Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Please document any V6 issues here. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704015)

OLDGOLD 26-02-2017 19:36

Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

I recorded the Watford game on BT Sport last night. When I came to watch it, it was split into two. The first recording was a partial recording of 20 minutes from the 17:00 start time. The second was a further partial recording for the rest of the scheduled transmission from about 17:25ish (the start of the 2nd recording was only about 5 minutes before kick off).

Any idea what happened? Is this down to something in the broadcast 'tricking' the box into thinking it was two separate broadcasts or is it a fault?

Joedm45 26-02-2017 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLDGOLD (Post 35887569)
I recorded the Watford game on BT Sport last night. When I came to watch it, it was split into two. The first recording was a partial recording of 20 minutes from the 17:00 start time. The second was a further partial recording for the rest of the scheduled transmission from about 17:25ish (the start of the 2nd recording was only about 5 minutes before kick off).

Any idea what happened? Is this down to something in the broadcast 'tricking' the box into thinking it was two separate broadcasts or is it a fault?

Sounds like a random reboot during the recording to me. No doubt the EPG shows it as 1 show and the only reason for 2 separate recordings like that is a reboot.

I've not timed a reboot on my V6 but 5 minutes sounds feasible

fixerman 26-02-2017 19:50

I have experienced split recordings for no apparent reason. It happened when I recorded Casablanca today.

Mad Max 26-02-2017 23:26

Well this isn't very encouraging is it!

OLD BOY 27-02-2017 07:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35887595)

These are very much exceptions, Max. Mine both work perfectly and are far superior to the old Tivos.

The guys who have reported these problems on this forum just need to report what has happened to CS. I am sure they can sort this out.

denphone 27-02-2017 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35887595)

l hope they get their problems sorted out but one must not wildly exaggerate any problems MM.:)

mike_gain 27-02-2017 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35887607)
These are very much exceptions, Max. Mine both work perfectly and are far superior to the old Tivos.

The guys who have reported these problems on this forum just need to report what has happened to CS. I am sure they can sort this out.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

They are quicker and much more responsive (i.e. they've chucked hardware at a software problem) but the V6 is demonstrably louder than any of my legacy V6s and anecdotal as it may be I've been forced to restart my V6 at least twice a month since January due to it starting up in a black screen......I've only every been forced to restart start my original 2011 box (which i still have) twice. Also some of the issues identified during the software testing are still present which is a shame.

However when they are up an running the do perform very well but at the moment I've won't be getting another V6 as the extra "functionality" is not worth the additional outlay. There's no restriction that prevents my existing box from performing it's "press play and actually play something withing a couple of seconds" function as it did in 2011 just shoddy software. It's just a pain I've had to fork out extra to get a box that has the hardware to compensate for the software.

OLD BOY 27-02-2017 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_gain (Post 35887623)
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

They are quicker and much more responsive (i.e. they've chucked hardware at a software problem) but the V6 is demonstrably louder than any of my legacy V6s and anecdotal as it may be I've been forced to restart my V6 at least twice a month since January due to it starting up in a black screen......I've only every been forced to restart start my original 2011 box (which i still have) twice. Also some of the issues identified during the software testing are still present which is a shame.

However when they are up an running the do perform very well but at the moment I've won't be getting another V6 as the extra "functionality" is not worth the additional outlay. There's no restriction that prevents my existing box from performing it's "press play and actually play something withing a couple of seconds" function as it did in 2011 just shoddy software. It's just a pain I've had to fork out extra to get a box that has the hardware to compensate for the software.

I can only say that you must have been lucky with your old Tivo. I found I had to re-boot mine every week, and more on some occasions. Once my new V6s were set up and running as they should, I have not had to re-boot either of them even once.

As with any new technology, some people will experience problems, but I think the lack of complaints on here ( and we do like to complain, don't we?) indicates that by and large, this has been a pretty successful launch. I am certainly well pleased.

As far as your black screen problem is concerned, I understand that this is a known fault which will be overcome with an update. In the meantime, adjust your power savings so that it doesn't automatically switch off after use.

I am surprised you find the V6 noisy. I don't hear a peep out of mine. Could you deaden the sound by putting your V6 on a different surface (eg foam) which will stop any vibration?

mike_gain 27-02-2017 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35887666)
I can only say that you must have been lucky with your old Tivo. I found I had to re-boot mine every week, and more on some occasions. Once my new V6s were set up and running as they should, I have not had to re-boot either of them even once.

As with any new technology, some people will experience problems, but I think the lack of complaints on here ( and we do like to complain, don't we?) indicates that by and large, this has been a pretty successful launch. I am certainly well pleased.

As far as your black screen problem is concerned, I understand that this is a known fault which will be overcome with an update. In the meantime, adjust your power savings so that it doesn't automatically switch off after use.

I am surprised you find the V6 noisy. I don't hear a peep out of mine. Could you deaden the sound by putting your V6 on a different surface (eg foam) which will stop any vibration?

Perhaps you've been lucky with your V6s.... you can't refute one anecdotal piece of evidence with another but I had 4 legacy boxes with only one that needed restarted (i.e. crashed) the other 3 just ran non-top.

The new boxes seems to be repeating similar early issues as the legacy box did (wonder when they digital out will start playing up) but aside from any issues can we really say a fully operational V6 is far superior to a fully working legacy box?

Apart from the performance issues which should't be there in the first place and perhaps its smaller form factor the V6 is pretty much the same box. The V6 is a better experience yes but simply because I'm not questioning myself as to whether I've actually pressed a button on the remote, I'd not go overboard with the hyperbole because of this, mainly because the V6 level of performance should be the baseline for the legacy box.

With regard to the black screen issue i'm pretty sure what I experience is similar to that of a know issue and I have adjusted the power saving settings and have introduced a delay in switching on the V6 to make sure all the required devices in the signal flow are on before the V6 is turned on to discount any HDMI handshake issues but still get it every so often and every so often it gets stuck in "Waking Up" if it has been turned off. I'll learn to live with it as the start up following a poweroff and on isn't too long

With regard to the noise it's not an amplification of a vibration by the unit it is on. It's the actually disk spinning that;s producing the nouse short of opening up the box and adding some noise suppression I'm kind of stuck with it. Be a pretty good tool for producing a form of pink noise for setting up an EQ though.

Perfect Choice 27-02-2017 14:02

I also hear noise from my V6 box as well which is the disk spinning. It is louder than my old Tivo box so was surprised to have this. The noise is just at a volume that if you get a quiet part in a programme you can hear it which makes it distracting once you catch the noise. If you put the TV on silent you can definitely hear it anyway. Would not want to have my V6 in a room I slept in for example. This is one negative of the new V6 box I have, apart from this have been very happy with the box and had no problems at all. I've had no crash issues and also power down overnight without any issues, so guess I am lucky on that problem I know some people have had.

OLD BOY 27-02-2017 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_gain (Post 35887669)
Perhaps you've been lucky with your V6s.... you can't refute one anecdotal piece of evidence with another but I had 4 legacy boxes with only one that needed restarted (i.e. crashed) the other 3 just ran non-top.

The new boxes seems to be repeating similar early issues as the legacy box did (wonder when they digital out will start playing up) but aside from any issues can we really say a fully operational V6 is far superior to a fully working legacy box?

Apart from the performance issues which should't be there in the first place and perhaps its smaller form factor the V6 is pretty much the same box. The V6 is a better experience yes but simply because I'm not questioning myself as to whether I've actually pressed a button on the remote, I'd not go overboard with the hyperbole because of this, mainly because the V6 level of performance should be the baseline for the legacy box.

With regard to the black screen issue i'm pretty sure what I experience is similar to that of a know issue and I have adjusted the power saving settings and have introduced a delay in switching on the V6 to make sure all the required devices in the signal flow are on before the V6 is turned on to discount any HDMI handshake issues but still get it every so often and every so often it gets stuck in "Waking Up" if it has been turned off. I'll learn to live with it as the start up following a poweroff and on isn't too long

With regard to the noise it's not an amplification of a vibration by the unit it is on. It's the actually disk spinning that;s producing the nouse short of opening up the box and adding some noise suppression I'm kind of stuck with it. Be a pretty good tool for producing a form of pink noise for setting up an EQ though.

Yes, it is far superior in my view. The fact that I can have two boxes in different rooms, connected by wifi only, and able to play recordings on the other box, is fantastic. It is lightning fast and loads all the apps extremely quickly, with no buffering. The picture is superb and with twelve tuners (6 on each), recording clashes are a thing of the past.

I think we would have seen far more complaints if the V6 was not all it's cracked up to be and riddled with bugs. However, the fact is that the number of bugs is comparatively few and no big deal really, whereas some of us were ready to throw the old Tivos out of the window.

Sorry to hear yours is noisy; if it's bad enough to be disruptive, perhaps they will change it. As I said earlier, we can't hear ours, and one of them is in the bedroom, so if it made a noise it would be noticeable in the quiet of the night.

mike_gain 27-02-2017 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35887694)
Yes, it is far superior in my view. The fact that I can have two boxes in different rooms, connected by wifi only, and able to play recordings on the other box, is fantastic. It is lightning fast and loads all the apps extremely quickly, with no buffering. The picture is superb and with twelve tuners (6 on each), recording clashes are a thing of the past.

You've pretty much described what I had in November 2012 with my legacy TiVos minus the extra tuners and the app loading speed.

I've perhaps muddied my point by highlighting what I'm not happy with.

But I'll re-iterate again; If I take a working legacy TiVo box and a working V6 and draw a comparison, ignoring any issues with either, I don't find the V6 far superior, it's a better experience but it should be the least we should expect. I see the V6 as a costly hardware solution to a software problem....but I'd still recommend it to anyone thinking of upgrading but more to get people onto an expected level of performance as opposed to take them to the next level of TV entertainment (and I'll fully acknowledge the former may be more than enough for most).

What I would concede is the performance is far superior to the legacy boxes as they are now but it's just frustrating they let the legacy boxes get so bad.

heavyside 05-03-2017 09:39

I suppose it had to happen sooner or later.

I have had my two V6 boxes for over four weeks now and they have performed without a single glitch but yesterday evening two programmes failed to record. Checking in Recording Hiccups the reason for this failure was 'Power Lost' but this is unconvincing seeing as I was able to view live TV during this supposed loss of power.

Is this a new bug or has anyone else experienced this?

daz100 05-03-2017 19:10

Series link will not record person of interest, emerald city no matter what I set it never picks up the episodes. I'm not sure why as there are no clashes.

carbon60 06-03-2017 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by daz100 (Post 35888711)
Series link will not record person of interest, emerald city no matter what I set it never picks up the episodes. I'm not sure why as there are no clashes.

My TiVo V6 is currently recording Person of Interest. What channel do you have it set to? It has moved from 5 to 5 USA for this season.

OLD BOY 06-03-2017 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbon60 (Post 35888782)
My TiVo V6 is currently recording Person of Interest. What channel do you have it set to? It has moved from 5 to 5 USA for this season.

That's probably the reason. I had to re-set my series link from Sky Living to Sky 1 when they unexpecredly changed the channel on which this programme was broadcast. It was mid-season when this happened, as well.

BenMcr 06-03-2017 12:52

Remember you can set a Series Link to All Channels, and with the additional options of targeting a specific season / series of a show in addition to the choice as to whether to only record new shows, you should be able to ensure any channel changes don't mean missing episdoes.

OLD BOY 06-03-2017 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35888812)
Remember you can set a Series Link to All Channels, and with the additional options of targeting a specific season / series of a show in addition to the choice as to whether to only record new shows, you should be able to ensure any channel changes don't mean missing episdoes.

Good plan, Ben, thank you! The only problem is that you can't do this through 'Settings'; only programme by programme, which is tedious.

Raider999 08-03-2017 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLDGOLD (Post 35887569)

This happened with my recording of Man Utd v Bournemouth (on sky sports) the other day.

I think the answer to your question is there was a preview program then the match from kick-off (this was certainly the case with MU v Bourne).

This is an annoying change to how live games are broadcast (not sure why they do it either) - this used to occur on an occasional basis a few years ago.

daz100 08-03-2017 23:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbon60 (Post 35888782)

I figured it out I had flagged HD only and so it hadn't picked it up.

Daz555 09-03-2017 12:34

Our V6 crashes and reboots perhaps once every 10 to 12 days ish.

Also, there is an episode of Neighbours (yes yes I know) on our V6 which causes the box to crash and reboot every single time at exactly the same moment in the programme.

OLD BOY 09-03-2017 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daz555 (Post 35889291)
Our V6 crashes and reboots perhaps once every 10 to 12 days ish.

Also, there is an episode of Neighbours (yes yes I know) on our V6 which causes the box to crash and reboot every single time at exactly the same moment in the programme.

It's an intelligent box, Daz. Clearly, this episode is beyond the pale and your V6 loses the reason to live artificially.

May I suggest that you stop watching that particular episode? :D;)

RichardCoulter 12-03-2017 17:43

Yesterday, the dreaded spinning purple circle made a reappearance a few times.

It wasn't as bad as the old TiVo, but worrying nevertheless.

jonbxx 13-03-2017 09:35

The only problem I get is when I switch on the box, I get no sound until I change channel. I have disabled any power saving and I connect to my amplifier through optical.

It's a minor annoyance but not a deal breaker.

knack 18-03-2017 14:53

I don't have time to read back just now to see if this has been reported but I'm recording the rugby which includes two back to back programmes on BBC One with a couple of minutes added at start and end of recording. When the second recording started the box froze. It rebooted a few minutes later (perhaps when the first recording stopped).

RichardCoulter 18-03-2017 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by knack (Post 35890615)
I don't have time to read back just now to see if this has been reported but I'm recording the rugby which includes two back to back programmes on BBC One with a couple of minutes added at start and end of recording. When the second recording started the box froze. It rebooted a few minutes later (perhaps when the first recording stopped).

Some users have reported that some recordings are causing the box to reboot; someone has posted that a fix is under way. This hasn't happened to me, but it keeps stopping the recording of some programmes a few minutes in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daz100 (Post 35889222)
I figured it out I had flagged HD only and so it hadn't picked it up.

Isn't the setting now HD 'if possible' :confused:

BenMcr 18-03-2017 17:59

If you set a Series Link to All Channels you get a HD choice of Always / If Possible / Never.

If a Series Link is set to a specific channel the option becomes set via the channel type.

RichardCoulter 18-03-2017 22:05

I'd think it best to set it to 'if possible' then as it's better to end up with an SD recording than none at all.

Perhaps it makes the wrong choice sometimes, so this is why people use 'Always'??

BenMcr 18-03-2017 22:20

All depends on your preferences and the situation.

For instance CBS Action is SD only, however shows Star Trek from time to time. SyFy show Star Trek in both SD and HD when they can. What they show could be the same version of the show but in different seasons.

So you can choose if you'd only want to record the quality of the show you'd prefer for either viewing reasons or disk space reasons, or as you say get whatever if best available for your other series link choices.

Same applies for NCIS. That's shown across both SD and HD channels at different points. So being able to specify the quality alongside the other options can help ensure you get the episodes you want.

knack 19-03-2017 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35890626)
Some users have reported that some recordings are causing the box to reboot; someone has posted that a fix is under way. This hasn't happened to me, but it keeps stopping the recording of some programmes a few minutes in.

Thank you.

RichardCoulter 22-03-2017 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by knack (Post 35890756)
Thank you.

You're welcome :)

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35889708)

I posted the above on 12/3/17. Today (22/3/17), it's significantly deteriorated.

The spinning purple circle whilst moving between screens is back with a vengeance, it won't let me extend Planned Recordings and won't allow me to search and view upcoming episodes. Once into the play screen, it does start straight away (unlike the old TiVo).

I do hope that this is a temporary thing. Has anyone else been affected?

I did wonder if the Quick View update had slowed it down, but upon checking I don't appear to have it yet.

A reboot made no difference at all and my HDD is 63% full.

RichardCoulter 23-03-2017 17:29

Did another reboot this morning and all is back to normal.

Not sure what happened, but I'm glad it's corrected itself.

It's taught me that one reboot may not be enough to clear problems, if problems persist after a reboot, try another ;)

derekh 28-03-2017 12:18

I have a NOW box as well as the V6. The now box is connected via WIFI and the V6 has an Ethernet connection from a Netgear Wi fi extender.

When I watch from the NOW box the V6 disconnects, and obviously does not record anything. When I switch the NOW box off the V6 reboots from scratch.

Has anyone else experienced this strange problem?

spiderplant 28-03-2017 13:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekh (Post 35892041)
I have a NOW box as well as the V6. The now box is connected via WIFI and the V6 has an Ethernet connection from a Netgear Wi fi extender.

When I watch from the NOW box the V6 disconnects, and obviously does not record anything. When I switch the NOW box off the V6 reboots from scratch.

Has anyone else experienced this strange problem?

That's more likely to be a problem with the TV than the Wi-Fi. To test this, try unplugging the V6's HDMI lead before you switch to the NOW TV.

What make and model TV is it?

OLDGOLD 28-03-2017 22:34

Quote:

I've started experiencing this over the last couple of days. Very worrying indeed! I see from your later posts that a couple of reboots have fixed the issue. I'll have to give that a go and see how I get on.

RichardCoulter 29-03-2017 01:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLDGOLD (Post 35892135)
I've started experiencing this over the last couple of days. Very worrying indeed! I see from your later posts that a couple of reboots have fixed the issue. I'll have to give that a go and see how I get on.

It's started doing it again this evening, not as bad as the old TiVo, but taking about 10 seconds to retrieve screens eg Planned Recordings.

My old TiVo was fine for the first three months before it started doing this, my V6 was about six months old before it started doing this a short time ago.

I don't really want to have to keep rebooting it or removing Suggestions (as were advised for the old TiVo) to keep it working properly.

OLDGOLD 29-03-2017 06:37

I haven't got any suggestions recorded as I've switched the feature off. My Shows only got a few programmes in it too, about 4% used.

greeninferno 29-03-2017 13:10

Quote:

was it losing internet connection at the time

daz100 29-03-2017 14:44

Spinning circle is back looks like the internet down but the router seems ok?
Other devices are working just not the v6

RichardCoulter 29-03-2017 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeninferno (Post 35892199)
was it losing internet connection at the time

Yes, some of the time as it wouldn't let me use VOD as an alternative to watching what I'd recorded.

Error C501 kept coming up too.

Someone asked this on the VM community​ forum a few weeks ago, but the thread appears to have been abandoned by staff:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...3039264/page/2

Not used it today to see if it's been sorted out.

greeninferno 29-03-2017 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35892234)
Yes, some of the time as it wouldn't let me use VOD as an alternative to watching what I'd recorded.

Error C501 kept coming up too.

Someone asked this on the VM community​ forum a few weeks ago, but the thread appears to have been abandoned by staff:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...3039264/page/2

Not used it today to see if it's been sorted out.

yeah i saw the same today, apparently there is a fault affecting some V6 right now and this is the behaviour i was witnessing even after rebooting

RichardCoulter 29-03-2017 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLDGOLD (Post 35892155)
I haven't got any suggestions recorded as I've switched the feature off. My Shows only got a few programmes in it too, about 4% used.

I mean deleting the actual thumbs up for programmes as opposed to the recorded suggestions. This was said to speed the old TiVo up. I never did it as Suggestions are an important feature to me and were a USP in getting a TiVo.

Gavin-D 29-03-2017 17:18

Unable to record shows via the TV guide online says my boxes are offline?

Checked manage my TiVo and the two old boxes are still showing how long till they change?

RichardCoulter 29-03-2017 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by greeninferno (Post 35892239)
yeah i saw the same today, apparently there is a fault affecting some V6 right now and this is the behaviour i was witnessing even after rebooting

Just tried it again and I can now access my recordings. It's much better than last night/this morning, but some features aren't working and there are some minor purple circling delays.

Edit: Spoke too soon. All recordings now inaccessible. The fault was supposed to be fixed by 8:05pm, but ironically it's become worse.

dodgem22 29-03-2017 21:18

There is a national fault apparently servers are down or something like that

RichardCoulter 29-03-2017 21:18

Just rung VM, now expected to be fixed by 7am tomorrow.

I have received a credit for this fault as requested, so urge anyone else affected to do the same.

Gavin-D 29-03-2017 21:46

Complete loss off on demand, apps and recording ability fix time is now 18:40 tomorrow was 15:40 this afternoon

OLD BOY 29-03-2017 23:25

Yes, the times given for completion are only estimates. Expect further amendments!

Lone Star 30-03-2017 00:01

Beginning to regret giving up my old V+ box. It may not do some of the clever things you can do with two V6s, but then again neither can the V6s today!

Gavin-D 30-03-2017 09:12

4 issues remain

TiVo customers may not be able to use their On Demand, Apps, seeing errors C501, C133 and Temp Unavailable, also affecting TV Anywhere services. Also they will not be able to record.

Our engineer is working to fix the problem.
Fix estimate
30 March 18:40

__________________________________________________ ______________

You might find that you are not able to watch All assets relating to 2017 Australian Grand Prix (319 Error) on your Virgin Media TV Catch Up, On Demand or TV Choice service at the moment.

Fix estimate
30 March 16:05

You might find that you are not able to watch broadchurch 27/Mar/2017 9pm on your Virgin Media TV Catch Up, On Demand or TV Choice service at the moment.

Fix estimate
30 March 16:00

You might find that you are not able to watch Come Dine With Me Couples: Liverpool aired 28/03 on your Virgin Media TV Catch Up, On Demand or TV Choice service at the moment.

Fix estimate
30 March 16:00

Gavin-D 30-03-2017 11:15

Apps are working again but the rest of on demand remains down

RichardCoulter 31-03-2017 18:12

There is a national fault that has affected RTE radio and Nollywood since February.

This only affects the V6 and there is no timescale to fix this.

denphone 01-04-2017 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35892420)
Apps are working again but the rest of on demand remains down

Its fine now on our boxes.

knack 03-04-2017 22:00

One of my boxes is quite buggy. Just turned it and tv on and got a no HDMI signal message. Tried different cable and different HDMI ports. No difference. Eventually the box came on with a "this channel is unavailable/off air" message. Switching channels made no difference. Then a few minutes later the picture came on on that channel (BBC Two) but others still have no picture. I can't open any recordings and the menus freeze up when I try to navigate back. Waiting til 10 when a recording finishes and I'll reboot the box. I would have done it already but am waiting on the off chance the recording has worked! Sorry for the big block of text.

Edit: just rebooted the box. The programme (Broadchurch) has recorded up to the point that I took the box out of standby mode 30 minutes ago.

tweetiepooh 04-04-2017 10:00

Our V6 turned up but because there is no SCART so had to buy a converter but that only puts out composite not RGB so can't just attach it to the 3 way input shared with DVD and normal TiVo.

At moment we can't actually use it because of cables and location but that will be sorted later so then we can see what it's all about. May then move TiVo to another room that has cables but no TV and use as a headless box since recordings are available from V6.

carbon60 04-04-2017 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by knack (Post 35893149)
Edit: just rebooted the box. The programme (Broadchurch) has recorded up to the point that I took the box out of standby mode 30 minutes ago.

The workaround at the moment is not to put the box into standby. There seems to be a few bugs with it.

Gavin-D 04-04-2017 10:44

TV and Broadband has network issues which means you may be unable to watch TV at the moment

Network issues might be affecting TV and broadband services at the moment.

We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way.

Mad Max 04-04-2017 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35893210)
TV and Broadband has network issues which means you may be unable to watch TV at the moment

Network issues might be affecting TV and broadband services at the moment.

We have identified the problem and an engineer is on their way.

Think i'll still be holding off in getting a V6, seems to be pretty problematic at the moment.

OLD BOY 04-04-2017 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35893244)
Think i'll still be holding off in getting a V6, seems to be pretty problematic at the moment.

As I understand it, this issue is affecting all boxes at the mo. My service status refers only to certain programmes that cannot be accessed on demand. Everything else seems fine - the main problem was fixed a few days ago.

denphone 04-04-2017 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35893255)
As I understand it, this issue is affecting all boxes at the mo. My service status refers only to certain programmes that cannot be accessed on demand. Everything else seems fine - the main problem was fixed a few days ago.

No problems on ours now.

RichardCoulter 04-04-2017 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by knack (Post 35893149)
One of my boxes is quite buggy. Just turned it and tv on and got a no HDMI signal message. Tried different cable and different HDMI ports. No difference. Eventually the box came on with a "this channel is unavailable/off air" message. Switching channels made no difference. Then a few minutes later the picture came on on that channel (BBC Two) but others still have no picture. I can't open any recordings and the menus freeze up when I try to navigate back. Waiting til 10 when a recording finishes and I'll reboot the box. I would have done it already but am waiting on the off chance the recording has worked! Sorry for the big block of text.

This has happened to me also (with other programmes).

I mentioned this when I rang up about RTE and he sent something down the cable. That afternoon it affected most recordings, but afterwards it has been ok- touch wood.

Might be worth calling them to do whatever he did with my box.

trevrpb 04-04-2017 23:13

Have had V6 since first became available and been very happy with it. But recent couple of weeks, there does seem to be a couple of issues. Main one is seemingly with CH4 (HD). Picture goes black for a very short time, but relatively often and sound goes as well, again briefly but quite annoyingly. I will have to set up some other CH4 HD recordings on our original TiVos and see if they have the issue, which if not, would definitely suggest a V6 problem

TrevP

OLD BOY 05-04-2017 07:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevrpb (Post 35893338)
Have had V6 since first became available and been very happy with it. But recent couple of weeks, there does seem to be a couple of issues. Main one is seemingly with CH4 (HD). Picture goes black for a very short time, but relatively often and sound goes as well, again briefly but quite annoyingly. I will have to set up some other CH4 HD recordings on our original TiVos and see if they have the issue, which if not, would definitely suggest a V6 problem

TrevP

It could just need a reboot. Try that before taking any further measures and see if it works.

knack 05-04-2017 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbon60 (Post 35893209)
The workaround at the moment is not to put the box into standby. There seems to be a few bugs with it.

Thanks. I have turned off power saving mode and will try and get the rest of the family to not put it in standby as they normally do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35893315)
This has happened to me also (with other programmes).

I mentioned this when I rang up about RTE and he sent something down the cable. That afternoon it affected most recordings, but afterwards it has been ok- touch wood.

Might be worth calling them to do whatever he did with my box.

Interesting, thanks. I'll give them a call if it happens again but all been ok since reboot.

spiderplant 06-04-2017 07:28

Quote:

That's likely to be a signal fault and would need a tech to fix it. Checking the other boxes isn't that good a test as they are on different cables.

RichardCoulter 06-04-2017 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by knack (Post 35893444)
Thanks. I have turned off power saving mode and will try and get the rest of the family to not put it in standby as they normally do.

Interesting, thanks. I'll give them a call if it happens again but all been ok since reboot.

I spoke too soon, last night's Coronation Street only recorded the first two minutes or so again.

I have to call them back anyway to see why I haven't received any of the promised call backs since calling them nine days ago. If no joy I'm going to refer it to their regulator. I pay them too much money to be treated like this. I was speaking to someone last night who steals his VM channels and he receives a better service than me!!!

RichardCoulter 18-04-2017 23:18

There's now a problem with unwanted Audio Description on some recordings. Sometimes you can switch it off, sometimes you can't.

RichardCoulter 24-04-2017 20:45

The above problem has now been resolved, only to be replaced by more anomalies:

- Quick View for radio programmes has stopped working (it starts off OK and then jumps to the end),.

- Some recordings won't allow you to delete them. I'm not sure if this still takes up disc space, but a reboot seems to clear it.

- A recording had recorded last night, but did not appear in the recordings list. I thought that it had failed, so went to search for a repeat showing and it gave me the option of watching it now from my recordings!? I watched it and deleted it without it ever appearing as a recording that I had! Never known this to happen before, hopefully the reboot that I did because of the white noise issue that appeared again this afternoon will have cleared this.

AdamDigital 29-04-2017 17:07

Quote:

TrevP

TrevP, I've had exactly the same problems for a couple of weeks, again only on 4HD, only on V6. As you're in Peterborough it seems not to be a localised problem (I am in Nottingham). Glad it's not just me. I have tried a reboot. Have you contacted VM?

dazed&confused 29-04-2017 17:26

Hi Guys
One of my TIVO boxes died again today (3 this year) So I decided to take the plunge and order a V6 as a replacement. CS wanted to charge £155 for an engineer to install !! About to go to the dark side, when they offered me a good deal to stay. Now getting two V6 to replace both TIVO's Question is what should I do to change the factory defaults. Reading this thread it seems like don't put in standby, and ignore power settings. Is this still the case, and are there any other tweaks.
Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks

BenMcr 29-04-2017 17:39

The power settings issue has now been resolved as part of the recent firmware update, as have the HDMI issues with some TVs.

dazed&confused 29-04-2017 17:46

Thanks Ben

dazed&confused 01-05-2017 12:34

Is there still an issue on standby??

BenMcr 01-05-2017 18:24

No

Gavin-D 05-05-2017 11:47

Anyone else having issues with the sound dropping out?

Tuesday night it kept dropping out on BBC 1 during the 10pm news to the point I had to switch to freeview

Last night it kept dropping out on BT Sport during the 1st half of the Man u game

And now it's dropping out on GOLD

denphone 05-05-2017 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35897633)
Anyone else having issues with the sound dropping out?

Tuesday night it kept dropping out on BBC 1 during the 10pm news to the point I had to switch to freeview

Last night it kept dropping out on BT Sport during the 1st half of the Man u game

And now it's dropping out on GOLD

l thought l was imaging it but a couple of days ago there was certainly several sound drops out on one of the sports channels we were watching.

Joedm45 05-05-2017 13:16

Not sure if this is a bug or a 'feature'

In the My Shows section, the progress bar on a partially watched recording only seems to appear if the recording is in a folder. If it is a one off recording or the only one of a series you haven't watched yet then there is no progress bar.

trueblood 05-05-2017 14:46

I had a V6 installed last week,kept old tivo box. I transferred thumbs ratings and series links from old box to V6 which went ok, but V6 has not picked any suggestions at all. Has anybody else had this problem?.

OLD BOY 05-05-2017 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by trueblood (Post 35897670)
I had a V6 installed last week,kept old tivo box. I transferred thumbs ratings and series links from old box to V6 which went ok, but V6 has not picked any suggestions at all. Has anybody else had this problem?.

Are your suggestions switched on? You can check under 'settings'.

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35897635)
l thought l was imaging it but a couple of days ago there was certainly several sound drops out on one of the sports channels we were watching.

My first reaction to that would be to re-boot, but as an old hand, I expect you have already tried that, Den!

trueblood 05-05-2017 16:54

Yes suggestions are switched on.

Gavin-D 08-05-2017 16:00

Sound dropping out again on GOLD

denphone 08-05-2017 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35897685)

My first reaction to that would be to re-boot, but as an old hand, I expect you have already tried that, Den!

Yes l have already tried that and luckily since there have been no drop outs.:)

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35897685)

Remember with greying hairs and diminishing brain cells there is still a brain working occasionally.;)

dazed&confused 13-05-2017 10:46

HELP
Just had two Tivo6 installed along with the infamous Superb 3.
I have ethernet connected vie TP-Link 1200 power lines.
I can't connect to the ethernet on any devices through my power lines.
The strange thing is the V6 in the bedroom connects to ethernet !
I've tried pairing the links again to the hub and each other - nothing works.
Any help would be much appreciated Many thanks

dazed&confused 15-05-2017 09:57

After a most frustrating weekend of recabling, installing and generally tearing my hair out I finally got everything connected Now this morning a new problem. The Tivo box in the lounge can see and access the box in the bedroom, but not the other way round! There is no item in my shows to see other Tivos How can I search and find the connection ? Not sure if anybody reads this thread any more as no replies from Fridays post.........

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 ----------

Update
After turning off and on both tivos several times, both now show watch other boxes. Only problem is now neither can read the other, showing box is not connected....
Done a network rest on each, showing both connected by ethernet with a valid IP address.
Looks like the only solution now is to tell VM to collect this heap of rubbish and do what I first wanted and go to see Mr. Murdoch !!

OLD BOY 15-05-2017 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazed&confused (Post 35898878)
After a most frustrating weekend of recabling, installing and generally tearing my hair out I finally got everything connected Now this morning a new problem. The Tivo box in the lounge can see and access the box in the bedroom, but not the other way round! There is no item in my shows to see other Tivos How can I search and find the connection ? Not sure if anybody reads this thread any more as no replies from Fridays post.........

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 ----------

Update
After turning off and on both tivos several times, both now show watch other boxes. Only problem is now neither can read the other, showing box is not connected....
Done a network rest on each, showing both connected by ethernet with a valid IP address.
Looks like the only solution now is to tell VM to collect this heap of rubbish and do what I first wanted and go to see Mr. Murdoch !!

I'm afraid I can't help, except to say that I don't think the problem is with the V6s. It's more likely to be something to do with the cabling or connections. It's probably something very minor that is causing this problem. As you have set this up yourself, I'm not sure whether VM will come out to assist, or whether you will need to pay for some help, but it would be worth it, IMO.

spiderplant 15-05-2017 12:23

I agree with OLD BOY (and it's not often that happens!). You have some problem with your LAN and/or Powerlines.

To be honest, I didn't reply to your Friday post because I couldn't work out what you had connected where. But you suggested the V6 was the one thing working, which kind of ruled out a V6 problem. A drawing may make it clearer.

dazed&confused 20-05-2017 08:02

Thanks for the replies guys.

As both Tivos and the superhub were installed by Virgin, I would think they would come out OB, but I'm not holding my breath!

Having the lounge connected by ethernet cable today.
Hope that helps.....The Tivo In the bedroom will still be on powerline so
whether they'll play nicely together is anyone's guess.

braysoj1 23-05-2017 20:43

Bbc iPlayer screen goes black and have to restart box to fix the problem

dazed&confused 25-05-2017 07:36

Curiouser and Curiouser said Alice. Ethernet successfully installed. All devices running OK Tried to connect the two boxes No joy. Then tried running a 25m cable direct from the superhub to the second box. Now both boxes connected to the same hub no powerline. No joy.
Disconnected the ethernet cable put back the original cable connected to the powerline and guess what.....................Yes playing nicely No idea why.

Raider999 25-05-2017 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazed&confused (Post 35900327)
Curiouser and Curiouser said Alice. Ethernet successfully installed. All devices running OK Tried to connect the two boxes No joy. Then tried running a 25m cable direct from the superhub to the second box. Now both boxes connected to the same hub no powerline. No joy.
Disconnected the ethernet cable put back the original cable connected to the powerline and guess what.....................Yes playing nicely No idea why.

Dodgy/Loose connection - resolved by disconnecting and re-connecting?

RichardCoulter 19-08-2017 15:46

I keep finding that my remote isn't carrying out commands as expected, in the way that they can misbehave when the batteries are running low.

Changing the batteries hasn't helped however :confused:

Also, someone else wants to know if they would still be able to play their recordings indefinitely once their internet connection is lost.

I believe that SP once said that they would play for a short time before becoming unavailable in these circumstances, but could be getting confused with something else.

Obviously, VOD stops working immediately.

OLD BOY 19-08-2017 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35913289)
I keep finding that my remote isn't carrying out commands as expected, in the way that they can misbehave when the batteries are running low.

Also, someone else wants to know if they would still be able to play their recordings indefinitely once their internet connection is lost.

I believe that SP once said that they would play for a short time before becoming unavailable in these circumstances, but could be getting confused with something else.

Obviously, VOD stops working immediately.

It's worth reporting, Richard. It may well be your remote.

Impith 20-08-2017 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35913289)

I had exactly this issue - I made a quick call to customer services, and about three days later I had a nice new working remote. No quibbles, no hassle.

RichardCoulter 20-08-2017 12:17

Thank you- I'll give them a call :)

Gavin-D 20-09-2017 09:18

Had Soccer special on SSN last night when I went to change channels nothing happened changed the batteries in the remote I even used the one from the 2nd V6 again nothing

I had to do a full switch off and back on again to get it working no idea what the issue was

arcimedes 08-11-2017 10:39

I decided to see if my V6 works over wifi and found a strange problem. It connects happily over 2.4G but wont connect over 5G. The only odd thing I can find is that the SSID has a "minus" in it. All the other devices that use wifi have no problem with the minus in the SSID.

ozsat 08-11-2017 10:53

I have a '-' in both my 2.4 and 5GHz networks - they each have their own name as I added a '5' to the end of one.

Not had any issues connecting to 5GHz only.
Quote:

Originally Posted by arcimedes (Post 35923787)
I decided to see if my V6 works over wifi and found a strange problem. It connects happily over 2.4G but wont connect over 5G. The only odd thing I can find is that the SSID has a "minus" in it. All the other devices that use wifi have no problem with the minus in the SSID.

arcimedes 08-11-2017 13:14

I changed the SSID name and it connected once and after that refuses to but will connect to the 2.5G OK. Perhaps it want to be rebooted when you change things? Anyway its now back on the Ethernet.

Mad Max 08-11-2017 16:29

I'm the same 2.4GHz works fine, but 5GHz is pants, maybe because the 2.4 signal goes further, not really sure though..

OLD BOY 08-11-2017 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35923869)
I'm the same 2.4GHz works fine, but 5GHz is pants, maybe because the 2.4 signal goes further, not really sure though..

And yet for me, it's the reverse, and only the 5Ghz works properly with my V6s.

As Spider says, it seems to vary according to the local environment.