Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

OLD BOY 03-05-2020 19:43

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36033723)
Because it's the equivalent of "whatever!" - not adding value to the conversation...

It's the way you've interpreted it, Hugh.

What I meant was that the article confirmed jfman's view, which he had expressed on these forums.

vincerooney 03-05-2020 20:12

Apparently the entire boxset of scrubs has arrived on All4. However nothing on virgin media. do we not have the full features and content of All4?

Hugh 03-05-2020 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36033738)
It's the way you've interpreted it, Hugh.

What I meant was that the article confirmed jfman's view, which he had expressed on these forums.

Yes, that certainly plays to your mindset, OLD BOY.

Legendkiller2k 03-05-2020 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36033741)
Apparently the entire boxset of scrubs has arrived on All4. However nothing on virgin media. do we not have the full features and content of All4?

I've not seen it on SKYs boxsets either yet, maybe it goes live tomorrow?

1andrew1 03-05-2020 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36033747)
I've not seen it on SKYs boxsets either yet, maybe it goes live tomorrow?

It's on All4's website, the app on my Samsung TV and the Now TV box so I assume it will arrive on the remaining platforms imminently.

Legendkiller2k 03-05-2020 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36033766)
It's on All4's website, the app on my Samsung TV and the Now TV box so I assume it will arrive on the remaining platforms imminently.

Yeah just checked on my nvidia shield it's on there.

SonicMaster 04-05-2020 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36033741)

Unfortunately not yet. I appears that the actual All4 app might be about to be added to VM, but in the meantime it's just a limited selection of Catch Up and On Demand content on VM.

OLD BOY 04-05-2020 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36033831)
Unfortunately not yet. I appears that the actual All4 app might be about to be added to VM, but in the meantime it's just a limited selection of Catch Up and On Demand content on VM.

All4 without the ads would be good.

Horizon 04-05-2020 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36033646)
While Netflix (and others) are enjoying the financial consequences of a third of the planet generally staying indoors I stumbled across this article that I think sums up a lot of the streaming industry.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...business-model

And are you suggesting that Netflix is like Deliveroo? What is your view?

Takeaways tend to be expensive, so if there is a economic downturn, yes this could hurt Deliveroo. But Netflix is cheaper and besides, if people can't afford to go out, have takeaways etc, I suggest to you that this would be good for Netflix and the other streamers. People have got to have some pleasures in life.

The other point I'd make is that regardless of the virus and its after effects, Netflix has created a systemic change in the media industry forever. Which as I keep saying, is why Murdoch sold out, as he knew he could not compete in the new streaming age with gigantic tech giants with deep pockets.

jfman 04-05-2020 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 36033869)
And are you suggesting that Netflix is like Deliveroo? What is your view?

Takeaways tend to be expensive, so if there is a economic downturn, yes this could hurt Deliveroo. But Netflix is cheaper and besides, if people can't afford to go out, have takeaways etc, I suggest to you that this would be good for Netflix and the other streamers. People have got to have some pleasures in life.

The other point I'd make is that regardless of the virus and its after effects, Netflix has created a systemic change in the media industry forever. Which as I keep saying, is why Murdoch sold out, as he knew he could not compete in the new streaming age with gigantic tech giants with deep pockets.

My point - not specific to Netflix but the wider streaming industry - was that the hype and market valuations have no link to the underlying business models. The article goes on to say this is a staple of the technology sector just try not to be the last guy holding the shares when it all goes under.

Quote:

When every customer loses you money, it’s not good news for your business if customer numbers stay solid or even increase, unless there’s someone else who believes that’s a good thing. What these companies rely on is telling a story – largely to people who will invest in them. Their narrative is they’re “disrupting” existing industries, will build huge market share and customer bases, and thus can’t help but eventually become hugely profitable – just not yet.
“Deep pockets” are no substitute for an underlying profitable business model.

I do agree with you that being a cheap affordable luxury means the virus doesn’t present a risk to streaming services in itself. Pay-tv (the market that streaming is part of) wasn’t hit in 2008.

Legendkiller2k 04-05-2020 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36033853)
All4 without the ads would be good.

You can have all4 without ads for a small monthly fee.

OLD BOY 04-05-2020 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36033881)
You can have all4 without ads for a small monthly fee.

I know, it's called All4+ I believe. I would like VM to provide the ITV Hub, All4 and My5 all free of ads, the price being absorbed within the top package.

jfman 04-05-2020 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36033883)
I know, it's called All4+ I believe. I would like VM to provide the ITV Hub, All4 and My5 all free of ads, the price being absorbed within the top package.

Something that’d cost Virgin hundreds of millions of pounds per year and bring no additional content to the party.

Legendkiller2k 04-05-2020 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36033883)

VM are not going to get everything LG do not have bottomless pockets, even on SKY MY5, ALL4 has ads.

Phunkenstein 04-05-2020 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36033898)
VM are not going to get everything LG do not have bottomless pockets, even on SKY MY5, ALL4 has ads.

And even those deals outside of ad supported catch-up tv are for a small (in the case of Ch5) or rotating (in the case of CH4) library of 'box set' content, not the whole shebang - as jfman states, it would cost an extraordinary amount especially if the three PSBs are willing to give up potentially lucrative ad revenue they could likely get from the free apps. If catalogue content is such an issue, Virgin would be better off trying to bundle something like Britbox... it provides the service with a lot of content that people may want to watch and would help Britbox scale.