Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

ozsat 06-05-2023 18:46

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Yes - this is the fourth week of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36151373)
I have not seen this being reported on the web:

My TiVo says Sky Sports Action are broadcasting United States Football League (USFL) live every weekend.

Gavin-D 20-05-2023 09:45

Jake Humphrey will leave BT Sport on June 10th ahead of its rebrand to TNT Sports.

Laura Woods is rumoured to be lined up to become the main face of TNT Sports.

OLD BOY 20-05-2023 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36151290)
It will happen one day.;)

Why would you doubt it, Den?

jfman 20-05-2023 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36152260)
Why would you doubt it, Den?

Come on OB, it's Saturday night and we've all done this before.

The most obvious doubt is that constantly, time and again, when meaningful rights come up in the UK the "deep pockets" streamers are nowhere to be seen.

The EFL rights represented a huge opportunity to pin down week in, week out content. Over a thousand games per year for five years. Rights that would coincide with both the next Premier League and Champions League windows.

Yet Sky triumphed once again.

Hugh 20-05-2023 22:44

You just have to "believe"…

OLD BOY 21-05-2023 02:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36152267)
Come on OB, it's Saturday night and we've all done this before.

The most obvious doubt is that constantly, time and again, when meaningful rights come up in the UK the "deep pockets" streamers are nowhere to be seen.

The EFL rights represented a huge opportunity to pin down week in, week out content. Over a thousand games per year for five years. Rights that would coincide with both the next Premier League and Champions League windows.

Yet Sky triumphed once again.

Now, not next...

denphone 21-05-2023 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36152280)
Now, not next...

l thought next was in 2035 or is that another one of your proclaimed dates.

jfman 21-05-2023 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36152280)
Now, not next...

You’ve been saying that for the last 3 rounds of bidding for all major rights.

“This time next year we will be millionaires” as Del Boy used to say.

OLD BOY 21-05-2023 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36152289)
You’ve been saying that for the last 3 rounds of bidding for all major rights.

“This time next year we will be millionaires” as Del Boy used to say.

Maybe I was a little too cryptic. I meant that you keep talking about the present when I am clearly talking about the future. But as you say, this argument has been done to death. Response not necessary.

Hugh 21-05-2023 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36152296)
Maybe I was a little too cryptic. I meant that you keep talking about the present when I am clearly talking about the future. But as you say, this argument has been done to death. Response not necessary.

But the previous times you’ve made this forecast were in the past, so the present is those previously forecasts future…

jfman 22-05-2023 20:56

Deep pockets DAZN have made a swoop for the majority of games in the Champions League… the Women’s Champion League.

1andrew1 22-05-2023 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36152450)
Deep pockets DAZN have made a swoop for the majority of games in the Champions League… the Women’s Champion League.

Don't do that to me! My heart's not as strong as it once was! :D

ozsat 28-05-2023 07:38

So Eurosport 4K is back for two weeks on channel 523.

Sky viewers will get it but not day 1 which never appears on Sky.

Seems BT - now Warner Bros - customers will not be providing the channel to thier own customers.

1andrew1 28-05-2023 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36152873)
So Eurosport 4K is back for two weeks on channel 523.

Sky viewers will get it but not day 1 which never appears on Sky.

Seems BT - now Warner Bros - customers will not be providing the channel to thier own customers.

BT TV is still part of BT Group. It's BT Sport which is now part of the joint venture with Warner Bros Discovery.

ozsat 28-05-2023 10:52

And provide the Eurosport channels and Discovery+ at no additional cost to their customers.

It could be added to BT Sports app or Discovey+ app - but no.

There is a trailer on the Discovery+ app announcing that TNT Sports will soon be added.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36152875)
BT TV is still part of BT Group. It's BT Sport which is now part of the joint venture with Warner Bros Discovery.

Gavin-D 30-05-2023 19:27

The Champions League, Europa League and Europa Conference League finals will all be free to air on the BT Sport YouTube channel and app

Virgin Media customers can get free access via channel 532 on Tivo, 360 and stream

May 31st Sevilla v Roma
June 7th West Ham v Fiorentina
June 10th Manchester City v Inter Milan

Media Boy UK 30-05-2023 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 36153039)
The Champions League, Europa League and Europa Conference League finals will all be free to air on the BT Sport YouTube channel and app

Virgin Media customers can get free access via channel 532 on Tivo, 360 and stream

May 31st Sevilla v Roma
June 7th West Ham v Fiorentina
June 10th Manchester City v Inter Milan

It been reported yesterday due to Sky Sports Main Event UHD broadcasting on Virgin Channel 532.

This years UEFA Finals will be shown in HD for everyone on Channel 524.

epsilon 31-05-2023 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36153040)
It been reported yesterday due to Sky Sports Main Event UHD broadcasting on Virgin Channel 532.

This years UEFA Finals will be shown in HD for everyone on Channel 524.

Funny how the broadcast news aggregator web sites are stating that this service will be on Virgin TV channel 532, even after it has appeared on channel 524. It's almost like they don't do any fact checking.

Inactive Digital 31-05-2023 22:44

VM clearly unable to react to extra time tonight - at 10.30pm the match was replaced with either a slate or caption on the pop up channel with 10 mins of extra time still remaining.

epsilon 01-06-2023 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 36153107)
VM clearly unable to react to extra time tonight - at 10.30pm the match was replaced with either a slate or caption on the pop up channel with 10 mins of extra time still remaining.

Ouch! that's not very good.

Itshim 02-06-2023 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by epsilon (Post 36153110)
Ouch! that's not very good.

And you are surprised,:(

epsilon 04-06-2023 01:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36153204)
And you are surprised,:(

I didn't say I was surprised..

1andrew1 05-06-2023 14:56

Those who uncritically soak up the spin of Silicon Valley streaming sports should skip the penultimate paragraph.
Quote:

Premier League’s pay-TV model is on borrowed time

The first tender for broadcast rights in six years will test demand as costs for UK consumers have continued to soar

...Germany’s Bundesliga and Serie A in Italy have both raised the prospect of launching their own streaming services to deliver games directly to consumers, something Spain’s La Liga already does for UK-based viewers.

A big test of where things stand will come later this year, when the Premier League tenders domestic broadcast rights for the first time in six years. Ligue 1 in France and Serie A will also hold TV auctions.

Hopes that Silicon Valley’s streaming platforms will come to the rescue with big offers seem disconnected from the realities of a chastened tech industry. Pay TV companies are in retrenchment mode.

The captains of the football industry need to think big if they are to keep the pirates at bay.
https://www.ft.com/content/26833e1b-...7-6049b37375bf

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:49 ----------

Is Viaplay viable?
Quote:

Swedish streamer Viaplay ousts chief and issues profit warning

Shares in company styled as rival to Netflix and known for Nordic drama plunge by more than 60%

Swedish streaming service Viaplay has ousted its chief executive, warned of a loss this quarter and scrapped its forecasts, sending shares in the group that bet heavily on a mix of football and Nordic noir drama down by more than 60 per cent.

It bought expensive sporting rights — something US streaming services such as Netflix and HBO Max have avoided — with the aim of sparking international growth.

Analysts said the shares could find a floor if the market valued Viaplay’s business outside its home market — where it has expanded into the Netherlands, Poland, UK, US and the Baltics in the expectation of big growth — at zero.
https://www.ft.com/content/a899e14a-...7-69b961586f45
Company's own statement seems to be reproduced in this article: https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2023...-hits-viaplay/

jfman 05-06-2023 21:04

Explains the constant Viaplay for £59 offer floating around (12 months).

vincerooney 06-06-2023 02:41

do we know if virgin media will have the rights still to BT Sports/TNT Sports next year? is TNT sports a "new" company technically? how long is the existing vm/bt sports contract?

1701-e 06-06-2023 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36153335)
do we know if virgin media will have the rights still to BT Sports/TNT Sports next year? is TNT sports a "new" company technically? how long is the existing vm/bt sports contract?

Current contract applies. Even some of the BT adverts about the changes state that the channels remain where they are.

Gavin-D 06-06-2023 11:26

Virgin Media are currently offering Sky Sports UHD on an introductory price of £3 a month for 18 months until June 25th

1701-e 06-06-2023 12:36

Just got an email offering Sky sports uhd free for three months and £7 per month after. Cancel anytime.

jfman 06-06-2023 17:02

A big opportunity presents itself for the plucky upstart, deep pocket streamers as the PGA Tour, European Tour and LIV Golf plan a merger.

One could buy worldwide rights for the whole extravaganza and have almost weekly content in prime time in almost every time zone. Then offer it half price for 12 months when nobody buys it.

Mad Max 06-06-2023 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1701-e (Post 36153340)
Just got an email offering Sky sports uhd free for three months and £7 per month after. Cancel anytime.

They can friggin ram it!

McQueen 08-06-2023 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36153350)
They can friggin ram it!

Oh dear! I thought it was quite a good deal. Is there any reason why I shouldn't take it?

Dave42 08-06-2023 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by McQueen (Post 36153404)
Oh dear! I thought it was quite a good deal. Is there any reason why I shouldn't take it?

no reason at all the picture quality is very very good indeed with HDR too

jfman 08-06-2023 15:33

I suspect Max - like many sports fans - is disgruntled by the ever increasing prices across an ever increasing range of sports broadcasters.

Paul LFC 09-06-2023 22:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 36153338)
Virgin Media are currently offering Sky Sports UHD on an introductory price of £3 a month for 18 months until June 25th

Do you have a link to or screenshot of this please? I subscribed a few days ago and was charged £7 a month.

Mad Max 11-06-2023 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36153408)
I suspect Max - like many sports fans - is disgruntled by the ever increasing prices across an ever increasing range of sports broadcasters.

Spot on, jfman, spot on, it really angers me when I see the amount of cash some of these football players get, it's obscene imo.

1andrew1 11-06-2023 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36153561)
Spot on, jfman, spot on, it really angers me when I see the amount of cash some of these football players get, it's obscene imo.

It's a reverse Robin Hood!

Itshim 12-06-2023 14:38

Quote:

So don't take up any sports channels , if people stopped the price will crash , it easy as that , not that it will happen :erm:

denphone 12-06-2023 15:46

Quote:

Thats the free market for you unless one brings in a salary wage cap which would not even get past the first hurdle legally.

jfman 12-06-2023 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36153617)
Thats the free market for you unless one brings in a salary wage cap which would not even get past the first hurdle legally.

It’s not a free market at our end though. It’s a cartel.

Gavin-D 12-06-2023 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul LFC (Post 36153471)
Do you have a link to or screenshot of this please? I subscribed a few days ago and was charged £7 a month.

They were sending emails out if you're not subscribed to them, you won't have had the link to follow

denphone 12-06-2023 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36153621)
It’s not a free market at our end though. It’s a cartel.

Indeed and nowt is likely to change that.

Paul LFC 12-06-2023 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 36153622)
They were sending emails out if you're not subscribed to them, you won't have had the link to follow

Ah I see, thanks.

OLD BOY 12-06-2023 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36153615)
So don't take up any sports channels , if people stopped the price will crash , it easy as that , not that it will happen :erm:

Well, it won’t happen, will it? Sport is like a drug for a large section of the population.

vincerooney 13-06-2023 00:54

I see the exclusive window for NBC and FOX to re-negotiate with WWE is over. Rumours that Amazon and now Disney will join discussions. If Disney gets it then it would be the network possibly moving to Disney+ eventually with weekly shows on FX.

Still NBC and FOX are favourites to keep the shows but i wouldnt mind disney plus getting it! even though this is in the USA i'd assume Disney would be keen to have the rights in other countries too

1andrew1 13-06-2023 04:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36153649)
I see the exclusive window for NBC and FOX to re-negotiate with WWE is over. Rumours that Amazon and now Disney will join discussions. If Disney gets it then it would be the network possibly moving to Disney+ eventually with weekly shows on FX.

Still NBC and FOX are favourites to keep the shows but i wouldnt mind disney plus getting it! even though this is in the USA i'd assume Disney would be keen to have the rights in other countries too

Disney doesn't have a sports presence in the UK so I doubt they would be interested in UK rights.

ozsat 13-06-2023 05:24

Sky would still have the 4 week exclusive for Raw and smackDown until they have to agree again.

There is a ESPN Player for the Europe (including the UK). It costs £9.99pm for very little 'premium' live coverage - but has five streaming channels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36153652)
Disney doesn't have a sports presence in the UK so I doubt they would be interested in UK rights.

Itshim 13-06-2023 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36153635)
Well, it won’t happen, will it? Sport is like a drug for a large section of the population.

Sorry thought was my last line :confused:

1andrew1 13-06-2023 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36153653)
Sky would still have the 4 week exclusive for Raw and smackDown until they have to agree again.

There is a ESPN Player for the Europe (including the UK). It costs £9.99pm for very little 'premium' live coverage - but has five streaming channels.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

OLD BOY 13-06-2023 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itshim (Post 36153677)
Sorry thought was my last line :confused:

Yes, Itshim, I was agreeing with you!!

Itshim 13-06-2023 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36153692)
Yes, Itshim, I was agreeing with you!!

Sorry was not expecting that :D

TimeLord2018 14-06-2023 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 36152220)
Jake Humphrey will leave BT Sport on June 10th ahead of its rebrand to TNT Sports.

Laura Woods is rumoured to be lined up to become the main face of TNT Sports.

She is leaving Talksport at the end of this month presumably to take the TNT job.

Gavin-D 17-06-2023 09:40

Martin Tyler is leaving Sky Sports after 33 years.

Media Boy UK 17-06-2023 13:17

Sky Sports AXE half of their football reporting team

*Soccer Saturday maybe next to be drop by Sky Sports
*But all 11 channels to stay on air

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ting-move.html

jfman 17-06-2023 13:52

And here I thought they'd save megabucks just closing one linear channel.

Gavin-D 18-06-2023 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 36154017)
Martin Tyler is leaving Sky Sports after 33 years.

Peter Drury will replace Martin Tyler on Sky Sports to cover the Premier League from the 2023/24 season

denphone 18-06-2023 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 36154068)
Peter Drury will replace Martin Tyler on Sky Sports to cover the Premier League from the 2023/24 season

l suspect Tyler was pushed rather then quit at his own accord.

TimeLord2018 18-06-2023 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36154024)
Sky Sports AXE half of their football reporting team

*Soccer Saturday maybe next to be drop by Sky Sports
*But all 11 channels to stay on air

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ting-move.html

Apparently Martin Tyler contract wasn't renewed

nialli 18-06-2023 12:40

Martin's 77 years old so it's doubtful he'd have wanted to continue much longer

denphone 18-06-2023 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36154072)
Martin's 77 years old so it's doubtful he'd have wanted to continue much longer

Don Maskell, Murray Walker and Peter O'Sullivan continued well into their 80s.

jfman 18-06-2023 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36154074)
Don Maskell, Murray Walkerand Peter O'Sullivan continued well into their 80s.

A legend!

Time will tell as Martin Tyler frequently does the international feeds for the Premier League and Champions League so it won’t be too hard to work out if he’s working less or whether he takes on more of those games.

1andrew1 20-06-2023 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36154070)
Apparently Martin Tyler contract wasn't renewed

Perhaps it's a money-saving thing resulting from the merger, so NBC and Sky don't have separate commentators?
Quote:

Tyler’s replacement is 55-year-old Peter Drury, who has commentated for the BBC, ITV, BT Sport and Premier League Productions. He already provides Premier League commentaries for NBC, controlled by Comcast, which also owns Sky.
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2023...ts-microphone/

Dave42 20-06-2023 16:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36154069)
l suspect Tyler was pushed rather then quit at his own accord.

think your right Den

Gavin-D 22-06-2023 09:15

Jeff Stelling is in talks with Amazon and BBC Radio 5 Live following his departure from Sky Sports.

Amazon will start to show the Champions League for 3 years from Autumn 2024 alongside TNT Sports which would see Jeff lead the coverage if they came to an agreement

TimeLord2018 22-06-2023 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 36154272)
think your right Den

It appears the same applies to Graeme Souness
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...ports-27109318

1andrew1 02-07-2023 08:43

The last package structure which was rolled over for another three years was aimed at getting a streamer on board with a mini package of 20 games. Amazon picked it up for a bargain price so they've given up on that unpopular idea. Back to just two live broadcasters I reckon - Sky and TNT.

As to how much they'll get is anyone's guess. More games but will Sky and TNT want to splash out significantly more than they do at the moment? Both broadcasters are currently in cost-cutting mode. Sky will have the ability to share some coverage with its sister channel NBC Sport so extra games should increase its costs less than extra games for TNT will.
Quote:

EVERY Sunday Premier League game will be on live TV from the season after next as the number of televised fixtures increases from 200 to 270 - but fans face midday and 7pm kick-offs at weekends
  • The number of Friday and Monday evening matches will increase as per changes
  • Premier League eager to attract higher offers from broadcasters in next tender
  • Europa League clubs stand to gain around £1million per Sunday match shown

Mail Sport has learned that as part of a planned increase in the number of live games shown each season from 200 to 270 all Sunday matches could be available by the start of the 2024-25 campaign, which is likely to lead to fans being forced to adapt to a variety of kick-off times throughout the day, from midday until 7pm.

The Premier League will also increase the number of Friday and Monday evening TV slots from the 2024-25 season in a bid to attract higher offers from broadcasters in an auction that is due to take place this autumn.

The number of TV packages available is expected to be cut when the tender document is issued in October, with each package containing more matches and with the mini-package of 20 games currently held by Amazon Prime disappearing entirely.

The top-flight's current domestic TV deal is worth £5billion over three years after the previous contract agreed in 2018 was extended without an auction during the pandemic.

The Premier League are hopeful of securing a significant increase for the 2024 to 2027 cycle, particularly as more games will be on offer.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...nday-game.html

jfman 02-07-2023 10:18

Time for the deep pockets streamers to put up or shut up.

1andrew1 02-07-2023 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36155093)

With Warner Brothers Discovery over-burdened by debt and Sky Sports cutting costs, plus Openreach, the altnets and VMO2 rolling out Gb fibre like it's going out of fashion, now is definitely the best time for streamers like DAZN to step up or risk never being taken seriously.

denphone 02-07-2023 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36155093)

l think you know the answer to that.;)

---------- Post added at 12:42 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36155100)
With Warner Brothers Discovery over-burdened by debt and Sky Sports cutting costs, plus Openreach, the altnets and VMO2 rolling out Gb fibre like it's going out of fashion, now is definitely the best time for streamers like DAZN to step up or risk never being taken seriously.

All companies are cutting their costs given the higher cost of doing things , the key is not passing on the full costs to their customers.

TimeLord2018 04-07-2023 10:33

'Geoff Shreeves quits Sky Sports after 32 years
[https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...ports-30384466

Turned down the reported pay cut then.

1andrew1 15-07-2023 10:36

Will be interesting to see what Viaplay decides about its UK operation. I could envisage a sale to DAZN.
Quote:

Next Thursday 20th July, Viaplay is due to present an update on the company’s situation. This is expected to include a review of its international operations and cost-cutting measures.
https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/crunch-week-for-viaplay/

TimeLord2018 15-07-2023 10:48

Report: TNT Sports bids to oust Sky as Super League’s UK broadcast partner
UK rugby league top flight 'disappointed' by Sky’s offer to extend deal beyond 2023.
https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/...tv-rights-sky/

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36156243)
Will be interesting to see what Viaplay decides about its UK operation. I could envisage a sale to DAZN.

I wonder if WBD would be allowed to buy them or some kind of partnership perhaps integrated into Discovery+

1andrew1 15-07-2023 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36156245)
I wonder if WBD would be allowed to buy them or some kind of partnership perhaps integrated into Discovery+

I think the only objection might come from the rights holders who might seek to take back control of their rights in the event of a change of ownership. I don't think the competition authorities would be too concerned as most sports fans' complaints are that there are too many sports services, not too few.

However, would it be financially worthwhile for WBD? I doubt it. The only interested buyers I can envisage are DAZN and at a pinch, the previous owners of Premier Sports.

Aguero9320 15-07-2023 11:29

Rumours are that Disney are interested in returning to the UK sports scene. ESPN are reportedly after a Premier League contract and were linked to BT Sport before WBD swooped.

Media Boy UK 15-07-2023 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aguero9320 (Post 36156250)
Rumours are that Disney are interested in returning to the UK sports scene. ESPN are reportedly after a Premier League contract and were linked to BT Sport before WBD swooped.

They are

Quote:

Wells Fargo analyst Steven Cahall wrote Thursday that selling the linear assets would improve Disney’s CAGR (which looks at the growth rate of a company) to more than 20 percent. The ABC Network, its local stations, FX, Freeform and Disney’s 50 percent stake in A+E Networks are all seen by Cahall as up for grabs.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...ss-1235535343/

TimeLord2018 15-07-2023 11:45

It's much complicated in the US , They can't just close them down like other countries.

Media Boy UK 15-07-2023 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36156249)
I think the only objection might come from the rights holders who might seek to take back control of their rights in the event of a change of ownership. I don't think the competition authorities would be too concerned as most sports fans' complaints are that there are too many sports services, not too few.

However, would it be financially worthwhile for WBD? I doubt it. The only interested buyers I can envisage are DAZN and at a pinch, the previous owners of Premier Sports.

Quote:

If Viaplay do axe the UK business I feel the media rights will go back to their holders then resold to a other broadcaster - Hope Scottish Cups rights goes to Sky Sports or TNT Sports

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36156253)
It's much complicated in the US , They can't just close them down like other countries.

Like OLDBOY would say LIVE TV broadcasting channels is on they way out so ever say ever.

Disney Mulls Selling Indian TV & Streaming Business

https://deadline.com/2023/07/disney-...ss-1235437059/

TimeLord2018 15-07-2023 11:49

Quote:

I wonder how much they paid for Premier Sports.

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36156254)
If Viaplay do axe the UK business I feel the media rights will go back to their holders then resold to a other broadcaster - Hope Scottish Cups rights goes to Sky Sports or TNT Sports

---------- Post added at 11:47 ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 ----------

Will they did in the UK.

Disney Mulls Selling Indian TV & Streaming Business

https://deadline.com/2023/07/disney-...ss-1235437059/

National Geographic and National Geographic Wild somehow still exist in the UK

Continue to close down channels in other channels

https://tbivision.com/2023/06/14/dis...n-south-korea/

I honestly can't see Disney buying linear channels in the UK, content is different , they continue to commission UK content for Disney+.

Media Boy UK 15-07-2023 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36156256)
I wonder how much they paid for Premier Sports.

£30m in cash.

https://advanced-television.com/2022...remier-sports/

1andrew1 15-07-2023 12:10

Quote:

I very much doubt it. As others have said, Disney is more of a seller of broadcast assets at the moment.

No harm in a Premier League club or two talking up the story to keep WBD and Comcast on their toes, though.

Media Boy UK 15-07-2023 22:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36156243)

Been thinking all day about this here is my own views on what may happen to Viaplay UK:

*Close Viaplay UK and give sports rights back to owners for them to resell rights.
*Axe Viaplay Sports UK Channels and move online only.
*Look into Selling Viaplay UK to BeIN Sports.
*Look into merge with TNT Sports or DAZN.

Gavin-D 18-07-2023 11:56

TNT Sports is also available via discoveryplus from today for £29.99p/m the pack includes all discovery contents plus the former BT Sport channels

https://get.discoveryplus.com/gb/wat...nner-subscribe

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

TNT Sports have appointed Laura Woods as lead presenter for its Champions League and boxing coverage, whilst Ally McCoist has also joined TNT Sports as co-commentator and a pundit for the Premier League and Champions League.

Jules Breach will take over as Europa League presenter

Lynsey Hipgrave will host the Premier League matches

jfman 18-07-2023 13:51

Quote:

I’d imagine if the UK operation is sold in full, with subscriber base, the contracts will be watertight enough that the rights move to the new owner.

With so many “deep pockets” streamers out there looking to develop their offerings it’d be foolish to not write up the possibility that a bigger player hoovers them up for the day in, day out content.

Obviously if they cease operating that’s a different kettle of fish.

Media Boy UK 18-07-2023 13:55

My sources has told me today Microsoft are looking into enter the TV market and have their eyes on DAZN and Netflix.

1andrew1 19-07-2023 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36156259)
I very much doubt it. As others have said, Disney is more of a seller of broadcast assets at the moment.

No harm in a Premier League club or two talking up the story to keep WBD and Comcast on their toes, though.

And to further rule out Disney, ESPN Player has announced it's closing down in the MENA region which includes the UK.
https://www.espnplayer.com/espnplayer/help.jsp

TimeLord2018 19-07-2023 22:06

Not suprised by the closure, they can add the content to Disney+

There is some ESPN Documentaries on there, Apparently a new ESPN event link was added to the Disney+ sitemap a while back.

No mention of UK broadcaster for NCAA , No sign of any ESPN branded programming on TNT Sports in the next 2 weeks, has the deal ended/not been renewed?

Media Boy UK 20-07-2023 07:11

Viaplay confirmed that they are looking to sell, merge or close their UK network.

https://www.viaplaygroup.com/sites/d...ion_q22023.pdf

See bit 16 on link.

1andrew1 20-07-2023 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36156652)
Viaplay confirmed that they are looking to sell, merge or close their UK network.

https://www.viaplaygroup.com/sites/d...ion_q22023.pdf

See bit 16 on link.

Thanks. No real surprise there.
As an initial step, Viaplay will end its non-sport subscriptions in its international markets and wholesale that content.

jfman 20-07-2023 08:46

Can add them to the graveyard failed sports briadcasters soon enough then.

It's easy though :)

denphone 20-07-2023 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36156659)
Can add them to the graveyard failed sports briadcasters soon enough then.

It's easy though :)

Many seem to go the way of Setanta.

epsilon 20-07-2023 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36156668)
Many seem to go the way of Setanta.

In theory it is Setanta. Setanta lived on in Ireland until, eventually brought back to the UK as Premier Sports which Viaplay subsequently bought. So yeah. The legend continues, what will unfold in the next chapter?

jfman 20-07-2023 11:30

Share price down 40% when the stock exchange opened.

A “deep pockets” streamer could snap them up for free soon. Cheap enough for them all, just no business model!

1andrew1 20-07-2023 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36156687)

A “deep pockets” streamer could snap them up for free soon. Cheap enough for them all, just no business model!

BT Sport was loss-making when it merged with WBD. I'm not convinced the combined business will become profitable either.

jfman 20-07-2023 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36156689)
BT Sport was loss-making when it merged with WBD. I'm not convinced the combined business will become profitable either.

It’s hard to tell with BTS - although obviously a paper loss it was likely a loss leader for broadband sales and BT retail have captured a fair chunk of that market.

The problem for any standalone streamer is they’ve nothing else to sell along with it.

1andrew1 20-07-2023 13:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36156695)
It’s hard to tell with BTS - although obviously a paper loss it was likely a loss leader for broadband sales and BT retail have captured a fair chunk of that market.

The problem for any standalone streamer is they’ve nothing else to sell along with it.

Agreed. It doubtless served its purpose.

If WBD decide to go head-to-head with Sky and offer Max then I guess that's one upsell opportunity for them. However, given WBD's debts, I suspect it will be tempted to take Sky's money. At which point TNT Sports will start to look like an expensive mistake and heads will roll.

TimeLord2018 20-07-2023 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36156710)
Agreed. It doubtless served its purpose.

If WBD decide to go head-to-head with Sky and offer Max then I guess that's one upsell opportunity for them. However, given WBD's debts, I suspect it will be tempted to take Sky's money. At which point TNT Sports will start to look like an expensive mistake and heads will roll.

I suspect they will do a bit of both.

jfman 20-07-2023 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36156687)

First to the bargain bucket Canal+, who have taken a 12% stake. The amount isn’t disclosed. Another opportunity missed for those streamers that I keep reading are imminently going to take over the market.

vincerooney 21-07-2023 00:05

La Liga really messed up moving away from sky sports...theyre now looking for their third new home since then?

1andrew1 21-07-2023 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36156780)
La Liga really messed up moving away from sky sports...theyre now looking for their third new home since then?

Eleven Sports, Premier Sports, Viaplay, TBA...must be hard for them to keep track!

TimeLord2018 21-07-2023 08:22

Premier Sports still exists in Ireland, I wonder if they might buy back the UK channels for less what than they sold them for.

SnoopZ 21-07-2023 11:49

Help me out here, I'm at my parents house they don't have Sky but they are able to watch The Open live on Sky Sports YouTube channel, is there some sort of a free live feed or something?