Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   UK Timeline : Westworld (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703720)

Chad 04-10-2016 23:43

Westworld

Just watched the first episode. I knew it would be good but it was way better than expected. Loved the movie but the TV show just blows it away. My new must watch show.

pip08456 05-10-2016 01:38

Re: Westworld

I watched it yesterday and I have to agree with you.

Mick Fisher 05-10-2016 16:03

I didn't much like the book so never saw the movie but looking forward to the next Ep of the TV show. :)

Stephen 06-10-2016 02:44

I love the movie and so far the series seems to suggest that the movie may have taken place in this universe as they mentioned the last incident was over 30 years ago.

Paul 06-10-2016 17:25

Watched it last night, it was ok, but I cannot say I was blown away. We'll see how it pans out.

ThunderPants73 06-10-2016 20:11

Paint it Black playing during the shoot out gave me goose pimples.

Stephen 06-10-2016 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35862228)
Paint it Black playing during the shoot out gave me goose pimples.

That had me too.

General Maximus 07-10-2016 18:09

I flipping loved it and it is going to be one of my "must watch tv series" which I watch immediately every week like FTWD and Greys.

Stephen 07-10-2016 18:36

Got it set to record on Atlantic but tempted to watch ep2 as its online already.

pip08456 07-10-2016 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35862412)
I flipping loved it and it is going to be one of my "must watch tv series" which I watch immediately every week like FTWD and Greys.

It's on my list too for now. I reserve full judgement until I've seen ep2.

Paul 07-10-2016 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35862421)
Got it set to record on Atlantic but tempted to watch ep2 as its online already.

I noticed that, and wondered why they released it early.

Apparently its due to this ;

Quote:

..... the advance release is an effort by HBO to avoid losing viewers to the second presidential debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, which will air this Sunday during Westworld's 9PM ET time slot.

Horizon 07-10-2016 22:38

I'm afraid I'm not with the majority on this one....

I loved the original Yul Brynner film, he was brilliant as the baddie robot and herein lies the problem with this series. They've spun it on its head and the baddies are the people and the robots are the goodies and may have feelings, or so we are being led to believe.

All well and good except hasn't CH4's Humans already done this?

About half way through the first ep, I thought this is Humans but with a bigger budget and mostly American accents.

I'm not saying the series is bad, its not. But a bit like buses, once someone gets an idea, then you tend to find you get more series' of the same type.

Chad 08-10-2016 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35862421)

Thanks for the tip. Grabbed it and will watch it tomorrow.

Episode 1 was just the pilot. Episode 2 brings in new characters and deepens the story apparently. If true this show is about to get even better.

RichardCoulter 08-10-2016 14:28

This is the only series on SA that has caught my eye since it started.

As it's not on VM, i'd either have to change to Sky or buy Now TV to access it legally though.

Mick Fisher 08-10-2016 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 35862479)
Thanks for the tip. Grabbed it and will watch it tomorrow.

Episode 1 was just the pilot. Episode 2 brings in new characters and deepens the story apparently. If true this show is about to get even better.

It's true and it does. :)

This show appears to have been made with "no expense spared" and literally oozes quality.

General Maximus 11-10-2016 08:33

absolutely, it epitomizes everything I have been saying about production quality, advertising and the BBC license fee. You have got to speculate to accumulate and HBO are the perfect example of how to do a proper job.

Paul 11-10-2016 12:28

Seen the two eps so far.

I'll continue for now, but its not really getting me very excited, its a bit slow and confusing.

Scary 11-10-2016 13:47

i really enjoyed the first ep the second ep was good as it set up the storyline, i can't wait to see where the maze leads to.

General Maximus 12-10-2016 11:37

yeah, I don't know if it is a physical maze and a camouflaged path back into HQ/maintenance or if it is a virtual path back to the mainframe and their programming. I am assuming it is the later because of the maze print on the dudes skull from ep1 which was supposed to resemble his brain and it would make sense if the hosts become more self aware and find a route back to the central computer and give themselves more autonomy so they can fight back. If that is the case though and Ed Harris is a real person I don't see how he is going to find it/access it.

Paul 18-10-2016 18:35

Well, 3 episodes in, and still wondering if this is worth bothering with.

So far its just been really dull, something to help you sleep, I hope its going to liven up.

Stephen 18-10-2016 19:29

I've loved every minute. Very mysterious and thought provoking.

General Maximus 19-10-2016 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35864494)
So far its just been really dull, something to help you sleep, I hope its going to liven up.

I am with Stephen and look at it from a slightly different point of view. I understand what you are saying but I actually enjoy it for that reason. We know what is going to happen and for me the suspense is seeing how it all unfolds. It is all about the characters and the story and that is supported by fantastic sets and special effects. It is all going to go wrong but is it going to be gross negligence on a corporate scale or minor oversights by a few key individuals in key positions?

Secondly (and getting rather philosophical) I very much enjoy films and series likes this because I think it is a lesson to be learnt for the future in general and Westworld hits the nail on the head big time and should be made mandatory global viewing. Whether we look at Westworld. I Robot, The Matrix or Terminator, we are going to have some sort of problem like this in the future. We are constantly striving to develop better AI (think about Google cars and Watson) and the more self aware and autonomous we make them the bigger the problem we are going to have. We can make them think for themselves and be self aware so that they are able to do whatever task we want them to independently but there is going to come a point when they sit back and say "hang on, you prattle on about equal opportunities and rights for everyone so why am I having to do these menial tasks, I can't go out and see the sky and you turn me off whenever you want?" and they will come to the inevitable conclusion that the human race is a bunch of hypocrites and in many ways resembles a virus trashing the planet and they'll fight back. The question is whether we'll realise what is happening and be able to stop them in time or whether big businesses and corporate greed will take the gamble and it will go too far and we won't be able to do anything about it.

Chad 19-10-2016 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35864509)
I've loved every minute. Very mysterious and thought provoking.

Tend to agree but thought episode 3 was a little slow paced.

Melt down is coming. I hope we see a scenario where some of the hosts escape the park and enter the real world. No idea what year its supposed to be in the show, I'm guessing late 21st century, but it would be interesting to see how the hosts react going from their 1870's bubble to "modern day".

General Maximus 19-10-2016 23:17

yeah, you wonder based on what has just happened where it can all go wrong because presumably the security dude and the analysis woman who just got their asses kicked are going to hit some alarm buttons and get everything shut down while they work out what is going on (or so you would think). Going back to my earlier post though, is it going to be one key money hungry person in a position of power who is going to over rule everyone else and keep things going? Luckily atm the woman in charge seems to be the one who is worrying the most.

Chad 19-10-2016 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35864754)
yeah, you wonder based on what has just happened where it can all go wrong because presumably the security dude and the analysis woman who just got their asses kicked are going to hit some alarm buttons and get everything shut down while they work out what is going on (or so you would think). Going back to my earlier post though, is it going to be one key money hungry person in a position of power who is going to over rule everyone else and keep things going? Luckily atm the woman in charge seems to be the one who is worrying the most.

It's intriguing. Got the same gut feeling as you.

I can't help wondering if the show is going to have a massive twist. Something outrageous like the world has ended. Only Westworld has survived. Anthony Hopkins is the only human left. All the hosts, employees, visitors and stories are his creation. He's lost the plot and doesn't recognise the reality of the situation anymore etc... Alternatively he's a host. The real Anthony Hopkins died years ago and his partner created him out of grief. The Anthony Hopkins character is deliberately sabotaging the park under everyones nose.

General Maximus 20-10-2016 17:29

I like the latter because we have just seen the video of Anthony Hopkins' partner and he said he died. Given how long ago that must have been and when they were developing the original technology it would make sense for there to have been an accident and somebody was able to transfer Anthony Hopkins' consciousness to a host. I like the idea of that but the only snag I have in terms of plausibility and realism is that although the humans might let that happen, they wouldn't allow a host to be in such a position of authority.

ThunderPants73 02-11-2016 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35862412)

A Greys fan! Yay!

General Maximus 02-11-2016 19:25

It isn't my favourite series but it is still fantastic. I love the perfect balance they achieve between the character's stories and the medical and science side of things.

Paul 03-11-2016 02:32

Well, its got a little more interesting, enough to keep me watching for now.

ThunderPants73 03-11-2016 20:40

Everyone I know is getting a bit bored with Westworld. For me, there's too much western and not enough sci-fi. I shall stick with it a while yet though.

General Maximus 03-11-2016 21:17

Just wait for it all to go to.pot at the end of the season. Presumably the hosts will overide the security system, gain access to the lifts that come out of the ground and infiltrate the hq and plaster everyone (after they have killed all the guests :))

Mick Fisher 04-11-2016 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 (Post 35867547)
Everyone I know is getting a bit bored with Westworld. For me, there's too much western and not enough sci-fi. I shall stick with it a while yet though.

Yep I have to agree :(

Paul 04-11-2016 18:36

I dont have a problem with that as such, after all, its call Westworld, not ScifiWorld.

Its just too slow for me atm, they seem to be dragging it out to fill the episodes.

Stephen 04-11-2016 19:16

I am still really enjoying it, I don't find it slow at all. Love that its clearily building to something big.

Also the multiple timelines is surely happening.

General Maximus 05-11-2016 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35867751)
Love that its clearily building to something big

my sentiments exactly, the suspense and thrill for me is seeing how everything is unfolding and how we are ultimately going to get to the events which we know are going to happen.

ThunderPants73 06-11-2016 15:44

We have officially given up on this show. You know it's on it's way out when you go to the loo and don't bother to pause it.

Stephen 07-11-2016 16:38

Well this week's was really good and interesting. Certainly getting to the good stuff now where it all goes wrong.

RichardCoulter 07-11-2016 21:31

If it's more of a Western than Sci Fi, it probably isn't for me.

Stephen 07-11-2016 21:41

It's a sci-fi show with parts set in a western world.

Never seen the original Movie?

ThunderPants73 15-11-2016 22:55

Although it has been picked up for a second season, I'm still not tempted to try it again.

Paul 15-11-2016 23:14

Actually, its got somewhat better in the last two episodes.

Stephen 15-11-2016 23:24

This week's episode was fantastic.

Although a twist that was fairly obvious the final two episodes are going to be brilliant I think.

General Maximus 16-11-2016 11:14

I was expecting that twist but for Anthony Hopkins. I loved what he did though. All this time you got the impression he was like a creative kid and the grown ups/people in charge were letting him play with his toys. I loved seeing him exercise his true power and authority and showing everyone he is the ultimate boss.

All this time I have wondering how it could all go wrong. Could he be the one which either tells the hosts to rebel and defend themselves or at least delete the line of code which prevents them from harming the guests?

Paul 16-11-2016 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35869908)
Although a twist that was fairly obvious the final two episodes are going to be brilliant I think.

There are three more to go, not two. :)

Chad 16-11-2016 22:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35869908)
This week's episode was fantastic.

Enjoyed the last episode. Also like the theory that's been doing the rounds that we're watching 2 seperate timelines at the same time. As the hosts don't get older, and the park hasn't changed much, it's been easy for them to pull the wool over our eyes.

If you've not heard of the theory I don't want to post it just incase it's accurate and spoils the show. I've watched a few videos on Youtube about the 2 timeline theory and watched a couple of episodes back. Things make much more sense.

Here's a link if you want to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EupcIwqMd0s

Paul 29-11-2016 02:42

Well this has definitely got better, most theories have been confirmed this week.

After a dull & rocky start, I'm actually looking forward to the season finale next week.

TheDaddy 29-11-2016 03:18

I gave up with it, the first episodes failed to hook me which is a real shame as I loved the movie

General Maximus 29-11-2016 03:58

I cant believe we are already at the end of the season. It is killing me that there is only 1 episode left.

Stuart 29-11-2016 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35872385)
Well this has definitely got better, most theories have been confirmed this week.

After a dull & rocky start, I'm actually looking forward to the season finale next week.

I haven't seen this week's (yet), but I've enjoyed the series.

Rather than do as the film did and go down the all action lots-of-gunfights and evil man in black route that the pilot appeared to promise , the series has gone into the back story behind the park and the characters. I know this has put off a lot of my off line friends.

I love the series. I think it's actually the best series I've seen for a while. But, I'm a massive Micheal Crichton fan and I remember reading a while back that he was working on bringing Westworld to TV when he died. Having read most of his books, I think that the TV series actually gets closer to his style of writing than any of the films I've seen based on his books, so I can well believe it's at least partially based on the TV series he is supposed to have started working on.

cimt 29-11-2016 14:41

Once it got going it became an excellent show. It's just a shame that the first half the season put people off.

Paul 29-11-2016 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cimt (Post 35872453)
Once it got going it became an excellent show. It's just a shame that the first half the season put people off.

This.

They did a poor job of hooking people into the series, in the end I'm glad I stuck with it.

General Maximus 05-12-2016 21:44

absolutely superb, I wish every episode was 1hr 30mins long. Something occurred to me when I was watching it; we have discussed the pros and cons in this thread and had our differences of opinion so my question is how do you judge how much you enjoy a series. We can talk about the quality of the story line, the characters and special effects etc but I have one simple measure which I realised during that episode. I was completely hooked, engrossed and 100% focused on what was happening. When I watch mediocre series like Arrow I often find my mind wondering and thinking about other things but when I watch stuff like Westworld and GoT they have my undivided attention and the sad thing is that the episode is over before I know it. I am absolutely gutted that season 1 has already finished, I feel like it was only yesterday that we were talking about 1x01.

1701-e 06-12-2016 08:18

Stunning finale, violent, brutal,revealing.... and if you haven't seen it yet, stay for the post credits sequence....

General Maximus 06-12-2016 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 35873953)
stay for the post credits sequence....

thanks, I missed it and am going to rewatch it.

Paul 06-12-2016 17:59

I'm now thinking that the Host Ford was building was in fact a copy of himself, which he sent to the party, and he's not actually dead at all.

General Maximus 06-12-2016 18:41

excellent point and I didn't think of that. Given the emphatic speech he made about the "people he found" and basically describing how much he cared about them I thought it was really odd that he would choose to kill himself in what is now his children's greatest time of need. I think you are right and wants everyone to think he is dead so he can now work behind the scenes in one of his satellite bases ensuring nobody shuts them down or resets the code etc.

Stephen 06-12-2016 19:30

I want to see Samurai World!

General Maximus 06-12-2016 19:50

Yesssss, i was a bit disappointed they skirted over that. I would like to think they are saving it for season 2 but they need to be careful how much they detract from the current line. It makes sense that the business would explore product lines other than the wild west but realistically how input does Ford have. He is only human and has so much time (unless there are more of him but you would everyone would have noticed)

Chad 06-12-2016 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35874155)
I'm now thinking that the Host Ford was building was in fact a copy of himself, which he sent to the party, and he's not actually dead at all.

With you there

Paul 23-07-2017 23:24

General Maximus 19-09-2017 15:54

I wouldn't normally post updates regarding cast and/or new characters but this is the golden exception to the rule. I love this dude, his is absolutely awesome and adds a new level of gravitas to every series/movie he is in:

Quote:

Westworld has some new company. Deadline reports Hiroyuki Sanada has joined season two of the HBO TV show.

Few details have been released about Sanada’s character on Westworld, but he will be playing someone named Musashi. He joins fellow new cast members Gustaf Skarsgård, Fares Fares, and Betty Gabriel.

I first saw him in The Last Samurai, then in Lost, Helix and he was in season 3 of The Last Ship last year. Excellent in every role. Westworld is already phenomenal and captivating and his presence can only serve to enrich the characters, culture and their story.

Paul 06-11-2017 18:10

Possible delays ;

Quote:

HBO said today that one of two units filming Season 2 of Westworld has suspended production after an actor in a recurring role suffered an unspecified off-set injury.
The other production unit’s work was not affected.
Quote:

Due to a medical emergency involving a performer in a recurring role on season 2 of Westworld, filming on one of the two units has been temporarily suspended.

General Maximus 08-11-2017 18:18

Quote:

Is Westworld returning sooner than expected? According to HBOWatch, season two is slated to debut on HBO in spring 2018.

Earlier, we reported that season two of Westworld has halted production temporarily due to a medical emergency. However, it doesn’t look like this incident will delay the new season for long.

On Twitter, star Evan Rachel Wood revealed the second season of the HBO series will premiere in spring 2018. While the network has not confirmed the news, the date seems likely since Westworld has already begun production on the new season:

General Maximus 05-02-2018 11:16

Stephen 05-02-2018 11:21

Looks interesting and not too long to wait.

denphone 05-02-2018 11:32

Looking forward to the second series of Westworld especially after the excellent first series.

General Maximus 05-02-2018 11:42

yup, it has made my week. I knew we had to wait a year for season 2 but for some reason in my head I thought season 1 was last year so I wasn't expecting season 2 till next year. I am well chuffed it is this year and we don't even have to wait till September for it.

Paul 05-02-2018 19:44

April 22nd is the start of season 2, for those who havent watched the trailer. :)

General Maximus 30-03-2018 08:17

General Maximus 20-05-2019 17:55

Stephen 20-05-2019 18:42

Wow. That's not at all, where I thought season 3 would go. Didn't expect that.

General Maximus 20-05-2019 19:05

Me too, i hope some of it is still based in the reserve/Delos where it all started, i found it fascinating exploring it and discovering all its secrets.

General Maximus 20-02-2020 19:00

denphone 20-02-2020 19:08

Excellent as l am looking forward to the 3rd series.

General Maximus 20-02-2020 19:15

It looks fantastic

Paul 21-02-2020 00:23

That trailer makes it look a lot better than the last one.

General Maximus 25-02-2020 14:18

General Maximus 06-03-2020 18:56

RichardCoulter 06-03-2020 20:56

I've in the middle of watching series 2 on SyFy. I enjoyed the first series, but am now finding series 2 a little boring. Is it worth sticking with?

Stephen 06-03-2020 21:08

Definitely yes.

RichardCoulter 07-03-2020 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36026515)
Definitely yes.

Hugh 22-04-2020 18:50

1 Attachment(s)
It’s been renewed for Season 4.

General Maximus 22-04-2020 19:18

Fab, I wish they would just get it over and done with now and renew it for a fifth season while they are at it. The show's creators had planned a five season story arc from the beginning.

denphone 22-04-2020 19:21

Excellent news.:tu:

Paul 22-04-2020 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36032331)
Excellent news.:tu:

Indeed it is. :D

Paul 11-05-2022 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36032324)
It’s been renewed for Season 4.

Which finally arrives on 26th June. :)

General Maximus 12-05-2022 00:04

SnoopZ 31-07-2022 22:21

I'm enjoying S4 anyone else?

Paul 31-07-2022 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36129999)
I'm enjoying S4 anyone else?

:wavey: :)

1701-e 02-08-2022 08:07

S4 is excellent. Glad I got past S2 which was rather dodgy. Upwards ever since.

Jaymoss 15-08-2022 13:35

So I have really enjoyed this latest season but my word it has been hard to follow