky Atlantic's exclusive rights to HBO in the UK!

But as you say being the great paragon of streaming there is always Now TV.;)

OLD BOY 07-12-2017 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35927004)
But as you say being the great paragon of streaming there is always Now TV.;)

Which of course is owned by Sky.

OLD BOY 23-01-2018 12:14

In what could well be the coup de grace of a long drawn-out saga, the UK Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has provisionally found that Fox taking full control of Sky is not in the public interest due to media plurality concerns.

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20180123...#axzz550NPXRZH

Maggy 23-01-2018 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35933520)
In what could well be the coup de grace of a long drawn-out saga, the UK Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has provisionally found that Fox taking full control of Sky is not in the public interest due to media plurality concerns.

Hmm! Things could change.

Quote:

The CMA has now set out a series of potential options for addressing these problems identified in its public remedies notice. It has also noted where Fox’s decision to sell assets, including its 39% stake in Sky to The Walt Disney Company leaves the proposed takeover. These will be carefully considered before the CMA’s report is finalised, and a final report will now be provided to Matt Hancock the new Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport by 1 May 2018 who will then make the final decision on the proposed deal.

denphone 23-01-2018 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35933520)

It still would not surprise me in the end that it goes through..

heero_yuy 23-01-2018 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35933545)

I suppose it depends whether Matt Hancock is prepared to take Murdoch's 30 pieces of silver. :D

Not that I'm suggesting you can bribe a Tory. :erm:

denphone 23-01-2018 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35933562)
I suppose it depends whether Matt Hancock is prepared to take Murdoch's 30 pieces of silver. :D

We call it backhanders down here.;)

---------- Post added at 15:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35933562)

Murdoch's influence is waning more now then it ever it was before.

OLD BOY 23-01-2018 17:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35933545)

It might, if he drops Sky News, which would be a shame.

EDIT: Although maybe Sky News might still be allowed to exist outside of Murdoch's control.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2018...-sky-takeover/

bubblegun 26-01-2018 02:15

Should this be re-examined in light of the proposed Disney/Fox deal or is the fact that Murdoch will take a stake in Disney still a concern for the impartiality of Sky News?

Could Sky News be moved to the remainder of Fox?
Wouldn't that be worse?

Stuart 26-01-2018 12:31

I doubt that Sky News will be moved to the remainder of Fox. They've always both been owned by Murdoch and he has never shown an interest in merging them. I don't see why Disney would be interested in doing it either. I don't see why they would be interested in changing the news output at all, not actually being a news company. Did they change ABC news substantially when they bought ABC?