Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Currently wired connection via Ethernet - switch to wireless? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705929)

bolgerp 15-01-2018 09:33

Currently wired connection via Ethernet - switch to wireless?

Hi all

My V6 box is currently connected to the SH3 via an Ethernet cable (set up by the installing engineer). I could do with freeing up a port on the router as I have just installed a NAS and Plex on my Apple TV so think it might be best to connect my ATV directly to the router (where the NAS is connected) but I haven't yet played around with it. The WiFi connection to the ATV might actually be fine. All 4 Ethernet ports are now used.

I know I can get an Ethernet switch to add more ports but that is yet another power source to try and add to my sockets and hide the cables etc. So, I'd rather avoid that.

I assume I can easily switch the connection between the SH3 and V6 to wifi? They are really close to each other so the speed and signal should be fine.

Are there any pitfalls to doing this? Should I get a switch instead, do you think? I only need ust the one additional Ethernet port, to be honest.

Thanks is advance.

ozsat 15-01-2018 09:40

Re: Currently wired connection via Ethernet - switch to wireless?

Should work with no issues at all on WiFi - try using the 5GHz network for best results.

bolgerp 15-01-2018 10:00

Cheers Ozsat.

RobboEdin 15-01-2018 10:10

Yes, I agree to use the 5GHz but also to separate out the Hub 3.0 single SSID to one each for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

The Yank 15-01-2018 12:03

I have two V6 boxes (living room and study). They were both set up WiFi by the engineer and work fine. I can even watch recordings on the other box using WiFi only without the PowerLine Adapters that VM tells you you will need. I guess it is all dependent on how good your WiFi signal is.

OLD BOY 15-01-2018 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yank (Post 35932588)
I have two V6 boxes (living room and study). They were both set up WiFi by the engineer and work fine. I can even watch recordings on the other box using WiFi only without the PowerLine Adapters that VM tells you you will need. I guess it is all dependent on how good your WiFi signal is.

Same here, it works just fine with wi-fi.

bolgerp 16-01-2018 12:21

I tried connecting to my NAS using Plex on Apple TV over the wifi last night and it works perfectly so no need to have an ethernet connection just yet to the ATV... thanks for the advice all!