Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   SD : Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black people. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705912)

nodrogd 11-01-2018 15:39

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black peopl

When the people that grew up with these series/film have passed on then perhaps they can be quietly consigned to the archives. But I see no point in trying to un-invent the past while they are still alive. The important thing is that people are being respected IN THE PRESENT. The past is what it is & cant be changed.

What happened to the days when if something offended you then you just changed the channel & moved on?

Mr K 11-01-2018 18:49

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black peopl

I think we're talking about the 'N' word here. Its not an over reaction - they shouldn't have broadcast it.

Do have some sympathy for Talking Pictures. It's a great channel run on a shoestring, but they should have picked this up. However if we're not careful we'll just end up with vomit inducing channels like True Movies just broadcasting made for tv american 'wholesome' crap.

ozsat 11-01-2018 19:13

It was not the 'N' word - it was the name of the little boy who was chased round the tree by tigers in the story many of us were told at school.

The book is still on open sale on Amazon and many other places.

Mr K 11-01-2018 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 35932055)
It was not the 'N' word - it was the name of the little boy who was chased round the tree by tigers in the story many of us were told at school.

The book is still on open sale on Amazon and many other places.

Ah the 'S' word, in that case it's a total over reaction.

ozsat 11-01-2018 19:35

And from a 1950's tv series.

---------- Post added at 19:35 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Good old Mary Whitehouse - let's follow her example.

Give Jimmy Saville and award and disown our children.
Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35931934)
Mary Whitehouse is alive and well MM.

Maggy 12-01-2018 11:27

Lots of 60s and 70s shows that were sexist,homophobic and racist appear on various cable tv shows..No one seems to be objecting to them.

spiderplant 12-01-2018 12:56

Newer shows aren't immune...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...-a8154626.html

denphone 12-01-2018 13:06

Personally l think people should be given the choice on TV of watching or not watching a programme rather then something not being shown at all as there are many other channels they can watch if they don't like it as its called freedom and choice.

heero_yuy 12-01-2018 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35932178)
Personally l think people should be given the choice on TV of watching or not watching a programme rather then something not being shown at all as there are many other channels they can watch if they don't like it as its called freedom and choice.

Maybe they should mark it in the schedules with a snowflake as a warning. :D

Stuart 12-01-2018 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35932146)
Lots of 60s and 70s shows that were sexist,homophobic and racist appear on various cable tv shows..No one seems to be objecting to them.

Yep.. The Sweeney and The Goodies spring to mind. I remember loving The Goodies as a kid, and I still like Graham Garden, Tim Brook Taylor and Bill Oddie, but some of the sketches they came up with for that did appear quite racist. I don't recall "The Sweeney" being racist, but from what I remember, the women featured tended to be in secondary roles, which would undoubtedly be considered sexist now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35931964)
Yeah, 'Love thy Neighbour' and 'Curry and Chips', classic sitcoms....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Thy_Neighbour (the sidespiltting comedy of having a black neighbour)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_and_Chips (a blacked up Spike Milligan played an Asian immigrant shop worker who went by the name of Kevin O'Grady !)

However think they mostly don't get repeated because they were crap. (however that hasn't stopped them repeating 'On the buses', which is full of sexist/racist stuff)

Till Death Do Us Part was another dodgy one, but I liked it. People seem to have missed were supposed to be laughing at Alf Garnett's views, not laughing with him.

Guess it depends whether people are genuinely offended, and only they can say that.

I don't think I've ever seen "Curry and Chips", but I remember "Love Thy Neighbour" and can see how that would be considered racist. That said, from what I remember, the white guy always lost if he went up against the black guy.

"Till Death Do Us Part" and "In Sickness and In Health". I can see how they would be considered racist, if you only glance at them. Why do I say that? Because, if you only glanced at it, you would only see one white man calling other races all sorts of names. You wouldn't see the other characters (of all colours) criticising, fighting, ignoring or trying to placate him. You also wouldn't see that the one person who loses out in all this racist man's plotting, scheming and ranting is the racist himself. Alf Garnet said some truly awful things, but the only person negatively impacted by his actions and statements was him. The author of both actually said that the idea was that Alf was the only person who comes off badly as a result of Alf's actions.

There is one important point above that haters of TDOUP and ISAIH miss. In both shows a fairly large, fairly racially diverse (for the time) of both men and women are actually shown getting along with each other. Yes, some racial stereotypes are shown, but IIRC, these are only use when they are talking to Alf, so they could be trying to wind him up (Winston certainly used his Racial stereotype, and the fact he was gay, to wind Alf up).

As said above, we were supposed to laugh at Alf's ideas and views, not with them.

Still, I think as a people, we have become far too easily offended.

ozsat 13-01-2018 07:20

Talking Pictures do have an annoucement before some programmes indicating that some people may now be offended by language used.

Thing is - the PC brigade use that to select their (if there is more than one of them) viewing.
Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35932191)
Maybe they should mark it in the schedules with a snowflake as a warning. :D

Carth 13-01-2018 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35931949)
If this >.< offends anyone, then tough luck.

:nworthy: well done, It's only 12:21 and I know I won't see anything funnier than that for the rest of the day. :D

OLD BOY 13-01-2018 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 35932343)
:nworthy: well done, It's only 12:21 and I know I won't see anything funnier than that for the rest of the day. :D

I don't get the joke but agree with the sentiments.

pengedragon 18-01-2018 12:57

This thread is incredible

What a shame we don’t live in the good old days when you could be racist without being called out on it, eh lads

Paul 18-01-2018 13:37

"lads" ? LOL.