Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Help with Firmware Upgrade (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33606946)

videodj 26-01-2007 19:34

Help with Firmware Upgrade

Hi

Just trying to update the firmware on my WRT54GS UK router, download the correct file from linksys and went to router homepage, browsed to file and then upgrade. That was about 20 mins ago, stuck half through, what should I do, will it finish or have I screwed my router.

zing_deleted 26-01-2007 19:46

Re: Help with Firmware Upgrade

did it say it was writing the file? are you sure its not finished?

videodj 26-01-2007 19:48

Bar just stop moving and timer on curser is showing

zing_deleted 26-01-2007 19:50

oh dear best ask them before you do anything if it has started to write and its failed it could spell disaster

videodj 26-01-2007 19:54

Well, I closed ie window, then reopened and entered ip address and took me to homepage, seems all ok, and firmware version has changed. Not sure what happened.

zing_deleted 26-01-2007 20:00

you can say phew then ;)

videodj 26-01-2007 20:10

Yes, I did indeed :smokin:

Thanks for your help.

DocDutch 26-01-2007 20:22

trick question...did you run the firmware from wired or wireless?

if wireless then your extremely lucky to get into your router again.

videodj 26-01-2007 21:02

wired

dragon 26-01-2007 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34207154)
you can say phew then ;)

even if he had bricked it it might not have been the end of the world.

I bricked my dlink g624t the other day when the updater crashed out halfway though flashing it with the Routertech firmware :shocked:

Fortuantly the bootloader was still intact so i was able to manually set the ip/gateway address on the pc and rerun the update ultility.

So i guess if it had have been bricked providing the bootloader was intact and able to be accessed it might not have been the end for that router.

Btw the routertech firmware is brilliant, if you own a compatable router its well worth a try.

Goss 27-01-2007 13:04

I had problem about ten mins ago with firmware upgrade on linksys BEFSR41 router. I went straight to linksys uk? site found product, downloaded firmware, but when i tried to update it kept on failing, did that a few times, no joy. Then i realised these routers have different versions, mine was V3 so i scanned the download section on linksys site instead of the product, and i was then able to download the proper firmware update. I never realised there are so many different versions of the BEFSR41.