Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sony Games Systems (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The PS4 Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33692144)

andrewstevenson 22-02-2013 08:35

The PS4 Thread

Well the ps4 did look good but after some revelations it's thanks but no thanks

1. Ps3 saves can't be transferred to ps4

2. Ps3 downloaded games from psn won't work on a ps4

3. No idea how it works wether we need to buy ps3 games online or stream.

4. How much it will cost.

5. Rumoured ps plus increase for ps4.

6. No pic or hard drive size info

That don't sound tempting to me

pabscars 22-02-2013 09:06

Re: Ps4 no thanks

Ive put maybe, Its always nice to see gaming going to the next level, but if PS3 saves can't be transfered to a PS4 then it wont get out of the starting blocks for me.

The multiplayer fps games on the PS3 have never been as well supported by the devs as much as the xbox 360 imo, so I might give this one a miss, but I will still be tempted. The one thing I do love about the PS3 is the control pad, it's excellent and hardy enough to last years of abuse, so I hope the new pad hasnt tried to copy the xbox 360's style too much because the thumb sticks become worn and sloppy within 2 or 3 days of using a new one.

tizmeinnit 22-02-2013 09:31

when its £150 and they change the used games policy a year down the line when they realise its not selling then maybe lol

andrewstevenson 22-02-2013 09:52

Well I have 85 games purchased from psn so why get a ps4 when you can't play purchased games

BenMcr 22-02-2013 10:34

Don't see the backwards compatibility thing being too much of an issue. The PS3 dropped it quite quickly but that didn't stop people buying it.

Anyway, I've already got a PS3 to play my PS3 games on ;)

andrewstevenson 22-02-2013 10:46

I agree but all psn downloaded content on ps3 not being available on ps4, so then only games on a new console are fully priced and expensive

adzii_nufc 22-02-2013 11:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewstevenson (Post 35540030)
Well the ps4 did look good but after some revelations it's thanks but no thanks

1. Ps3 saves can't be transferred to ps4

2. Ps3 downloaded games from psn won't work on a ps4

3. No idea how it works wether we need to buy ps3 games online or stream.

4. How much it will cost.

5. Rumoured ps plus increase for ps4.

6. No pic or hard drive size info

That don't sound tempting to me

1) I can't recall that being such a big deal when transitioning from the PS2 to the PS3, I can't recall outcries for Memory Card slots on the PS3.

2) The idea of Next Generation is you play Next Generation games. If you wish to play PS3 games then you have a PS3. Backwards compatibility is a bonus not a must have.

3) See points 1 & 2

4) I'd find it funny if anyone expected a brand new console to be cheap. £250 barebones minimum.

5) You say it like it's a bad thing? Microsoft have been charging since day one with regards to their online platform and look how widely successful it is. Paying a subscription for premium features gives Sony/Microsoft developers the chance to add unique features to each system and expand their on board content further, such as Netflix, Sky and so on.

6) I'd put it at three versions, 500gb, 1tb and 2tb editions.

Most of you are being way too quick in jumping the gun with criticism and seemed to have forgotten this was simply an announcement and a quick peek, we are yet to reach the biggest gaming expo of the year and anyone who assumed Sony would simply flaunt everything now was simply mislead. Sony will reveal everything at E3 2013 and every question answered fully then.

To answer the Poll, I'd say never because I'm sold by Microsoft every time but I'm open to both consoles for individual features, that meaning I'm hoping they actually have some sort of differences this time round and not some Blu Ray player I could care less about.

tizmeinnit 22-02-2013 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35540072)
1) I can't recall that being such a big deal when transitioning from the PS2 to the PS3, I can't recall outcries for Memory Card slots on the PS3.

2) The idea of Next Generation is you play Next Generation games. If you wish to play PS3 games then you have a PS3. Backwards compatibility is a bonus not a must have.

3) See points 1 & 2

4) I'd find it funny if anyone expected a brand new console to be cheap. £250 barebones minimum.

5) You say it like it's a bad thing? Microsoft have been charging since day one with regards to their online platform and look how widely successful it is. Paying a subscription for premium features gives Sony/Microsoft developers the chance to add unique features to each system and expand their on board content further, such as Netflix, Sky and so on.

6) I'd put it at three versions, 500gb, 1tb and 2tb editions.

Most of you are being way too quick in jumping the gun with criticism and seemed to have forgotten this was simply an announcement and a quick peek, we are yet to reach the biggest gaming expo of the year and anyone who assumed Sony would simply flaunt everything now was simply mislead. Sony will reveal everything at E3 2013 and every question answered fully then.

To answer the Poll, I'd say never because I'm sold by Microsoft every time but I'm open to both consoles for individual features, that meaning I'm hoping they actually have some sort of differences this time round and not some Blu Ray player I could care less about.

Point 1 what? who said anything about memory card slots?

Point 2 Some models of PS3 do play PS2 games Sony removed the option on none jailbroken consoles cuz they are fools I do agree though the option would be a bonus

Point 3 seeing as your point 1 makes no sense I have no reply

Point 4 I agree

Point 5 MS may well have been doing it a long time. A success?? not so sure full of cheats I have been told and unruly loud mouthed gob*****s

Point 6 well a 2TB 2.5 inch hard drive alone is nearly £150 so I personally doubt there will be a 2TB version if there was it will be ridiculously expensive

The biggest downfall on both the new consoles is the tied up games you buy you can not sell the main market for console games surely is the play them sell them idiom that has existed previously.

andrewstevenson 22-02-2013 11:49

I think a bigger concern is no psn games purchased will work on psn even need for speed and FIFA 13

adzii_nufc 22-02-2013 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35540085)
Point 1 what? who said anything about memory card slots?

Point 2 Some models of PS3 do play PS2 games Sony removed the option on none jailbroken consoles cuz they are fools I do agree though the option would be a bonus

Point 3 seeing as your point 1 makes no sense I have no reply

Point 4 I agree

Point 5 MS may well have been doing it a long time. A success?? not so sure full of cheats I have been told and unruly loud mouthed gob*****s

Point 6 well a 2TB 2.5 inch hard drive alone is nearly £150 so I personally doubt there will be a 2TB version if there was it will be ridiculously expensive

The biggest downfall on both the new consoles is the tied up games you buy you can not sell the main market for console games surely is the play them sell them idiom that has existed previously.

My first was just a bit of humor heh, I was referring to the PS3 launch in which you couldn't transfer saves to the PS3 from the PS2, something you'll also not be able to do PS3>PS4.

As for the online bit, There are indeed cheaters and big mouth's across all online services but it's rare to come across said cheaters on the xbox live service unless you're actively looking for them. Cheating on consoles is still a long way off the PC luckily, it isn't plagued with wallhacking aimbotters.
Funnily enough, the USB functions on the Xbox are the highest cause of 'cheaters' but also another reason people pay for the service... Yeah people pay a sub so they can cheat online, Hilarious I know.

tizmeinnit 22-02-2013 12:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewstevenson (Post 35540088)
I think a bigger concern is no psn games purchased will work on psn even need for speed and FIFA 13

I disagree I think the lack of transfer rights outweighs this 10x you can still play your games on a PS3 but if you buy a game finish it and do not really like it you are stuck with it

adzii_nufc 22-02-2013 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35540104)
I disagree I think the lack of transfer rights outweighs this 10x you can still play your games on a PS3 but if you buy a game finish it and do not really like it you are stuck with it

Indeed, surely these developers have though about renting games from the PSN store, should work fine. Similar to OnLive.

BenMcr 22-02-2013 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35540085)
Sony removed the option on none jailbroken consoles cuz they are fools I do agree though the option would be a bonus

They physically removed hardware needed to run PS2 games in order to make the PS3 cheaper http://www.semperthree.com/backwards-compatibility.html

peanut 22-02-2013 12:22

With the rumour that the M$ xbox720 will restrict the play of used/2ndhand games then I'm tempted to ditch m$ and go with Sony the next time around.

tizmeinnit 22-02-2013 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35540110)
They physically removed hardware needed to run PS2 games in order to make it cheaper http://www.semperthree.com/backwards-compatibility.html

that is really strange because a little search around the hack scene tells a different story

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 35540111)
With the rumour that the M$ xbox720 will restrict the play of used/2ndhand games then I'm tempted to ditch m$ and go with Sony the next time around.

Sony are doing the same that is the point I have been making

BenMcr 22-02-2013 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35540114)
Sony are doing the same that is the point I have been making

No they aren't. You'll be able to buy second hand PS4 games http://www.t3.com/news/ps4-will-not-...ond-hand-games

tizmeinnit 22-02-2013 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35540119)
No they aren't. You'll be able to buy second hand PS4 games http://www.t3.com/news/ps4-will-not-...ond-hand-games

big climb down I did not see that yesterday

Stephen 22-02-2013 12:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 35540111)

This is nonsense, it was also a rumour for the PS4 and its been said that it will still pay used games.

Parsonally I think people are getting too carried away saying features are missing and the machine wasn't shown.

It was purely a console announcement not a launch as such. As its not due out Till Holiday 2013, ie end of the year many parts of the system hardware and software features have still to be finalised.

I bet that by E3 in May/June the console will be shown off along with full details of the sytem and its features.

After the few games shown and the power of the PS4 I am definitly going to be getting one when it gets released in the UK. Which I think maybe be Spring 2014 if the USA and Japan get it at the end of this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewstevenson (Post 35540044)
Well I have 85 games purchased from psn so why get a ps4 when you can't play purchased games

I will happily keep my PS3 if I want to play my PS3 games both physical and PSN downloads. Not being able to play them on a new system isn't that big a deal at all.

Also its entirly possible that after a while PS3/PS2 and PS1 games may be come available on PSN after a while. Sony did after all start to relelase old generation games on the PS3 PSN.

Its way too early to slate a system when its literally only been announced. Even the controller isn't the 'Final' design as it has been menetioned there will probably be a few tweaks before launch.

tizmeinnit 22-02-2013 12:44

I just hope one of the consoles is easily hacked lol

roger skillin 22-02-2013 13:27

People moaning about having loads of games on PSN , when i got my PS3 the day it came out, i brought it because the games were amazing. I also had a PS2 with loads of games which never ever got used after the purchase.
Do you really think you'll want to play a PS3 game once you start playing the new, better looking games on the PS4?
I'm guessing for me, the only game i'll still play will be GT5, that is until a GT6 comes out.

Hom3r 22-02-2013 19:20

I had a PS2 and was looking at a PS3 but as far I was able to determine the UK had no backward compatibility were as the rest of the world did.

So as I would need a new console I went for the 360, and what I have been told the online service is far better than the PS

adzii_nufc 22-02-2013 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35540372)
I had a PS2 and was looking at a PS3 but as far I was able to determine the UK had no backward compatibility were as the rest of the world did.

So as I would need a new console I went for the 360, and what I have been told the online service is far better than the PS

Not sure if it's correct but the PS3 was launched in the UK with various options, I only remember a 40gb and a 60gb option, the latter had backwards compatibility

BenMcr 22-02-2013 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35540467)
Not sure if it's correct but the PS3 was launched in the UK with various options, I only remember a 40gb and a 60gb option, the latter had backwards compatibility

Yup - a friend on mine got the launch version that was PS2 compatible

I got one later on that wasn't, but was a lot cheaper

tizmeinnit 22-02-2013 22:21

they can all run an emulator that runs 99% ps2 games flawlessly on the PS3 if they have a CFW on it

Bogof 23-02-2013 00:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewstevenson (Post 35540044)

You do realise your PS3 games will still work on your PS3 don't you? Even if you buy the next gen Xbox you still won't be able to play your PS3 games on it.

---------- Post added at 00:10 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35540121)
big climb down I did not see that yesterday

Where's the climb down? Sony never said anything about it.

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by tizmeinnit (Post 35540126)
I just hope one of the consoles is easily hacked lol

Why ? Do you steal your games, are you worried you'll now have to steal them from the shop instead of stealing them from the Internet?

alexcopeland 23-02-2013 04:03

Sony will have a service that will allow streaming of past generations playstation games. They have bought out a company to do so and the PS4 has a dedicated ARM chip to make it all possible.

I voted defo. Love my PS3 and will gladly trade it in for the new one.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/2/15...es-reports-wsj

tizmeinnit 23-02-2013 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogof (Post 35540525)
You do realise your PS3 games will still work on your PS3 don't you? Even if you buy the next gen Xbox you still won't be able to play your PS3 games on it.

---------- Post added at 00:10 ---------- Previous post was at 00:08 ----------

Where's the climb down? Sony never said anything about it.

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

Why ? Do you steal your games, are you worried you'll now have to steal them from the shop instead of stealing them from the Internet?

Sony may not have said anything but they did patent the technology to do it. That is what sent the rumours flying http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-03-sony-patents-tech-to-block-use-of-second-hand-games

Heard of homebrew boy yo as I have said in this thread the PS3 once jailbroken can play ps2 games and do a lot of other things that has nothing to do with piracy. Whether I have a peg leg and a parrot has nothing to do with you and for you to have a pop in my direction I surely hope every aspect of your life is clean ,no speedings ,no pot smoking or any other drug, no smoking while driving or using a mobile phone no downloaded illegal mp3 , no mp3s off your mates , You pay for every single film you have ever watched or not needed to. Only you know for sure you are clean so I hope you are and not a hipocrite

v0id 23-02-2013 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogof (Post 35540525)

....maybe they want to be able to play 'back-ups' of their bought games in case the original gets damaged. Quite the possibilty when you have kids ;)

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35540472)
Yup - a friend on mine got the launch version that was PS2 compatible.. They also only stopped producing the PS2 in December

I got one later on that wasn't, but was a lot cheaper

IIRC even the older PS3s were patched to prevent backward compatibilty

tizmeinnit 23-02-2013 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35540780)
....maybe they want to be able to play 'back-ups' of their bought games in case the original gets damaged. Quite the possibilty when you have kids ;)

---------- Post added at 17:53 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

IIRC even the older PS3s were patched to prevent backward compatibilty

they took it out with firmware I believe same as the option to install a new OS

Tezcatlipoca 23-02-2013 19:01

Only "Other OS" was taken out via a firmware update.

PS2 backwards compatibility was removed via taking out the last remaining PS2 chip inside the PS3 during another hardware revision. It wasn't removed from PS3s that already had it.

The first generation of PS3s, as launched in Japan and North America, contained both the actual PS2 CPU ("Emotion Engine") and GPU ("Graphics Synthesizer" [sic]). This enabled full PS2 backwards compatibility via hardware.

The second generation, as launched in Europe, contained only the PS2 GPU. PS2 backwards compatibility was achieved via that plus software emulation of the CPU.

The third generation onwards, beginning with the "40GB Fat", contained no PS2 hardware at all, and featured no PS2 backwards compatibility at all.

First and second generation PS3s can still play PS2 games, regardless of firmware updates.

-----------

As for the PS4... I'll wait.

I don't have the space, connections, or plug sockets for another console, so could not have a PS4 and keep my PS3... and I don't want to get rid of my PS3 unless I can still play the Uncharted games and a few others.

Once the price goes down, and once the PS3 game streaming eventually comes about, then I'll consider getting one.

Ryan92 03-03-2013 14:33

Still undecided atm... it will be a really bummer if the whole PSN games can't be transferred does infact happen :(

Jameseh 24-05-2013 10:16

Bumpity bump, bumpity bump. Well with the Kinect thing I'm definitely moving to PlayStation, might as well get a PS3 now to catch up on inFamous & Uncharted.

Tezcatlipoca 25-05-2013 01:30

The Uncharted games are *must haves*. Truly brilliant.

coulsontom 31-05-2013 21:20

I put maybe because it's not a definite no.

At Christmas I sold my Launch PS3 60GB, bought the basic 12GB Super Slim and a 320GB HD and broke even. Great deal as launch model fan was getting on a bit.

I would perhaps buy PS4 in 5 years in a similar way to above. But prob stopped using them in few years.

SnoopZ 31-05-2013 21:27

I am unsure i need to see just how underpowered the Xbox One is compared to the PS4 in games, so it is a wait and see for me!

Jameseh 11-06-2013 02:44

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2013/06/1.jpeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

roger skillin 11-06-2013 04:48

So, console looks good, £70 cheaper than Xbox, you CAN play second hand games the same as you've always been able to and you don't have to connect it to the net every 24 hours. Sorry Microsoft but you've dug yourself quite a hole.

Damien 11-06-2013 08:35

The moment Sony won: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SJ-To7WJyWs

Stephen 11-06-2013 09:08

Think it looks really ugly. Also you can still play used games on the One, DRM doesn't stop you from doing so. Kinect is included to that's what makes the One £70 dearer.

I'll end up with both to be honest but I prefer the One and everything about it. More exciting exclusives too.

Damien 11-06-2013 09:21

It is ugly but there are restrictions on used games, certain retailers only, needs to check in online, publishers need to enable it and might charge a fee. Then we have to pay £70 more for the privilege. It's not as if the One is more powerful.

tizmeinnit 11-06-2013 09:41

The Xbox one will now drop in price to the £299 it should have been at the start and change any restrictions to match specially online plenty of time to make these changes

SnoopZ 11-06-2013 09:47

Can we also rename this thread to 'The PS4 Thread' please?

---------- Post added at 09:47 ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 ----------

Not had time to read up on everything yet but is online play no longer free?

adzii_nufc 11-06-2013 09:51

Re: The PS4 Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=kWSIFh8ICaA

SnoopZ 11-06-2013 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35582569)

haha :D

denphone 11-06-2013 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by roger skillin (Post 35582527)
So, console looks good, £70 cheaper than Xbox, you CAN play second hand games the same as you've always been able to and you don't have to connect it to the net every 24 hours. Sorry Microsoft but you've dug yourself quite a hole.

Yes Sony have certainly played a right royal flush with this one and one wonders how Microsoft will react to this.

nstokes 11-06-2013 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35582566)
Not had time to read up on everything yet but is online play no longer free?

from my understanding its no longer free to play online unless your a PSN Plus member

SnoopZ 11-06-2013 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstokes (Post 35582577)
from my understanding its no longer free to play online unless your a PSN Plus member

That was 1 of the reasons i may have possibly jumped ship, still have alot to read up on with both consoles though and likely won't buy on release.

adzii_nufc 11-06-2013 10:08

Can't see a fee to play online being much of a problem if it's a reasonable price, Microsoft charge around £30 a year if you buy an entire 12 months. I'd expect both online fee's to rise though :confused:

nstokes 11-06-2013 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35582578)
That was 1 of the reasons i may have possibly jumped ship, still have alot to read up on with both consoles though and likely won't buy on release.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adzii_nufc (Post 35582579)
Can't see a fee to play online being much of a problem if it's a reasonable price, Microsoft charge around £30 a year if you buy an entire 12 months. I'd expect both online fee's to rise though :confused:

From what ive read its about $5 month on PSN

SnoopZ 11-06-2013 10:20

Do PS currently charge £40?

---------- Post added at 10:20 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

I didn't get to see the reveal last night, do we know if the games they demoed look similar quality wise to the Xbox One? Or did 1 console blew the other out of the water with their visuals?

nstokes 11-06-2013 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35582581)
Do PS currently charge £40?

I didn't get to see the reveal last night, do we know if the games they demoed look similar quality wise to the Xbox One? Or did 1 console blew the other out of the water with their visuals?

I think they charge about £30-35 a year for PSN Plus at moment. I didnt see the PS4 reveal so cant comment on the ggames and graphics fot that

SnoopZ 11-06-2013 10:33

I guess most UK folk didn't see it, and it will be a day or so before everything filters through. :)

I still have no idea which i will buy, but i like the fact the PS4 isn't full of DRM and you don't need the Eye plugged in 24/7 and you don't need to connect to the internet.

Damien 11-06-2013 10:38

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...ut-of-e3-2013/

Quote:

As crude as it is to declare a company the "winner" of E3, it's hard to see Sony's presentation today as anything but a PR coup for a company whose image in gaming has never recovered from the wake of E3 2006 and its giant enemy crabs. Among some of the most influential and hardest-to-please gamers on the Internet, Sony is now the savior company that can do no wrong. They should enjoy the ride, which will last just as long as it takes for them to do something wrong.

SnoopZ 11-06-2013 10:44

Was there anything on what media formats it supports or was it just about games?

Uncle Peter 11-06-2013 11:53

- 8GB DDR5.. that is a ton load of the stuff for the price you're paying for the console

- No always-online requirement

- Self publishing of titles for indie developers

- No mandatory camera

- Gaikai

- Remote play

- No arm waving

Sound good to me.

SnoopZ 11-06-2013 11:55

Yes i think it will please alot of people. :)

v0id 11-06-2013 14:54

No game trading limits is a bold statement for sony to make, unless there are no EA games on the PS4

gooner4life 11-06-2013 15:53

what has EA games got to do with game trading?

EA have already dropped Online Passes, and they said the model is the same as PS3, no DRM.

andrewstevenson 11-06-2013 17:25

Ps4 questions
I have some questions about ps4 can you help

1. What size hard drives are available

2. Will any ps4 be able to play any Playstation network content as rumoured it wouldn't

3 the game streaming service is coming to us in 2014 but no mention of uk

4. Is the previously saved content not transferable

5. If I buy fifa 14 from online or instore do I need to buy it again for ps4

cimt 11-06-2013 17:29

1: 500GB with maybe a 750 or 1TB Slim version released a few years later.

2. Maybe with Gaikai.

3. It'll be released here eventually

4. Probably not but I think they've said you can continue your games from PS4 to Vita and vice-versa.

5. You'll need to buy it for PS4.

adzii_nufc 11-06-2013 17:37

also note FIFA 14 for current gen and FIFA 14 next gen are likely two different games. Happened with FIFA 07

andrewstevenson 11-06-2013 17:52

I know but ps2 and ps3 was massive and totally format with a store, but fifa 14 if you get digital should work for both. I have 1100 items on ps store I can't use on ps4 till Sony can be bothered to sort it

nstokes 11-06-2013 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewstevenson (Post 35582767)
I know but ps2 and ps3 was massive and totally format with a store, but fifa 14 if you get digital should work for both. I have 1100 items on ps store I can't use on ps4 till Sony can be bothered to sort it

This is same as Xbox One and has been the way for years. Its a way of devs getting more money and also its a different arcutitiure (excuse spelling)

cimt 11-06-2013 18:22

The PS4 will have DRM, it's just up to the publishers if they want to use it. It was just announced on GameTrailers...

Damien 11-06-2013 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 35582783)
The PS4 will have DRM, it's just up to the publishers if they want to use it. It was just announced on GameTrailers...

That is a massive gaff if true after what Sony have said. They'll look like liars and Microsoft will look honest.

cimt 11-06-2013 18:41

I know, shady move on their part. From what I'm reading they've also said it's upto the publishers to dictate the terms of the DRM. So MS has one system but Sony have went with letting publishers do whatever they want.

Damien 11-06-2013 18:44

It looks like they are saying Publishers can put it into their own games but no signs it's inbuilt into the console. I.E Online passes. So they're in the clear at the moment.

Uncle Peter 11-06-2013 18:46

Final specs:

◾Product name: PlayStation 4 Jet Black

◾Product code: CUH-1000A series

◾Recommended retail price: US $399, Canada $399, Europe €399, and UK £349

◾Main processor: Single-chip custom processor

◾CPU: x86/64 AMD "Jaguar", eight cores

◾GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon based graphics engine

◾Memory: GDDR5 8GB

◾Storage: 500GB hard disk drive

◾External dimensions: Approx 275x53x305mm (width x height x length -tentative, excludes largest projection)

◾Mass: Approx 2.8kg

◾Optical Drive: BD x6 CAV, DVD x8 CAV (read only)

◾Input/Output: Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) port x2, AUX port x1

◾Networking: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x1, IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1 (EDR)

◾AV Output: HDMI out port, Toslink SPDIF

◾Included: PlayStation 4 system, wireless controller (Dual Shock) x1, mono headset x1, AC power cord x1, HDMI cable x1, USB cable x1

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...final-ps4-spec

cimt 11-06-2013 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35582797)
It looks like they are saying Publishers can put it into their own games but no signs it's inbuilt into the console. I.E Online passes. So they're in the clear at the moment.

From what I'm seeing it could mean you'd have to be connected to things like Origin, uPlay and stuff. We all know how well that tends to work on PC, so imagine on a console.

Damien 11-06-2013 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 35582801)
From what I'm seeing it could mean you'd have to be connected to things like Origin, uPlay and stuff. We all know how well that tends to work on PC, so imagine on a console.

Nah it doesn't seem to mean that. That wouldn't work anyway because of the lack of online requirement. It seems, according to the IGN article anyway, that it's up to the publishers and they would need to write their own software to do it. Same as they do now with online passes.

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/11/44...to-enforce-drm

SnoopZ 11-06-2013 19:07

I have read somewhere that the PS4 HDD will be user changable.

Damien 11-06-2013 19:12

Better explanation: http://www.destructoid.com/did-trett...ctZq7mf1tt2.16

We have to wait and see to ensure Sony are really not changing anything but the interview today did not confirm Sony has DRM.

Tezcatlipoca 11-06-2013 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewstevenson (Post 35582767)

"Digital" is just a distribution method. Whether you bought the game via the PSN Store or on a disc, it is still a PS3 game, still coded for PS3s only, and therefore won't work on a PS4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35582794)
That is a massive gaff if true after what Sony have said. They'll look like liars and Microsoft will look honest.

Microsoft look like greedy fools, to me, regardless of anything Sony have said or will say.

adzii_nufc 11-06-2013 21:23

Can't see many publishers implementing DRM on a huge scale besides the usual greedy EA. So I'ts not really that big of a problem before it gets out of hand again.

cimt 11-06-2013 21:33

Sony clarified and said it's just for used games that have online. Basically online pass stuff.

adzii_nufc 11-06-2013 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 35582871)
Sony clarified and said it's just for used games that have online. Basically online pass stuff.

Single player only games are a rarity now and this screams cash in for EA unfortunately for some. I never purchase pre-owned games, largely due to wanting an unused copy that i'll never be trading in. No hassle with online passes etc.

Damien 11-06-2013 21:51

EA have ditched online pass.

adzii_nufc 11-06-2013 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35582877)
EA have ditched online pass.

For how long... It'll be back.

Little Q&A for you all :) Just click as images would have taken up half a giant post.

http://i.imgur.com/qlOVRBf.png

http://i.imgur.com/U3DppN6.png

http://i.imgur.com/NkRBj0H.png

http://i.imgur.com/7f3RAoc.png

http://i.imgur.com/n6ldUVH.png

http://i.imgur.com/EHOvxZF.png

Also the PS logo has been dropped from the PS4. I know I'm participating in both console debates with positive and negative factors for both consoles but it's a simple reason, I just love gaming. I'll play Xbox, PS or PC, I really do not care in the slightest =]

Added:

Holding a the new PS4 box design: http://i.imgur.com/3okqxvI.jpg

Tezcatlipoca 11-06-2013 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 35582871)

Yup, and only 3rd party games.

So it's actually better than system the PS3 has now, as 1st party games won't have Online Passes.

adzii_nufc 11-06-2013 23:51

http://i.imgur.com/9Ww4B4F.jpg

SnoopZ 11-06-2013 23:58

I hope we don't have to stand the PS4 upright as i have never been a fan of doing it like that and the thing looks huge so it probably won't fit on my TV stand.

SnoopZ 12-06-2013 00:24

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some close up photos for anyone that wants them, including the the rear of the console, which is showing lack of USB ports at the back as i can't see them, which makes it awkward to plug in a USB 3 external drive if required.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/at...1&d=1370993003

Tezcatlipoca 12-06-2013 00:50

Agh. You'd think that Sony would have realised the usefulness of rear USBs by now!

SnoopZ 12-06-2013 00:53

Things can change though, just like they did on the PS3.

I hope there is no overheating issue with a built in power supply.

Tezcatlipoca 12-06-2013 01:14

Ha. I would very much hope that both Sony and MS have learnt their lessons regarding badly designed and unreliable hardware, lol.

---------- Post added at 01:14 ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 ----------

Not sure if this has been posted...

Official Sony video on how to share PS4 games ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

SnoopZ 12-06-2013 01:34

Lol yes it was posted earlier, loved it.

SnoopZ 12-06-2013 11:47

Here is the PS4 user interface in action during gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=6mTFOVQsjB0#!

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

Hi Res photos available, i think it looks pretty sleek when you see it like this.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/11...entry595753494

coulsontom 12-06-2013 14:00

It's massive. In 4/5 years time they'll be one available for less than £200 and much smaller in size.

Uncle Peter 12-06-2013 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulsontom (Post 35583061)
It's massive. In 4/5 years time they'll be one available for less than £200 and much smaller in size.

Massive?

PS3 Slim: 325mm x 98mm x 274mm

PS4: 275mm x 53mm x 305mm

Barewolf 12-06-2013 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulsontom (Post 35583061)

Its not massive, its small in comparison to some things, my set top box from Sky is massive, but it doesn't stop me using it to watch TV. Why would anyone wait 2 years for a slimline version that's £100 or so less in price, it defeats the purpose of releasing the Ps4 at Christmas.

dilli-theclaw 12-06-2013 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barewolf (Post 35583094)
Its not massive, its small in comparison to some things, my set top box from Sky is massive, but it doesn't stop me using it to watch TV. Why would anyone wait 2 years for a slimline version that's £100 or so less in price, it defeats the purpose of releasing the Ps4 at Christmas.

Maybe, while interested, they are not being sucked into Sony's clear cut plans to get the sheeple to buy early. ;)

SnoopZ 13-06-2013 11:01

Do we know of a release date for the PS4 yet? :)

Can i signup for a PSN account before i have a playstation?

Uncle Peter 13-06-2013 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35583462)
Do we know of a release date for the PS4 yet? :)

Can i signup for a PSN account before i have a playstation?

In the absence of anything official, not sure how accurate this is:

http://www.simplygames.com/info/1995...-4-Console-PS4

PSN? You sure can

http://uk.playstation.com/registration/

SnoopZ 13-06-2013 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 35583469)
In the absence of anything official, not sure how accurate this is:

http://www.simplygames.com/info/1995...-4-Console-PS4

PSN? You sure can

http://uk.playstation.com/registration/

Cheers for that, lets see if i can register what i want(unlikely).

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

Do i NEED to put in legit info for my name and address or can i make it up? :)

Uncle Peter 13-06-2013 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35583471)
Cheers for that, lets see if i can register what i want(unlikely).

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 ----------

Do i NEED to put in legit info for my name and address or can i make it up? :)

Hmmm I would use your real details as it might affect your payment options in the PS Store.

SnoopZ 13-06-2013 11:40

Yes i did in the end, shame i couldn't use the ID i wanted though, does it let you change the ID once it is created as i can't find the option incase i change my mind?

I guess i will have to use a different email if i can't.

Anyway i need to buy a PS4 first, assuming i don't change my mind. :)

Uncle Peter 13-06-2013 11:49

I don't think you can change it at the moment, you never used to be able to. That's not to say things might change when they roll-out the PS4.

On a slightly different note, I noticed that there was this constant focus on "real world friends" during the E3 presentation. I wonder if they will prevent random freaks from bombarding you with friend requests.

Jameseh 13-06-2013 12:01

Yeah, more emphasis on your real name than your ID now;

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2013/06/49.png

Damien 13-06-2013 13:48

Probably means I can't trash talk people on Call of Duty :(.

Uncle Peter 13-06-2013 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35583512)
Probably means I can't trash talk people on Call of Duty :(.

Nah... if they got a problem tell them to bring their mates and their lunch

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

Playstation channel has released more details around game sharing on PS4

http://youtu.be/kWSIFh8ICaA