Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Boris Johnson (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706701)

1andrew1 07-08-2018 19:01

Re: Labour's Direction Under Jeremy Corbyn

As has been said before, the Labour Party seems to suffer from anti-Semitsm and the Conservative Party from Islamophobia. Neither cancels the other out but both leaders need to get a grip. JC by looking in the mirror and at his friends' list and TM at BoJo's latest pearls of wisdom. Until Theresa May asserts herself over BoJo, she has no chance in improving her negotiating position in Brussels.

Hugh 07-08-2018 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35958474)
As has been said before, the Labour Party seems to suffer from anti-Semitsm and the Conservative Party from Islamophobia. Neither cancels the other out but both leaders need to get a grip. JC by looking in the mirror and at his friends' list and TM at BoJo's latest pearls of wisdom. Until Theresa May asserts herself over BoJo, she has no chance in improving her negotiating position in Brussels.

Finally...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45096519
Quote:

PM Theresa May has backed calls for Mr Johnson to apologise, saying the remarks have "clearly caused offence".
But of course he won’t, as he is playing ‘dog whistle’ politics.

tweetiepooh 08-08-2018 10:23

Mr Johnson's comments maybe a little insensitive but don't attack a whole people group for who they are. He probably should apologise for causing offence even if he believes what he said is true and not intended to cause offence.

OLD BOY 08-08-2018 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35958545)
Mr Johnson's comments maybe a little insensitive but don't attack a whole people group for who they are. He probably should apologise for causing offence even if he believes what he said is true and not intended to cause offence.

The problem in this country these days is that humour has been sacrificed in favour of political correctness.

Does anyone think the burka looks like a letterbox? If so, you should be able to say so, at least in the context of how Boris made his comparison. It was not done in a hateful way, and that's what those who want to exercise their right to be offended are missing.

When I wore my dear old puffa jacket last winter, I was told I looked like Michelin Man. Was I offended? Of course not, I laughed (and haven't worn it since!).

I resent the fact that some people are trying to undermine British ways, such as our sense of humour, to make ridiculous political points.

Hugh 08-08-2018 19:42

Context is all - you are not a national politician writing in a national newspaper.

Mr K 08-08-2018 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35958622)
Context is all - you are not a national politician writing in a national newspaper.

Boris is just an ignorant, bigoted bloater with delusions of grandeur.. Who is going tell him ? ;) PM? lmao, think TM is safe if he her main opposition ! If the Tories don't deal with him, they are no better than Labour.

Interesting, but not surprising, is the difference treatment the press dish out to Corbyn & Bozza. .

Pierre 12-08-2018 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35959159)
Strange, I was thinking just how similar Boris and Trump are ! Being deliberately provocative to try and make themselves the media star, and playing to the worst most bigoted elements in society.

Bad hair is about as far as the similarity goes. Everything Boris had said ( for example the recent Burkha issue) is completely factual and reasoned.

Mr K 12-08-2018 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35959171)
Bad hair is about as far as the similarity goes. Everything Boris had said ( for example the recent Burkha issue) is completely factual and reasoned.

Really ? Comparing the way people dress to letterboxes? Childish school yard stuff. Designed to insult, and create maximum publicity for himself. As a national politician he's a disgrace (and a joke).

1andrew1 12-08-2018 21:20

Quote:

Everything Boris had said ( for example the recent Burkha issue) is completely factual and reasoned.

I'm not sure you know much about Boris, Pierre. He was sacked by The Times for making up a quote and by Michael Howard for lying about an affair.
https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/times-bo...son-flat-lied/

Hugh 12-08-2018 21:22

Quote:

Well, except for the time in 1988 when he got fired from the Times for two made up stories, or the time in November last year he told the House of Commons that “there can be no return to a hard border. There can be no hard border. That would be unthinkable, and it would be economic and political madness”, but said this year that it should not be the UK’s priority to ensure there is “no border” between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, but rather that it should make sure such a border should not be “significantly harder”, or the time during the Brexit campaign when he said it was absolutely crazy that the EU was setting rules on the shape of bananas (spolier alert - it wasn't, and that has been continuously debunked since 1994, but continues to raise it's ugly head every so often), or the time he got fired as Shadow Arts Minister in 2004 for lying about affairs he had had.

Damien 12-08-2018 21:40

Boris gets away with so much just because of his bumbling, eccentric, persona.

What about when he said he would lie in front of the bulldozers to block a new runway at Heathrow only to make sure he was out of the country when the vote came?

Or the money wasted on the Emirates Skyline near the O2 which no ones uses?

Even his resignation from the Foreign Office was typically self-serving after doing so on the day a British citizen was killed as a result of a poisoning in which they suspect Russia.

Pierre 12-08-2018 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35959176)
Well, except for the time in 1988 when he got fired from the Times for two made up stories,

Ok so we're going back 30 years now..................so relevant, thanks for the heads up.

Quote:

or the time in November last year he told the House of Commons that “there can be no return to a hard border. There can be no hard border. That would be unthinkable, and it would be economic and political madness”, but said this year that it should not be the UK’s priority to ensure there is “no border” between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, but rather that it should make sure such a border should not be “significantly harder”,
That is all opinion, which he is entitled to have.

Quote:

or the time during the Brexit campaign when he said it was absolutely crazy that the EU was setting rules on the shape of bananas (spolier alert - it wasn't, and that has been continuously debunked since 1994, but continues to raise it's ugly head every so often), or the time he got fired as Shadow Arts Minister in 2004 for lying about affairs he had had.
Not sure about the Banana bollocks, but again not sure about your point. I see nothing factual in your examples and certainly nothing that would be in detriment to his comments on Burkhas..............

---------- Post added at 22:09 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35959175)
I'm not sure you know much about Boris, Pierre.

Ha, got an expert here obviously.

He was sacked by The Times for making up a quote and by Michael Howard for lying about an affair.
https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/times-bo...son-flat-lied/[/QUOTE]

It's truly touching, and a little bit sad and immature, that you had to google, " all the times Boris Johnson had lied"'.

Congratulations, that puts you above most of the press. However, that also puts you in the weasel classification. I look forward to your redemption.

Mick 12-08-2018 22:14

Boris Johnson

Pulled the above posts from Corbyn thread, so we can have a Boris thread of our own....

Surprised there isn't one, until now...

Maggy 12-08-2018 22:29

Re: Boris Johnson

Boris is our Trump.

1andrew1 12-08-2018 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35959203)
It's truly touching, and a little bit sad and immature, that you had to google, " all the times Boris Johnson had lied"'.

Congratulations, that puts you above most of the press. However, that also puts you in the weasel classification. I look forward to your redemption.

I didn't Google that. Boris's sackings are public knowledge to many people. So another false statement on top of your original one about Boris.

Damien 13-08-2018 10:00

I hope the Tories see sense and go for some like Gove over Boris. The former has a proven track record of competence in government departments, unlike Boris, and is less of a extravagant attention seeker. It also seems like Gove did us all a favor when he identified Boris' inability to take things seriously so ran against him last time.

ianch99 13-08-2018 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35959240)
I hope the Tories see sense and go for some like Gove over Boris. The former has a proven track record of competence in government departments, unlike Boris, and is less of a extravagant attention seeker. It also seems like Gove did us all a favor when he identified Boris' inability to take things seriously so ran against him last time.

I doubt the teachers (and many parents) would agree with you. Gove is hated within the teaching profession for what he did there while in charge.

daveeb 13-08-2018 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35959247)
I doubt the teachers (and many parents) would agree with you. Gove is hated within the teaching profession for what he did there while in charge.

Agreed, my wife is a teacher and she's still feeling the effects of his meddling with the National Curriculum...roman numerals and being able to name wild flowers etc for five year olds. He also said if teachers aren't really stressed then the head teacher must be doing something wrong. The man is a complete joke. :mad:

denphone 13-08-2018 12:41

Quote:

He has quite a lot in common with Marcus Junius Brutus the Younger.;)

Damien 13-08-2018 12:48

Quote:

He has a better record at Justice and Environment where he generally has a better reputation.

Maggy 13-08-2018 15:37

No Gove was useless in Education..Not one of my old colleagues has a good word for him. He basically privatised education through the academies..

Julian 13-08-2018 17:42

The Education Secretary from 1970-1974 was unpopular with some yet went on to be PM for many years ;)

Pierre 13-08-2018 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35959290)
No Gove was useless in Education..Not one of my old colleagues has a good word for him. He basically privatised education through the academies..

Academies are, in the whole, doing very well.

Mr K 13-08-2018 20:15

Quote:

I think the Tories will rip themselves apart and self destruct as usual... Always very entertaining :). P.S. I do hate to be pedantic but I hate American spellings. We're British and proud. It's 'favour'.

denphone 13-08-2018 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35959331)
I think the Tories will rip themselves apart and self destruct as usual... Always very entertaining :). P.S. I do hate to be pedantic but I hate American spellings. We're British and proud. It's 'favour'.

Both parties are doing a very good job of that with Jezza the sympathiser again in the news today and with some Conservatives highlighting the underbelly of Islamophobia which is pretty endemic in Tory political ranks..

1andrew1 13-08-2018 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35959320)

Academies do not perform better than maintained schools.
https://schoolsweek.co.uk/epi-report...tant-findings/

Maggy 13-08-2018 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35959350)
Academies do not perform better than maintained schools.
https://schoolsweek.co.uk/epi-report...tant-findings/

Exactly!

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 35959320)

If you mean that the organisations running them are paying themselves very well and are making profit at the expense of the pupils then you are right.

ianch99 14-08-2018 13:07

Here's a very revealing interview with Boris. He does not come across PM material to me, maybe others will disagree?

Mick 14-08-2018 13:45

Define what makes a good Prime Minister... ?

Tony Blair - former PM - Liar and chief when it came to WMD and the Iraq war.

Gordon Brown - Former PM - Sold Gold at rock bottom prices.

John Major - Former PM - Famous for Black Wednesday financial crisis, exit from ERM, billions wasted - almost resigned as PM.

David Cameron - Former PM - Failed to properly prepare the UK for possible departure from the EU, resigned when he said he would be around to enact the result of the EU Referendum, leave was never expected to win.

So what makes a good PM, because the last few, including the current one, over the last few decades, were/are not up to scratch IMO.

Mr K 14-08-2018 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35959430)

John Major - Former PM - Famous for Black Wednesday financial crisis, exit from ERM, billions wasted - almost resigned as PM.

David Cameron - Former PM - Failed to properly prepare the UK for possible departure from the EU, resigned when he said he would be around to enact the result of the EU Referendum, leave was never expected to win.

So what makes a good PM, because the last few, including the current one, over the last few decades, were/are not up to scratch IMO.

So who do you rate to be a good PM Mick ?

Damien 14-08-2018 13:58

Quote:

I think it's inevitable that the longer someone is a PM the more mistakes they would make. However I would judge it by the ability they have to follow through on policy, command their majority, behave somewhat statesman like on the world stage and generally have a hold on what they are doing.

In those respects i don't think Major, Blair or Cameron were that bad. They'll have have lists of achievements too: the economy, big reduction in child poverty and NHS waiting times etc.

denphone 14-08-2018 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35959435)
I think it's inevitable that the longer someone is a PM the more mistakes they would make. However I would judge it by the ability they have to follow through on policy, command their majority, behave somewhat statesman like on the world stage and generally have a hold on what they are doing.

In those respects i don't think Major, Blair or Cameron were that bad. They'll have have lists of achievements too: the economy, big reduction in child poverty and NHS waiting times etc.

The trouble is voters always remember the worse things that they done rather then any good they did in their administration's.

heero_yuy 14-08-2018 14:41

Quote:

The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones. William Shakespeare.

ianch99 14-08-2018 15:26

Quote:

Indeed, good question. All you cite were poor in some respect or other. If all we have to choose from is the dross and Boris represents the best choice then we are indeed in dire straights.

Mr K 14-08-2018 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35959467)
Indeed, good question. All you cite were poor in some respect or other. If all we have to choose from is the dross and Boris represents the best choice then we are indeed in dire straights.

Hence my question to Mick - who does he want to lead the country ? If Boris is the answer then we might as well close UK plc now; we'll be the laughing stock of the world (even more so than the US..)

denphone 14-08-2018 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35959479)
Hence my question to Mick - who does he want to lead the country ? If Boris is the answer then we might as well close UK plc now; we'll be the laughing stock of the world (even more so than the US..)

Not a great lover of Maggie Thatcher personally but she makes these modern politicians look like 3rd rate clowns.

Chloé Palmas 14-08-2018 17:07

Pretty much the same Den, though I think that first rate clowns also have the same effect on today's morons in Westminster.

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

Quote:

That was one of the best defining moments of his Prime Ministerial premiership IMO, you know...when the UK could actually go round the world and claim to be a global leader.

Now...well let's see how seriously the UK is taken.

Even if you didn't support the war what about the rest of the 10 years? Obviously you're not going to have supported what he did in opening up the UK to potential cheap labor from the East but what about the rest?

If you didn't like every single thing he did, I get it...but is there nothing he did that you are satisfied with?

You have picked one thing here but he is still better than May or Cameron in the most insulting way to both of them - they will never be even half the conservative that he was.

I hated the handgun ban but other than that I acknowledge all the good that Blair did.

Quote:

Meh, I think that the vote to legalize gay marriage was his biggest disaster - it split the party in such a way that the traditionalist voters of yester-year will never return.

Traditional family values voters will never return to the C&U party...ever. It is now a party of homosexuality and abortion.

Quote:

May actually opens the eyes of many that being PM is no longer worth anything - it is much better to be the puppet master than the puppet as Johnson has shown. The first thing of any controversy he does since leaving as FS, and she takes the bait, falls into the trap and is now stuck. Major may be the only guiding hand as to how to get out now....but I'll wait for you reply first and then address how May now may have one shot at getting out of this.

Hugh 14-08-2018 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas (Post 35959490)
Pretty much the same Den, though I think that first rate clowns also have the same effect on today's morons in Westminster.

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 16:53 ----------

That was one of the best defining moments of his Prime Ministerial premiership IMO, you know...when the UK could actually go round the world and claim to be a global leader.

Now...well let's see how seriously the UK is taken.

Even if you didn't support the war what about the rest of the 10 years? Obviously you're not going to have supported what he did in opening up the UK to potential cheap labor from the East but what about the rest?

If you didn't like every single thing he did, I get it...but is there nothing he did that you are satisfied with?

You have picked one thing here but he is still better than May or Cameron in the most insulting way to both of them - they will never be even half the conservative that he was.

I hated the handgun ban but other than that I acknowledge all the good that Blair did.

Meh, I think that the vote to legalize gay marriage was his biggest disaster - it split the party in such a way that the traditionalist voters of yester-year will never return.

Traditional family values voters will never return to the C&U party...ever. It is now a party of homosexuality and abortion.

May actually opens the eyes of many that being PM is no longer worth anything - it is much better to be the puppet master than the puppet as Johnson has shown. The first thing of any controversy he does since leaving as FS, and she takes the bait, falls into the trap and is now stuck. Major may be the only guiding hand as to how to get out now....but I'll wait for you reply first and then address how May now may have one shot at getting out of this.

they are legal (and have been for over 50 years) but not compulsory...

Chloé Palmas 14-08-2018 19:07

Oh, did you mean generally speaking or for membership of the Conservative party? Because if the latter, I would assume that it is practically compulsory. /Rasp

Hugh 14-08-2018 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas (Post 35959519)
Oh, did you mean generally speaking or for membership of the Conservative party? Because if the latter, I would assume that it is practically compulsory. /Rasp

As a long standing member of the Tory party, no they’re not, and they’re not such a problem as a vociferous minority make out...

Chloé Palmas 14-08-2018 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35959331)
P.S. I do hate to be pedantic but I hate American spellings. We're British and proud. It's 'favour'.

Argh, it irritated the shit out of my when my husband did it but what really got me is that we use laptops from the US and when they keyboard preference is set to US English it just randomly takes the letter "u" out of every word it feels like.

Grrr...(though it might just be a keyboard thing with Damien).

richard s 14-08-2018 19:44

He will go down in history as Burka Boris the Buffoon... but I agree with him on this one.

Chloé Palmas 14-08-2018 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35959202)
Boris gets away with so much just because of his bumbling, eccentric, persona.

Not necessarily. He knows when there is weakness, he preys on it in a rather clumsy and affable manor....remember what happened when he spoke ill of folks in Liverpool? Howard made him go there, and apologize. He had an affair while serving in the shadow cabinet...Howard sacked him.

With May though, he has had a free ride all the way - every single time.

Why? Because she has no strength or conviction. More than just being a "flake" or whatever you want to call her, she is afraid.

Terrified of...well, everyone.

The mess after mess he has made as Foreign secretary...nobody from within government ever pulled him in line.

Remember him calling Thornberry by her husband's title?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...r-sexism-video

Look at the tongue lashing that an embattled speaker, in Bercow gave him.

May would never ever say a word to him...strong leaders though, do.

Cameron fought with him plenty, Howard sacked him - even IDS and Hague did not tolerate his wild behavior.

May does...usually with a smile and cute little nod. As if she knows her place and how she is to be subservient to whatever his whims / demands are.

Quote:

What about when he said he would lie in front of the bulldozers to block a new runway at Heathrow only to make sure he was out of the country when the vote came?
See any other foreign secretary would be forced to vote yes - he too...if she wasn't PM.

When Goldsmith resigned as an MP, he ran as an independent and lost his own seat! The Tories did not even field a candidate as she was so afraid of it splitting the vote and giving the seat to the Lib Dems...what happened in the end again?

Quote:

Or the money wasted on the Emirates Skyline near the O2 which no ones uses?
Yeah or the water canons when he was Mayor...I remember someone mentioning that when she sought the leadership...

Quote:

Even his resignation from the Foreign Office was typically self-serving after doing so on the day a British citizen was killed as a result of a poisoning in which they suspect Russia.
How long did they let him stay in the official quarters even after Hunt had been confirmed as foreign secretary? When you have a weak leader you can get away with anything you want...think IDS or Howard etc would let him get away with what he has to date (in this last year) if they were leader? As soon as he quit as foreign secretary, the first time that he did something controversial she picked a fight over it. And lost.

He is like anyone else in politics - likely to savage the weakest to get to the top. His biggest mistake was staying on so long after the election / becoming FS in the first place. Then again, what difference did it make? He pissed all over her anyway.

Damien 14-08-2018 20:52

He also seems to have a support base amongst these former colleagues in the media. Hence The Telegraph's support and, surprisingly since they're usually quite fair, The Spectator downplaying his every screw-up just because he used to be their editor.

He has Chris Grayling levels of achievement, a trial of failure in his wake, but is a contender fo the leadership because he can turn a phrase and has name recognition.

And that's without me mentioning his inability to tell the truth since that has already been discussed.

Still Corbyn had naff all qualification to be Labour Leader so maybe this is politics now.

Chloé Palmas 14-08-2018 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35959193)
Finally...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45096519

But of course he won’t, as he is playing ‘dog whistle’ politics.

Quote:

Okay so this is her one chance to go ahead and show some back bone / get a win...she will have to really come off as selfless, rather than selfish though - for once, take a hit for the team and really sacrifice, for the party.

Major resigned as party leader and then forced a vote of no confidence to be tabled, and beat Redwood, correct? (My memory is foggy plus I was only like 7 or something at the time).

If this investigation into Boris does lead to him being suspended, he won't be able to run for the leadership of the party, will he?

So...have the investigation into him go somewhere. Then as he is suspended, call a LE. If you lose...oh well. Either way Boris is screwed.

Now this won't happen, for 2 reasons:

1. May is the most idiotic woman going...even with Major's precedent she won't know how to pull this off without help. To put it mildly, she is too idiotic.

However she has staffers who will be able to do the hard work while she continues playing the role of the village idiot. So problem and obstacle number 1 is off set.

2. She is the most power hungry tramp going...she seems to have come to the agreement that she will take whatever (lying down usually), whenever and wherever, from whoever....so long as she gets to stay in power. She seems to have agreed this with, well...herself. (The last person left who thought that she herself had any dignity left).

She is unlikely to do something like this if she thinks that she is going to lose.

She has had some air of confidence when strutting into 1922 committee meetings knowing that she will survive so long a she provides what lip service that is needed. (No, that is not some vulgar reference to sexual gratuity before anyone starts...)

Now, if she stitches up Boris so that he can't run, there may well be so much anger that she actually loses the vote. Maybe.

At this point though, she has to remain totally committed to screwing Boris over, win or lose. She has to put the strongest conservative in there - either stealth and consensus like Davis or principled like Fox or Hammond.

So that person will not be toppled and can beat a weak Corbyn LP, effectively freezing Boris out of number 10 for good.

Sure, she'll be done as PM...so in some ways she needs to look at the positives. Like her daily torment and humiliation coming to an end.

She then needs to leave nasty little lines to say...people like Davis, and say stuff like "remember when Boris said that we would have a land of milk and honey and we would have our cake and eat it? Well obviously as a diabetic I can't but destroying his political career is sweet enough for both of us".

Or say to Gove "remember when you stabbed Boris in the back to let me become leader?" in ear shot of Boris.

Then she can take her seat in the Lords. She can turn around and say "yes, I was the most humiliated PM in history - but at least I managed to get there!"

Now obviously none of this will happen but the party chair seems to have other ideas - he looks to be fermenting his own run for leadership by complaining about Boris's article. He knows that she is too stupid to realize that she will now lose, but is she?

All that is just one big pip dream though, she really doesn't have the spine for any of that because of obstacle number 2...her own fear of...well, everything, and everyone.

Issue number 1 can be taken care of by those in power that dictate her every move.

Back to reality though....Boris is now in pole position to take over and call a GE so he can get enough of a majority to get a no deal vote through parliament ; because if not, we're staying in the EU.

Mick 15-08-2018 12:42

1 Attachment(s)
The Hard left and Corbynista group AKA Momentum, their Twitter poll results on withdrawing whip from Boris Johnson....

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1534333204

:rofl:

And yes I voted no, the whole row is pathetic. People need to stop getting offended at the slightest thing.

Mr K 15-08-2018 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35959662)
The Hard left and Corbynista group AKA Momentum, their Twitter poll results on withdrawing whip from Boris Johnson....

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1534333204

:rofl:

And yes I voted no, the whole row is pathetic. People need to stop getting offended at the slightest thing.

Like photos of someone attending a funeral ?

the poll result is probably because they want Bozza as PM; the next election would then be a walkover for Comrade Corbyn.

Mick 15-08-2018 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35959680)

the poll result is probably because they want Bozza as PM; the next election would then be a walkover for Comrade Corbyn.

The leader of the opposition, seen attending the memorial event of dead terrorists isn’t offensive, it’s a disgrace. Don’t conflate the two.

Chloé Palmas 15-08-2018 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35959680)

He shouldn't have attended, period.

Quote:

No at all - the only person that Corbyn could beat, was May. He lost that chance after last year and now will never be PM.

(Twofold, one after you nationalize you always socialize but that looks to be waning and secondly May was the weakest leader that he will ever face - he'll out-survive both May and Cameron but the next Tory leader will crush him, assuming that it is not Michael Gove).

richard s 15-08-2018 19:48

Could it be Tory fake news... damn where have I heard this from.

Chloé Palmas 15-08-2018 20:16

What part of it do you think is fake news? If you think that a majority of the C&U party do not support Boris over this then you are mistaken...deeply.

It is not fake news, he has a majority of the entire country on his side on this issue.

And he knows it.

Mr K 15-08-2018 20:55

The problem with Boris, is Boris. If he was Mickey Mouse, he'd be PM, no problem :D

Chloé Palmas 15-08-2018 21:14

Given that number 10 is occupied by Daffy duck at the moment I am pretty sure that Mickey would be an improvement.

Mr K 15-08-2018 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas (Post 35959832)
Given that number 10 is occupied by Daffy duck at the moment I am pretty sure that Mickey would be an improvement.

Yes utterly agree. Vote for Mickey, you know it makes sense ! Although Goofy might also be a good bet, or the remaining Chuckle Brother....

Chloé Palmas 15-08-2018 21:27

Ahhh don't besmirch the good name of Paul Chuckle!!!

Some Labor party politician compared the Tories to the chuckles recently.

Barry was a great guy.

Mr K 15-08-2018 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas (Post 35959839)
Ahhh don't besmirch the good name of Paul Chuckle!!!

Some Labor party politician compared the Tories to the chuckles recently.

Barry was a great guy.

Yes, the world is a sadder place, but think we've strayed off topic, my fault !

Chloé Palmas 15-08-2018 22:25

Ahh no worries the thread seems to be dying down some, anyway - I don't want people generating responses for the sake of it (conversation takes it natural ending).

It happens a lot with me with the posts I make - they tend to be the more finite endings of discussions a lot. When you tend to do this a lot / know politics like the back of your hand you tend to steer where the discussion goes unfortunately and I do a lot of that inadvertently.

Not your fault at all - just the natural flow of a topic. :) (Ask Luther, it's a miracle that these don't all end up being discussions about breasts / lingerie and dresses).

ianch99 16-08-2018 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas (Post 35959852)
Ahh no worries the thread seems to be dying down some, anyway - I don't want people generating responses for the sake of it (conversation takes it natural ending).

It happens a lot with me with the posts I make - they tend to be the more finite endings of discussions a lot. When you tend to do this a lot / know politics like the back of your hand you tend to steer where the discussion goes unfortunately and I do a lot of that inadvertently.

Not your fault at all - just the natural flow of a topic. :) (Ask Luther, it's a miracle that these don't all end up being discussions about breasts / lingerie and dresses).

I suspect it is dying, as you put it, because once you cover the points that Boris is an idiot and not fit for office, what is left? Just a bad joke ..

pip08456 16-08-2018 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35959941)
I suspect it is dying, as you put it, because once you cover the points that Boris is an idiot and not fit for office, what is left? Just a bad joke ..

Funny you should mention that, apparently Post Boxes have now entered the fray.

https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2018/08...y-letterboxes/

Caution, may contain language some may consider offensive.

Mr K 16-08-2018 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35959954)
Funny you should mention that, apparently Post Boxes have now entered the fray.

https://rochdaleherald.co.uk/2018/08...y-letterboxes/

Caution, may contain language some may consider offensive.

tbf the letterboxes have a point....

Mick 16-08-2018 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35959941)

But not really.

Boris was the Mayor of London, which by the way, has a office that he WAS fit for and he did a rather splendid job of the place - far cry from what it has become now, under a certain crappy mayor, with moped crime/knife crime/Acid attacks/murders blah blah. He WAS fit for office and he would make a better PM than May and the terrorist loving sympathiser, leader of a leftist, socialist cult and a racist Anti-Semitic, Jeremy Corbyn, any day.

Damien 16-08-2018 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35959976)
But not really.

Boris was the Mayor of London, which by the way, has a office that he WAS fit for and he did a rather splendid job of the place - far cry from what it has become now, under a certain crappy mayor, with moped crime/knife crime/Acid attacks/murders blah blah. He WAS fit for office and he would make a better PM than May and the terrorist loving sympathiser, leader of a leftist, socialist cult and a racist Anti-Semitic, Jeremy Corbyn, any day.

Boris wasted a lot of money as mayor on pet projects like the skylift and the garden bridge. His record isn't great.

Mick 17-08-2018 00:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35959988)
Boris wasted a lot of money as mayor on pet projects like the skylift and the garden bridge. His record isn't great.

He is way better than the current one, any day.

His approval rating was 54% on leaving office of London Mayor in 2016. There was low expectations when he got the job, but as he was re-elected in 2012, to serve two terms, he must have been a hit to get that far.

Mr K 17-08-2018 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35960040)

His approval rating was 54% on leaving office of London Mayor in 2016. There was low expectations when he got the job, but as he was re-elected in 2012, to serve two terms, he must have been a hit to get that far.

Do you live in London Mick? Maybe best to leave it to Londoners to decide how brilliant he was. Personally think they were welcome to him ! Andy Burnham, now he's a great Mayor ;)

Hugh 17-08-2018 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35960040)

You could say the same thing about Ken Livingston, then...

(I wouldn’t, but he served two terms)

Mick 17-08-2018 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35960045)
Do you live in London Mick? Maybe best to leave it to Londoners to decide how brilliant he was. Personally think they were welcome to him ! Andy Burnham, now he's a great Mayor ;)

I will remember that next time you criticise President Trump and will ask you if you live in America, if not, tell you to let them decide if he is good or not.

Mr K 17-08-2018 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35960078)
I will remember that next time you criticise President Trump and will ask you if you live in America, if not, tell you to let them decide if he is good or not.

Same would apply to you Mick ;)

Mick 17-08-2018 12:14

I’ll decide what applies to me, no one else.

Sephiroth 17-08-2018 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35959205)

First, you must not tarnish the Conservative Party with the word Islamophobia. You cannot substantiate that.

Second, a phobia has to be irrational. There is nothing irrational about being worried about what a Burka hides or, for that matter, a person with a beard and a rucksack sitting opposite you on the tube and praying might intend doing. There is nothing irrational about worrying what's going on in mosques when we read about Imams urging violence and so on.

Third, Boris may well behave like a buffoon at times but at least he says what he thinks and he's not far off the popular mark most times. He should have put the "letter box" comment in a more meaningful way around intimidating appearance or concealment. But he was, at least, defending peoples' right to wear what they choose in our country.

Fourth, this seems to be a Remainers vs Leavers debate.

We will find out more if Boris tries to become Conservative Leader and then, if so, what happens at the polls. If Boris wins, no doubt the Remainers in this topic will declare the electorate to be Islamophobic.

ianch99 19-08-2018 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35960123)
First, you must not tarnish the Conservative Party with the word Islamophobia. You cannot substantiate that.

Second, a phobia has to be irrational. There is nothing irrational about being worried about what a Burka hides or, for that matter, a person with a beard and a rucksack sitting opposite you on the tube and praying might intend doing. There is nothing irrational about worrying what's going on in mosques when we read about Imams urging violence and so on.

Third, Boris may well behave like a buffoon at times but at least he says what he thinks and he's not far off the popular mark most times. He should have put the "letter box" comment in a more meaningful way around intimidating appearance or concealment. But he was, at least, defending peoples' right to wear what they choose in our country.

We will find out more if Boris tries to become Conservative Leader and then, if so, what happens at the polls. If Boris wins, no doubt the Remainers in this topic will declare the electorate to be Islamophobic.

He does not need to substantiate it, it is, as you say, in the public domain:

Former Conservative co-chair Baroness Warsi: The Islamophobia scandal in the Conservative party goes 'right up to the top'

Some examples:

Tory MP accused of Islamophobia after posting anti-Muslim article on Facebook

Tory councillor suspended over 'Muslim parasites' post the day after visiting a mosque with party's Deputy chairman

Tory candidate suspended for suggesting ‘people hang bacon to protect homes from terrorism’

papa smurf 19-08-2018 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35960123)

Or claim they didn't know what they were voting for and demand a re-run .

denphone 19-08-2018 16:07

Both main parties are still in denial with Islamophobia and Antisemitism as they basically pay insincere lip service to it in their parties.

Sephiroth 19-08-2018 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35960499)
He does not need to substantiate it, it is, as you say, in the public domain:

baroness-warsi[/COLOR]-interview-2018-6"]Former Conservative co-chair Baroness Warsi: The Islamophobia scandal in the Conservative party goes 'right up to the top'
[SEPH]: Baroness Warsi would say that; wouldn't she?

Some examples:

Tory MP accused of Islamophobia after posting anti-Muslim article on Facebook
[SEPH]: Depends on your view of his words. How unjustified were they? See this article in the Telegraph: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/rel...UK-faiths.html from which I quote:
Sir Andrew Green, chairman of Migrationwatch, suggested the real number of foreign-born Muslims in the UK could be much higher, due to the presence of illegal immigrants who would be unlikely to respond to government surveys.

He said: "The rapid rise in the Muslim population is just one way in which mass immigration promoted, even encouraged, by this Government has affected the whole nature of our society."

Tory councillor suspended over 'Muslim parasites' post the day after visiting a mosque with party's Deputy chairman [SEPH]: That would seem to be irrational so he should be sanctioned. Doesn't mean the Tory Party is Islamophobic.

Tory candidate suspended for suggesting ‘people hang bacon to protect homes from terrorism’
[SEPH]: Ditto.

So where does that leave Boris? His words were rational, albeit poorly chosen.

Chloé Palmas 19-08-2018 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35960502)
Or claim they didn't know what they were voting for and demand a re-run .

So you want elections to last a lifetime and not have new elections after a parliamentary period?

Maybe some of us who think that the public should have a final say on the EU issue are projecting a Democratic election onto the mandate of a referendum but perhaps you are projecting the principle of a referendum upon what is defined as an election?

These are not lifetime appointments when elected to parliament ; fresh elections after a certain period of time are the norm....

papa smurf 19-08-2018 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas (Post 35960533)
So you want elections to last a lifetime and not have new elections after a parliamentary period?

Maybe some of us who think that the public should have a final say on the EU issue are projecting a Democratic election onto the mandate of a referendum but perhaps you are projecting the principle of a referendum upon what is defined as an election?

These are not lifetime appointments when elected to parliament ; fresh elections after a certain period of time are the norm....

did you actually read what i said ?

Chloé Palmas 19-08-2018 19:53

Yeah (given that I replied to it).

I suppose that you don't see the irony.

papa smurf 19-08-2018 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas (Post 35960551)
Yeah (given that I replied to it).

I suppose that you don't see the irony.

Did you understand it ?

Chloé Palmas 19-08-2018 20:06

Apparently not...enlighten me.

ianch99 19-08-2018 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35960514)
So where does that leave Boris? His words were rational, albeit poorly chosen.

I agree (kind of). His views but not his words were rational. Maajid Nawaz summarises the situation very well:

Quote:

This is the uniform of medieval patriarchal tyranny. It victim-blames women for their beauty. Where this is enforced it symbolises violent mysogyny. I’m not advocating banning this monstrosity but I refuse to defend it. It deserves to be ridiculed. Not the women inside it.
This is the right approach. The stress being this that this is not a criticism of the woman wearing the clothing, rather the men behind the diktat.

Boris, having subtlety surgically removed at an early age is unable to see the nuance that is needed here. His clumsy approach was and is more likely to lead to dog-whistle racism than focusing the criticism on the people really responsible for this.

Chloé Palmas 19-08-2018 22:02

Quote:

I hope the Tories see sense and go for some like Gove over Boris.

I don't think that them doing that equates to them seeing sense. I think that they would nominate a leader that could not lead the party into a GE.

Quote:

The former has a proven track record of competence in government departments, unlike Boris, and is less of a extravagant attention seeker.
His wife makes up for it on that front - at her encouragement he destroyed Boris which is why we all have May now.

Quote:

It also seems like Gove did us all a favor when he identified Boris' inability to take things seriously so ran against him last time.
Oh I dunno...there are many places where I differ with Boris but having your stooge / campaign head stab you in the back hardly shows the seriousness of the guy that screwed you over....

denphone 18-09-2019 14:44

Boris Johnson confronted in hospital with a unhappy father of a sick child.

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-joh...pital-11813046

pip08456 18-09-2019 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36010515)

Quote:

Omar Salem, a Labour activist, remonstrated with the prime minister during a visit to Whipps Cross University Hospital in northeast London.
Yeh OK.

peanut 18-09-2019 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36010515)

'A labour activist'....

denphone 18-09-2019 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36010526)
Yeh OK.

Not interested who he is a activist for as he is voicing everything that is wrong with the NHS currently unless you disagree with those sentiments?.

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36010527)
'A labour activist'....

Who he supports politically does not interest me.

Mick 18-09-2019 16:40

This thread is closed as we have just had a similar topic closed because of the endless arguments that ensued.