Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Hamas Israel War (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33712196)

nomadking 09-10-2023 10:28

Re: Hamas terrorists invade Israel, kill civilians and take hostages

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 36161580)
Explain

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

Gaza is effectively part of Israel. Looking through the lens of Ultra-Zionism, I guess it makes sense to want the to ship some of the Palestinians to Egypt. However, Egypt is not Palestine.

Ultra-Zionism is an often religiously motivated movement to extend the State of Israel to subsume the Palestinian territories, aligning with a perceived goal of reclaiming the "Promised Land" of the Old Testament.

The Palestinian Authority seeks the West Bank as the heartland of a future independent state and so the current Likud administration, the most hard-line for years, is actively countering this:

Netanyahu government makes West Bank settlement expansion its priority

Any expansion of Gaza would have to come from Egypt. Israel can't be blamed for Gaza's geographical location.

jfman 09-10-2023 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36161587)
Any expansion of Gaza would have to come from Egypt. Israel can't be blamed for Gaza's geographical location.

Israel can absolutely be blamed for it’s location and expansion. They aren’t some passive actor, or a victim of chance, when they seize Palestinian land to give it to Israeli settlers.

ianch99 09-10-2023 11:04

Quote:

You really know very little about this subject.

Hugh 09-10-2023 11:30

Quote:

You may find this informative

https://www.britannica.com/place/Gaza-Strip

jfman 09-10-2023 11:54

That’s the Israelis onto air strikes on refugee camps taking in the Palestinians fleeing their homes.

I presume the “you must condemn Hamas before you can speak of Israeli war crimes” brigade will be out any minute now to unequivocally condemn this.

ianch99 09-10-2023 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161594)
That’s the Israelis onto air strikes on refugee camps taking in the Palestinians fleeing their homes.

I presume the “you must condemn Hamas before you can speak of Israeli war crimes” brigade will be out any minute now to unequivocally condemn this.

Don't hold your breath. Only actions against Israel seem to have a mandate for condemnation.

Hugh 09-10-2023 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161594)

The deliberate targeting of civilians by any military force should be condemned.

I look forward to your condemnation of the same…

jfman 09-10-2023 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36161598)
The deliberate targeting of civilians by any military force should be condemned.

“Any military force” sounds a bit Corbyny to me.

Maggy 09-10-2023 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36161598)

Exactly! How about we look around the world and see just how many powder keg situations exist at present that both east, west,north and south are covering their ears and eyes to. How many people on both sides of any of those situations are desperate for those in charge to just shut the f*** up and start to looking at finding ways to make peace.

noel43 09-10-2023 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36161469)
terrorists?

BBC calls them militants.

Sky calls them Hamas fighters as well as militants.

What people forget is Israel is an occupying force, . Build settlements in occupied land, which is against international law. Would you fight if England was occupied or just let them get on with the occupation. Reason Britain or usa will not complain of this, is the Jewish vote in both countries.

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by noel43 (Post 36161601)
What people forget is Israel is an occupying force, . Build settlements in occupied land, which is against international law. Would you fight if England was occupied or just let them get on with the occupation. Reason Britain or usa will not complain of this, is the Jewish vote in both countries.

Ms NTL 09-10-2023 15:38

@noel43

I agree with you but I don't participate in this thread. Chris's thread title is bigoted, no major non-Israeli news organization call Hamas terrorists.

Sephiroth 09-10-2023 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36161579)
Gaza is reliant on Israel because of it's geographical location and it seems to be overcrowded. Not a lot of scope to build an economy, unless Egypt is going to hand over some territory.

…. or take Gaza back.

Paul 09-10-2023 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ms NTL (Post 36161608)
I agree with you but I don't participate in this thread.

and yet you just did ... :erm:

Quote:

no major non-Israeli news organization call Hamas terrorists.

Hamas is designated as a terrorist group by the UK [and the EU] as well as the USA.

In fact, by Australia, Canada, European Union, Israel, Japan, Organization of American States, Paraguay, United Kingdom, United States

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas

(The EU and OAS is over 50 countries in total)

jfman 09-10-2023 16:07

Quote:

@noel43

I agree with you but I don't participate in this thread. Chris's thread title is bigoted, no major non-Israeli news organization call Hamas terrorists.

Well his bias permeates almost every post he makes on the subject you can’t really exempt a thread title. He’s not had much to say about his hypothetical Russian link in the OP, and even less to say about arms from Ukraine turning up in the Middle East.

However it’s important to challenge where people seek to censor opposing thought through their use of language - such as the obligation to criticise Hamas before being permitted to criticise Israel. They’ll criticise opponents for playing the “both sides” card yet are unable (or unwilling) to criticise Israeli actions on their own merit when they are the most egregious breaches of international law and condemned universally by human rights organisations.

Conflating criticism of Israel with antisemitism another classic of the genre.

Hugh 09-10-2023 16:15

It is possible to criticise both sides - you should try it…

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 16:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36161599)
“Any military force” sounds a bit Corbyny to me.

If that’s your default viewpoint, most things would… ;)