Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705369)

daveeb 01-12-2017 22:24

Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35927190)
Surprised no one has mentioned the net immigration figures released today, wonder why :scratch:

Yes as reported on BBC news so presumably has no credibility in these parts ;)

Mick 01-12-2017 22:27

BBC have only just released the figures today ?

They talked about net migration on Sky News yesterday..

It's come down but IMO it is still too high, 230,000 still coming here to a country with a severe housing shortage... Services stretched to the limit...

denphone 02-12-2017 05:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927208)
BBC have only just released the figures today ?

They talked about net migration on Sky News yesterday..

It's come down but IMO it is still too high, 230,000 still coming here to a country with a severe housing shortage... Services stretched to the limit...

l agree it is to high but don't think for one moment that reducing this significantly will be the great panacea that ends all our ills as many of these problems stem from before there was a influx of migrants and those problems will still exist after Johnny Foreigner has long gone home.

OLD BOY 02-12-2017 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35927217)
l agree it is to high but don't think for one moment that reducing this significantly will be the great panacea that ends all our ills as many of these problems stem from before there was a influx of migrants and those problems will still exist after Johnny Foreigner has long gone home.

I don't think you can deny that a significant net reduction in immigration figures will ease the burden on services and housing, Den. That is the point.

denphone 02-12-2017 10:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35927226)
I don't think you can deny that a significant net reduction in immigration figures will ease the burden on services and housing, Den. That is the point.

l somehow doubt it as there are many other significant factors involved that stretch our services then just blaming everything on good old Johnny Foreigner OB.

Damien 02-12-2017 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35927226)

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35927230)
l somehow doubt it as there are many other significant factors involved that stretch our services then just blaming everything on good old Johnny Foreigner OB.

Evidence suggests immigration is a minor burden on the NHS compared to other factors: https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-immig...elated_content

Mick 02-12-2017 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35927230)

We cannot sustain over 200,000 people coming here each year Den. You forget we are a tiny island with severely limited housing and resources.

Several rented houses, on my road have been taken up by unskilled Romanians who do not work. They constantly argue, fight with each other, are up all times of the night. They don’t integrate and to put it bluntly, some are absolute scavengers, watched 3 of them other week look over peoples walls and go through peoples bins etc, looking for any scraps of metal they can find.

Do we really want open borders to unskilled migrants who just come here to ride the benefits gravy train and steal and rob from our own citizens?

1andrew1 02-12-2017 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35927231)
Evidence suggests immigration is a minor burden on the NHS compared to other factors: https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-immig...elated_content

Brexit is all about emotion and not facts. You'll never win a discussion with a Brexiter on facts and evidence alone, I'm afraid.

Mick 02-12-2017 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35927235)
Brexit is all about emotion and not facts. You'll never win a discussion with a Brexiter on facts and evidence alone, I'm afraid.

You have not been right on a lot of things Andrew, so you got no room to talk, at all. :rolleyes:

Mostly what keeps being said would happen, hasn’t happened or is just fear mongering BS.

denphone 02-12-2017 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927233)
We cannot sustain over 200,000 people coming here each year Den. You forget we are a tiny island with severely limited housing and resources.

But even if they went tomorrow many of our problems would still exist unless you think otherwise?.

Osem 02-12-2017 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927239)
You have not been right on a lot of things Andrew, so you got no room to talk, at all. :rolleyes:

Mostly what keeps being said would happen, hasn’t happened or is just fear mongering BS.

:tu:

Not to mention some serious stereotyping. Talk about hypocrisy...

denphone 02-12-2017 11:26

Quote:

Several rented houses, on my road have been taken up by unskilled Romanians who do not work. They constantly argue, fight with each other, are up all times of the night. They don’t integrate and to put it bluntly, some are absolute scavengers, watched 3 of them other week look over peoples walls and go through peoples bins etc, looking for any scraps of metal they can find.

They are a small troublesome minority and as such should not be allowed in Mick as the majority of migrants who come in this country are skilled hardworking citizens who add to this country by working for many important services so l am sure you would not want them to go as well as without them our staff shortages would be even more severe then they already are..

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

Quote:

Do we really want open borders to unskilled migrants who just come here to ride the benefits gravy train and steal and rob from our own citizens?

Of course not but they are a very small minority who should have not been let in to start with as the vast majority of migrants who come in are skilled and hardworking and are of a benefit to this country unless you don't them in either?.

Mick 02-12-2017 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35927243)

Of course not but they are a very small minority who should have not been let in to start with as the vast majority of migrants who come in are skilled and hardworking and are of a benefit to this country unless you don't them in either?.

That’s out of order Den, I did not say that! :mad:

denphone 02-12-2017 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927248)
That’s out of order Den, I did not say that! :mad:

l never said you did Mick as like many you can see the benefits of skilled hardworking migrants coming into this country.:)

TheDaddy 03-12-2017 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35927231)

It's obvious they aren't a major burden to the nhs, most are fit, young and healthy at least

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35927243)
They are a small troublesome minority and as such should not be allowed in Mick as the majority of migrants who come in this country areskilled hardworking citizens who add to this country by working for many important services so l am sure you would not want them to go as well as without them our staff shortages would be even more severe then they already are..

---------- Post added at 11:26 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

I despute that, especially when talking about eastern European workers and I dispute the hard working bit to actually, I'm not saying they're lazy but I've never met one who works harder than me and I don't describe myself as any thing special when it comes to working hard, it's a bit of a bug bear for me the way we do our own workforce down especially in the early days when they forced wages down so much pretty much any lowish skilled job became minimum wage and also ignoring the fact their living costs were much lower. That said I had noticed a marked change amongst my eastern European workmates over the last three or four years, they were not quite so happy to do three hundred hour month's or live 5 to a house.

jonbxx 03-12-2017 15:14

Talent is talent wherever they t comes from. I work with a European Customer service team as part of my job and I would say that the 60+ EU born workers are amazing.

Interestingly, one of the managers in that team is Hungarian and her 18 year old brother came over to the UK to improve his English. He has never been out of a job. If he didn’t like a job, he quit and got another one in days, if not hours. All minimum wage of course. His impression of British 18 year old workers is not good. The sense of entitilement astonished him.

heero_yuy 03-12-2017 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 35927334)
His impression of British 18 year old workers is not good. The sense of entitilement astonished him.

Blame the schools and parents for that: "You can be anything you want to be" tosh. If you're as thick as two planks you'll only be fit to stack the shelves at Sainsbury's not a brain surgeon.

Osem 03-12-2017 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 35927334)
Talent is talent wherever they t comes from. I work with a European Customer service team as part of my job and I would say that the 60+ EU born workers are amazing.

Interestingly, one of the managers in that team is Hungarian and her 18 year old brother came over to the UK to improve his English. He has never been out of a job. If he didn’t like a job, he quit and got another one in days, if not hours. All minimum wage of course. His impression of British 18 year old workers is not good. The sense of entitilement astonished him.

Well by definition you're seeing the highly motivated ones who've bothered to come to the UK for work not the rest. What's more a few years of living here and adjusting to all that 'entitlement' can have exactly the same effect on migrants as it does on our own who've grown up with that expectation. Anyone coming here from poorer countries is bound to perceive things as being far easier here than back home and the children of migrants who're born here are likely to have exactly the same expectations as those born of British parents.

jonbxx 03-12-2017 17:51

You means these immigrants are integrating in to the British way of life?

It does go to show how each persons perceptions of immigration vary depending on their experience. On the whole, most immigrants I have met have been sound. Normal people who just want to get on with their lives. Mick’s experience is different. Neither however is 100% correct.

I have been an immigrant myself, having worked in Germany, Sweden and the US. It’s tough moving to another country to work, especially if the language is different.

1andrew1 03-12-2017 21:17

One key issue that the two leave campaigns brushed away as Project Fear is now the major sticking point it was always predicted to be.
Quote:

Brexit timetable in jeopardy as Theresa May fails to reach deal on Irish border ahead of EU deadline
Theresa May will go into a crunch meeting with EU leaders on Monday admitting she is yet to find a solution to the Irish border problem, as a Cabinet minister suggested for the first time that Brexit might not happen.
Mrs May has until Monday night to meet an EU deadline for Britain to make “satisfactory progress” on the issues of money, citizens’ rights and the border in order to trigger trade talks this month.
She had hoped the meetings in Brussels with Jean-Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk would be the moment when trade talks would be unlocked, but Government sources were highly pessimistic about the prospect of a breakthrough, leaving the entire Brexit timetable in jeopardy.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ch-deal-irish/

Arthurgray50@blu 03-12-2017 21:55

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...cid=spartanntp

I would change my mind, as we have been lied to by MPs.
We were told that the money, that was being paid EACH WEEK to the EU would be spent on the NHS.
This has been exposed as full.
As we all know that this wont happen.
During all the crap that we were being told that the money that was being paid each week WOULD go to the NHS

It was on the side of the TORY bus.

This is why l voted OUT.

I have now changed my mind. We will end up paying BILLIONS if TM has her way.
This is why nothing much was mentioned in the budget. They need the money to pay for the EU divorce

1andrew1 03-12-2017 23:18

The Pound will react to the next stage of the negotiations.
Quote:

Sterling investors on a knife-edge ahead of key Brussels talks
Investors are ready to rally behind the British pound and push it closer to pre-Brexit levels if Theresa May this week delivers an offer to Brussels that secures the UK a transition deal with the European Union...
But investors are on a knife-edge about Brexit, and are just as poised to dump sterling if talks break down as they are to buy it if a transition deal is agreed. “If it becomes clear there isn’t going to be a transition deal, then the pound would be all about that,” said Paul Lambert, head of currency at Insight Investment. Sterling, he added, was not about Brexit in itself. “It’s what it means for the economy. The market has priced in what it thought about Brexit, and the reason it’s giving some of that back [on expectation of a transition deal] is that ultimately the date you’re going to find out is being kicked down the road.”
For all the near-term certainty business would derive from a transition deal, Brexit would still damage the economy in the longer term, said George Magnus, associate at Oxford University’s China Centre. “From a sterling point of view, it’s good news that things seem to be moving in a direction that mitigates against a hard Brexit and a collapse of negotiations,” he said. “We shouldn’t be churlish, but Brexit is a corrosive process as far the UK economy is concerned.”
According to Lefteris Farmakis, macro strategist at UBS, the eurozone was growing significantly faster, while the UK was decelerating more quickly than expected. “That is evidence that something is not right [with the UK economy],” he said. “Against this backdrop, if you get certainty for longer, you could get a pick-up in the short term.”
https://www.ft.com/content/fc34d972-...9-c64b1c09b482

---------- Post added at 23:18 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

From what I've heard, Ireland is seeking a fall-back position for Northern Ireland if a sufficiently wide-ranging trade deal is not agreed.
So, it wants a Plan B which I'm guessing would be Northern Ireland remaining in the Customs Union if the EU-UK trade deal would result in a hard border.

jonbxx 04-12-2017 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35927373)
[/COLOR]From what I've heard, Ireland is seeking a fall-back position for Northern Ireland if a sufficiently wide-ranging trade deal is not agreed.
So, it wants a Plan B which I'm guessing would be Northern Ireland remaining in the Customs Union if the EU-UK trade deal would result in a hard border.

Not sure if that will happen to be honest as the DUP will go ballistic at the creation of a 'hard' border between NI and the rest of the UK. It could be enough to break up the agreement between the conservatives and DUP.

Damien 04-12-2017 11:46

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/sta...41775467986944

Quote:

BREAKING: UK will concede that there will be no "regulatory divergence" on the island of Ireland on the single market and customs union, acc to a draft text seen by @rtenews
So either Northern Ireland or the whole of the UK will be following the regulations of the single market.

---------- Post added at 11:46 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Looks like a border between N.Ireland and the UK. That'll go down well.

Osem 04-12-2017 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonbxx (Post 35927350)
You means these immigrants are integrating in to the British way of life?

It does go to show how each persons perceptions of immigration vary depending on their experience. On the whole, most immigrants I have met have been sound. Normal people who just want to get on with their lives. Mick’s experience is different. Neither however is 100% correct.

I have been an immigrant myself, having worked in Germany, Sweden and the US. It’s tough moving to another country to work, especially if the language is different.

Yes of course some are some aren't. That's self evident. For anyone to say all immigrants benefit the UK though is just as silly as saying none of them do. I've worked abroad in far less liberal places than you and am married to someone who's not from the UK so we know plenty of migrants and some are a lot harder working than others just as you'd expect in any group of people. I can see it from both perspectives and so can she but, for me at least, the immigration debate has always been about having some control of quality and quantity. For far too long we've had/exercised neither and it's perfectly obvious where that has led us. Whilst the politicians and economists might like to see an ever increasing GDP, achieving it through population growth as opposed to productivity isn't the answer. We simply can't keep adding 1m people to the total every 3 years and not expect there to be inreasing problems. That reality of population growth has to be faced sooner or later and I'd rather it didn't take increasing social unrest to do so.

Mick 04-12-2017 14:08

BREAKING: IRISH PM say UK and EU close to a deal but DUP say NO to Divergence to Regulatory Alignment. Claiming the IRISH Government is seeking to Unilaterally change the Belfast Agreement.

https://twitter.com/BrexitCentral/st...85682922901504

ianch99 04-12-2017 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35927396)
Yes of course some are some aren't. That's self evident. For anyone to say all immigrants benefit the UK though is just as silly as saying none of them do. I've worked abroad in far less liberal places than you and am married to someone who's not from the UK so we know plenty of migrants and some are a lot harder working than others just as you'd expect in any group of people. I can see it from both perspectives and so can she but, for me at least, the immigration debate has always been about having some control of quality and quantity. For far too long we've had/exercised neither and it's perfectly obvious where that has led us. Whilst the politicians and economists might like to see an ever increasing GDP, achieving it through population growth as opposed to productivity isn't the answer. We simply can't keep adding 1m people to the total every 3 years and not expect there to be inreasing problems. That reality of population growth has to be faced sooner or later and I'd rather it didn't take increasing social unrest to do so.

Of course the facts do your fit your EU hate agenda. In the year ending March 2017, the EU net migration was currently 127,000. This, allied to the fact that:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36449974

Quote:

following amendments to The Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 .

As things stand, EU citizens who come to the UK to find work cannot claim jobseeker's allowance during their first three months in the country.

After that they can claim for a total of 91 days, which can be split across several periods of jobseeking. They can continue claiming beyond that period if they can demonstrate that they are actively looking for a job and are likely to get it.

After a total of six months they can be removed if they still have not found a job, and have no realistic possibility of finding one, and require support from the welfare system.

These rules have been in place since early 2014, and are in line with existing EU legislation
means that the whole line about:

Quote:

is a big Daily Mail style con trick :mad:

Mick 04-12-2017 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35927403)

is a big Daily Mail style con trick :mad:

Oh really ?

So the four people who were mugged by Unskilled Romanian nationals about 200 yards from my own front door earlier this year never happened ?

I can show a mad face as well. :mad:

Osem 04-12-2017 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927405)
Oh really ?

So the four people who were mugged by Unskilled Romanian nationals about 200 yards from my own front door earlier this year never happened ?

No it's all right wing lies Mick, you should know that by now.

The irony is that in many of the former E European countries they've been only too glad that some of their less diligent, honest and decent countrymen have left to find richer pickings elsewhere. That's in large part what was behind the desire to 'assist' Roma to leave and go to the UK etc. They're not liked and not wanted by a good many people back home and my wife's family can testify to that.

Mick 04-12-2017 15:57

Latest Update: No Deal on Ireland today (Might have something to do with the DUP Intervention)

Damien 04-12-2017 15:58

How they thought that would fly with the DUP......

denphone 04-12-2017 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35927412)
How they thought that would fly with the DUP......

Absolutely as that was a total non starter.

Mr K 04-12-2017 16:20

Brexit deal or being in Government?? Maybe the swivel eyed loons can't have both.... Stuff the DUP and call an election ;)

Damien 04-12-2017 16:31

She would have been able to pass it without the DUP had she not called that General Election to strength her hand....

denphone 04-12-2017 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35927421)
She would have been able to pass it without the DUP had she not called that General Election to strength her hand....

A bad decision as we know.

Damien 04-12-2017 16:39

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2017/12/1.png

'Stunning move'

Mick 04-12-2017 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35927418)
Brexit deal or being in Government?? Maybe the swivel eyed loons can't have both.... Stuff the DUP and call an election ;)

Or better still, we walk away from a bad deal, remember that line ?

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35927423)

We actually think the DUP are showing a better back bone than our own current government.

Us Brexiteers should be thanking the DUP today. I know I do.

1andrew1 04-12-2017 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927427)

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

We actually think the DUP are showing a better back bone than our own current government.

Looking forward to the Brexit project being red carded! Thanks DUP. :)

Mr K 04-12-2017 17:27

Quote:

Do you remember our esteemed Chancellor saying 'no deal would be a disaster'?? And he's right. Theresa obviously thinks do too given the desperate panic 'negotiating' today.

ianch99 04-12-2017 17:47

Quote:

What on earth are you talking about? I think you have been reading too many Trump tweets :)

Damien 04-12-2017 17:54

Quote:

Why? What is the Brexiter solution to Northern Ireland?

ianch99 04-12-2017 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35927418)

Said loons may yet scupper the whole thing which would be ironic. With Mr Mogg cuddling up to Steve Bannon, who know's what he and his off-shore, race-to-the-bottom, tax dodging chums will cook up?

Whatever they do, Mr Corbyn is rubbing his hands with glee. He may well get his hands on the keys on No. 10 before the next scheduled election ... a road waved by the crass ineptitude of the Tory anti-EU psychosis. Karma I guess ... reap and ye shall sow I suppose.

Looking forward to seeing the order-order headlines then! :)

---------- Post added at 17:57 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35927435)

There isn't one of course. If there was, it would have been discussed long before now.

1andrew1 04-12-2017 17:59

Quote:

Oh really ?

Where does Ian say that the event you describe didn't happen?

---------- Post added at 17:59 ---------- Previous post was at 17:58 ----------

Quote:

Probably something involving heads and sand.

ianch99 04-12-2017 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35927438)
Where does Ian say that the event you describe didn't happen?

Just because Mick never said it happened doesn't mean to say that it didn't happen, right?

Mick 04-12-2017 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35927432)
What on earth are you talking about? I think you have been reading too many Trump tweets :)

You quoted something I wrote in an earlier post and then claimed it was fiction that you claimed you’d find in the Daily Mail. Yes no ?

I can categorically say what happened wasn’t fiction. I can also trail back to a friends fb post about two Eastern European women, trying to mug an elderly man, they pushed him to the ground if I recall and my friend who was passing in a car stopped to help and took their pictures and reported them to the Police, who said it looks like the same Romanian women who are preying on easy targets and using distraction techniques to rob people in the street.

I don’t know how many more times I have to say it, skilled migrants, I have no issue with, unskilled *******s who come here on the steal/take, I do.

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 18:06 ----------

Quote:

NI is part of U.K., it leaves with us, not have some kind of special deal brokered by the EU or the Irish Government.

What the hell is Theresa May thinking that she can just walk into EU HQ and do a deal by sidelining the DUP, not to mention it causing a stink here with the Scots, Welsh and even Sadiq insisting that they get special arrangements to stay in SM and CU too?

So far, there is no concessions the EU is prepared to move on. Our government needs to toughen up and threaten to walk away and still do so if it’s a bad deal, at the moment, TM appears to handing over billions and now potentially handing NI back to Ireland just to get to the 2nd phase of the talks, screw that. She needs to stick to her guns, no deal is better than a bad deal.

Osem 04-12-2017 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927442)
You quoted something I wrote in an earlier post and then claimed it was fiction that you claimed you’d find in the Daily Mail. Yes no ?

I can categorically say what happened wasn’t fiction. I can also trail back to a friends fb post about two Eastern European women, trying to mug an elderly man, they pushed him to the ground if I recall and my friend who was passing in a car stopped to help and took their pictures and reported them to the Police, who said it looks like the same Romanian women who are preying on easy targets and using distraction techniques to rob people in the street.

I don’t know how many more times I have to say it, skilled migrants, I have no issue with, unskilled *******s who come here on the steal/take, I do.

Some folks only hear what they want to hear. Remember Gordon Brown and the 'bigot'? It's typical of those who whine about stereotyping but do it themselves all the time.

ianch99 04-12-2017 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35927444)
Some folks only hear what they want to hear

You are not wrong there :)

Order .. Order .. I say, I shall have order!

1andrew1 04-12-2017 18:34

Quote:

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 18:06 ----------

NI is part of U.K., it leaves with us, not have some kind of special deal brokered by the EU or the Irish Government.

What the hell is Theresa May thinking that she can just walk into EU HQ and do a deal by sidelining the DUP, not to mention it causing a stink here with the Scots, Welsh and even Sadiq insisting that they get special arrangements to stay in SM and CU too?

So far, there is no concessions the EU is prepared to move on. Our government needs to toughen up and threaten to walk away and still do so if it’s a bad deal, at the moment, TM appears to handing over billions and now potentially handing NI back to Ireland just to get to the 2nd phase of the talks, screw that. She needs to stick to her guns, no deal is better than a bad deal.

But the Brexit campaigns promised no hard border with Northern Ireland and people voted on that basis. Therefore, the referendum is invalid if they propose to renege on the promise or can't deliver on it.

Mick 04-12-2017 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35927429)
Looking forward to the Brexit project being red carded! Thanks DUP. :)

How very undemocratic you are. :rolleyes:

Either way, the red carding won’t happen Andrew, we’re still leaving.

daveeb 04-12-2017 18:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35927446)
You are not wrong there :)

Order .. Order .. I say, I shall have order!

Beat me to it ;)

Mick 04-12-2017 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35927447)
But the Brexit campaigns promised no hard border with Northern Ireland and people voted on that basis. Therefore, the referendum is invalid if they propose to renege on the promise or can't deliver on it.

As usual it’s a hard line remainers paradise to stop and use the NI issue as a scapegoat to stop Brexit. Brexit will happen as it should, so we can be finally rid of the EU once and for all and we can then cook our chips to the colour we damn well like. ;)

Damien 04-12-2017 18:52

Quote:

You need an answer to the question of the Irish border. We can't say 'no deal is better than a bad deal' and leave it at that. Something needs to happen at the border.

A border between Northern Ireland and Ireland is unacceptable to half of N.Ireland, Ireland and causes trouble with the Good Friday Agreement.

A border between the island of Ireland and Great Britain is unacceptable to the other half of Northern Island, Brexiters and the DUP.

No border is pretty much unwelcome across all sides and poses questions about customs checks and border controls. Personally I favour this arrangement anyway but it would mean some concessions from Brexiters about how we manage that.

So what is the answer? There comes a point in every topic to do with Brexit where 'No' is no longer going to work.

denphone 04-12-2017 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927452)
As usual it’s a hard line remainers paradise to stop and use the NI issue as a scapegoat to stop Brexit. Brexit will happen as it should, so we can be finally rid of the EU once and for all and we can then cook our chips to the colour we damn well like. ;)

Maybe for some but certainly not me as my bone of contention is the sheer incompetence of HMS and nothing l have seen or heard since has changed that view as today was just another example of it sadly.

---------- Post added at 19:00 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927452)

Indeed it should happen but don't think everything is going to be nice and rosy in the garden and that it will cure many of our ills because it won't sadly.

1andrew1 04-12-2017 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35927453)
You need an answer to the question of the Irish border. We can't say 'no deal is better than a bad deal' and leave it at that. Something needs to happen at the border.

A border between Northern Ireland and Ireland is unacceptable to half of N.Ireland, Ireland and causes trouble with the Good Friday Agreement.

A border between the island of Ireland and Great Britain is unacceptable to the other half of Northern Island, Brexiters and the DUP.

No border is pretty much unwelcome across all sides and poses questions about customs checks and border controls. Personally I favour this arrangement anyway but it would mean some concessions from Brexiters about how we manage that.

So what is the answer? There comes a point in every topic to do with Brexit where 'No' is no longer going to work.

Until Brexiters raise their game and solve the Irish border issue, Brexit can't happen. Pretending that it's not an issue and that no deal is better than a bad deal won't make it go away.

ianch99 04-12-2017 19:09

Quote:

Ok ... you said:

Quote:

No mention of any "four people who were mugged by Unskilled Romanian nationals about 200 yards from my own front door"

Of course, I am supposed to infer this.

You then, crudely, extrapolated the dodgy Romanians in your street to apply to the nation as a whole and yes, the line:

Quote:

is exactly what you would find in the Daily Mail

Mick 04-12-2017 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35927457)
Ok ... you said:

No mention of any "four people who were mugged by Unskilled Romanian nationals about 200 yards from my own front door"

Of course, I am supposed to infer this.

You then, crudely, extrapolated the dodgy Romanians in your street to apply to the nation as a whole and yes, the line:

is exactly what you would find in the Daily Mail

Well you know more than me as to what’s in the Daily Mail as I don’t read it! :rolleyes:

And don’t ever accuse me of lying again. (If I suspect correctly what you’re trying to do) :dozey:

---------- Post added at 19:40 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35927454)
Maybe for some but certainly not me as my bone of contention is the sheer incompetence of HMS and nothing l have seen or heard since has changed that view as today was just another example of it sadly.

---------- Post added at 19:00 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------

Indeed it should happen but don't think everything is going to be nice and rosy in the garden and that it will cure many of our ills because it won't sadly.

Hence why I said hardline remainer Den. You do know the difference yeah?

denphone 04-12-2017 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927459)
Hence why I said hardline remainer Den. You do know the difference yeah?

l know the difference as l might be stupid but l am not that stupid.:)

Mick 04-12-2017 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35927462)
l know the difference as l might be stupid but l am not that stupid.:)

So why the need for you to bold my remark when it does not apply to you?

You’re a remainer but one accepting of the Democratic result. Thus, not a hardline remainer, and just want this PM and her government to get on with it and stop messing about.

denphone 04-12-2017 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927464)

You’re a remainer but one accepting of the Democratic result. Thus, not a hardline remainer, and just want this PM and her government to get on with it and stop messing about.

Brexit affects us all does it not? and as such everybody is entitled to their opinion on the most important event to affect this country since the end of the second world war.

Mr K 04-12-2017 20:12

Quote:

Doesn't always have to be 'them and us', 'losers and winners', everyone who isn't on the 'right side' must suffer or be ridiculed. Brexit is making this country more divided than ever, at some point this country needs to move forward together. Language like you come out with doesn't give me much hope. This isn't Trump's America yet, but we may be going that way, which I'd guess you'd like !

denphone 04-12-2017 20:15

Quote:

The problem is the PM has become so weakened since the general election hence everybody else knows that thus she has not got many bargaining chips to play with.

Damien 04-12-2017 20:42

Quote:

Brexit is more than just severing ties and pulling up the drawbridge, it's about what takes it's place too. Northern Ireland is an example of that. You need a solution to it and whilst there are plenty ready to criticise May for her attempts to solve these problems there are fewer people with answers themselves.

The 'messing about' is the part where it turns out this is not an easy process. Maybe if some in the Vote Leave campaign who were all too ready to tell us how easy the trade deal would be and that Northern Ireland wouldn't be a problem could now step forward with what they had in mind then we could get on with it.

1andrew1 04-12-2017 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35927479)
Brexit is more than just severing ties and pulling up the drawbridge, it's about what takes it's place too. Northern Ireland is an example of that. You need a solution to it and whilst there are plenty ready to criticise May for her attempts to solve these problems there are fewer people with answers themselves.

The 'messing about' is the part where it turns out this is not an easy process. Maybe if some in the Vote Leave campaign who were all too ready to tell us how easy the trade deal would be and that Northern Ireland wouldn't be a problem could now step forward with what they had in mind then we could get on with it.

Exactly, I think Rees-Mogg, BoJo and pals are quite happy to sit back in their country houses whilst Theresa May takes part in an impossible version of getting the fox and chicken across to the other side of the river.
Like you, I would like to hear some solutions from Brexiters to this dilemma. We're not telling a couple of teenagers on the shop floor to stop messing around and stack those bog rolls on the shelves! I genuinely see Theresa May doing her best to make Brexit happen.

Osem 04-12-2017 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927448)
How very undemocratic you are. :rolleyes:

Either way, the red carding won’t happen Andrew, we’re still leaving.

Yes but it's OK because he's right and the majority were wrong because they were confused, deluded, xenophobic bigots. He knows this.

1andrew1 04-12-2017 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35927484)
Yes but it's OK because he's right and the majority were wrong because they were confused, deluded, xenophobic bigots. He knows this.

So what's the solution to the Irish border then? No solution, no Brexit. It's not harder than that.

ianch99 04-12-2017 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927459)
And don’t ever accuse me of lying again. (If I suspect correctly what you’re trying to do)

No need to .. everyone can read what you did (and didn't) say ...

1andrew1 05-12-2017 00:15

Poster Cold Soup nails the Irish problem on FT.com
Quote:

It is incompetent and irresponsible for the government to have triggered Article 50 without having first agreed within itself a clear view on what the UK wants to happen in Northern Ireland. It is disgraceful for the government (including the DUP) not to have reached that agreement in the time thereafter.
It now appears that we have not been negotiating with the EU on the issue at all - how can we have been when we don't seem to know what our own preferred outcome is? It looks much more like we have been asking the EU to come up with a solution to a problem we have created. The lack of statesmanship from the UK is astonishing.
https://www.ft.com/content/b3fdd8e6-...9-c64b1c09b482

TheDaddy 05-12-2017 07:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35927456)
Until Brexiters raise their game and solve the Irish border issue, Brexit can't happen. Pretending that it's not an issue and that no deal is better than a bad deal won't make it go away.

I actually wondered if we'd staged it to ensure no deal or a way of get more concessions. I couldn't quite believe Mrs May and Arlene weren't singing from the same hymn sheet. It's Machiavellian genius if she did, the grossest of incompetence if she didn't.

Several other things occurred to me, yesterday we were told that if no deal was achieved by today (now yesterday :doh: ) the there would be no opportunity to discuss it again until March, now all of a sudden we can do it next week after all, evidence if it were needed that they are as desperate for a deal as we are.

If we weren't setting the whole thing up to fail why did we agree to every demand, I think we set out our position all wrong at the start, focussing on anything but a trade deal as a failure was really starting of with one hand tied behind our backs, we should have played our hand as If we were leaving with no deal and anything on top was a bonus.

I could have it completely wrong, it's just the way it looks to me.

Damien 05-12-2017 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35927505)
If we weren't setting the whole thing up to fail why did we agree to every demand, I think we set out our position all wrong at the start, focussing on anything but a trade deal as a failure was really starting of with one hand tied behind our backs, we should have played our hand as If we were leaving with no deal and anything on top was a bonus.

I could have it completely wrong, it's just the way it looks to me.

It's pretty easy for us to have no deal, we just don't do anything. Although you still have the problem of Northern Ireland amongst others. Although It seems the government have been giving assurances to various companies which are presumably about the nature of the relationship with the EU post-Brexit.

It might be that the British Government has spent months working on the 'divorce bill' and assumed once that was agreed the Germans would tell Ireland to knock it off and move onto the next stage of talks over their objections. When that didn't happen they tried to fudge it and it fell down on the matter of the DUP.

The idea that German car manufacturers wouldn't tolerate the lack of a deal that was popular during the campaign seems to be the basis of the government's strategy. Now we have been taken aback by the lack of domestic pressure on EU governments to do a deal as well as the unified approach they've all taken to the talks has surprised us. Hence the bigger bill, hence the lack of an answer on Ireland.

1andrew1 05-12-2017 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35927506)
It's pretty easy for us to have no deal, we just don't do anything. Although you still have the problem of Northern Ireland amongst others. Although It seems the government have been giving assurances to various companies which are presumably about the nature of the relationship with the EU post-Brexit.

It might be that the British Government has spent months working on the 'divorce bill' and assumed once that was agreed the Germans would tell Ireland to knock it off and move onto the next stage of talks over their objections. When that didn't happen they tried to fudge it and it fell down on the matter of the DUP.

The idea that German car manufacturers wouldn't tolerate the lack of a deal that was popular during the campaign seems to be the basis of the government's strategy. Now we have been taken aback by the lack of domestic pressure on EU governments to do a deal as well as the unified approach they've all taken to the talks has surprised us. Hence the bigger bill, hence the lack of an answer on Ireland.

Theresa May knew the Brexit campaigns lied about Turkey joining the EU. She knew they also lied about the £350m pw claim. Why did she believe that German car manufacturers wouldn't tolerate no deal?

ianch99 05-12-2017 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35927506)

I can't remember the Leave campaign talking much about N. Ireland? I suppose it did not play well with the simplistic narrative they were selling. Mrs May does have an almost impossible conundrum to resolve: the anti-EU cabal in her cabinet and the DUP will stop any EU-tainted compromise whereas the NI people as a whole, who don't forget voted 56% to Remain, will be horrified what a hard border would lead to.

I cannot see how we would be surprised about the unified approach you refer to? The EU leadership must have, as a priority, the preservation of the long term future of the project even if it means a financial penalty. In the same way, although the Leave voters were duped about this, the UK will suffer a similar financial penalty due to Leaving.

jonbxx 05-12-2017 09:32

It's been a staggering 24 hours hasn't it? A deal was apparently reached, giving NI special status. Wales, Scotland and London went 'hang on a minute', we want some of this. Then the DUP said 'no dice', no special status for NI and here we are, back where we started.

How did this happen? Was it arrogance that led to the assumption all of the above would be fine with this or incompetence? I am getting the feeling that HMG would pay full price for a sofa in DFS at this rate...

Now, this could be a sneaky scheme, knowing that the DUP et al would kick off, to extend the CU and SM status across the whole of the UK by the back door but, as it stands, I feel I may be crediting HMG with too much intelligence at this point.

Mick 05-12-2017 10:36

I read that an EU Official is suggesting the DUP intervention and May’s subsequent withdrawal from a deal, was staged.

Carth 05-12-2017 10:40

If N. Ireland are that bothered about staying in, let them stay in along with the southern part of the island.

a) It reduces the size of the UK - which should mean a decrease in the money spent on a wide range of stuff relating to N Ireland

b) It allows continuance of the 'cross border' trade that goes on between North & South

c) It puts a potential EU trading partner on our doorstep

d) The Isle of Man will flourish as the center of smuggling operations

e) Any future political issues between North & South are bugger all to do with us

Damien 05-12-2017 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927523)
I read that an EU Official is suggesting the DUP intervention and May’s subsequent withdrawal from a deal, was staged.

Why? It makes them look like idiots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 35927524)
If N. Ireland are that bothered about staying in, let them stay in along with the southern part of the island.

Right....Can't see any problems with that....:erm:

Mick 05-12-2017 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35927526)
Why? It makes them look like idiots.

Right....Can't see any problems with that....:erm:

Agree with both.

We need new leadership. May lacks total leadership qualities. Her Election campaign was extremely weak. She has fumbled, she has dithered and HMG as it stands has completely botched the Brexit process as it stands. I however still don’t want a Corbyn led Labour Government.

Damien 05-12-2017 11:29

Apparently the Irish government will allow 'rephrasing' of the deal so long as the core principle remains...

Mick 05-12-2017 11:31

They have changed their tune, Irish PM said he was not going to change the text, at all.

denphone 05-12-2017 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927528)
We need new leadership. May lacks total leadership qualities. Her Election campaign was extremely weak. She has fumbled, she has dithered and HMG as it stands has completely botched the Brexit process as it stands..

And who would you suggest? as the governing party are not exactly enamoured with outstanding candidates.

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

Quote:

I however still don’t want a Corbyn led Labour Government.

The way it stands we are looking at a minority government again at the next General Election be it the Conservatives or Labour who win the most seats as personally l cannot see either winning a overall majority.

ianch99 05-12-2017 12:06

Quote:

Agree with both.

We need new leadership. May lacks total leadership qualities. Her Election campaign was extremely weak. She has fumbled, she has dithered and HMG as it stands has completely botched the Brexit process as it stands. I however still don’t want a Corbyn led Labour Government.

Got to agree 100% here ... I do feel the damage is done though re: Corbyn. Unless he messes up big time, which is by no means impossible, Mrs May (and more importantly, the out-of-touch Party right wing) has gifted the keys of No. 10 to Labour

denphone 05-12-2017 12:06

Quote:

I however still don’t want a Corbyn led Labour Government.

Both very poor leaders and a big indictment of the lack of outstanding political leaders we have currently.

RichardCoulter 05-12-2017 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35926697)
One of the benefits of a secret ballot.

It wasn't a secret ballot, so the information could be obtained if desired.

Hugh 05-12-2017 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35927542)
It wasn't a secret ballot, so the information could be obtained if desired.

The EU Referendum Vote wasn't a secret ballot?

Really?

Damien 05-12-2017 12:27

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...d=tmg_share_tw

Quote:

Arlene Foster has ruled out flying to London today for Brexit talks with Theresa May as insiders warned that the Democratic Unionist Party was “far away” from agreeing a deal with the Government on the Irish border.
And Ruth Davidson understandably does not want a weakening of UK integration: https://twitter.com/ruthdavidsonmsp/...72391577341952

RichardCoulter 05-12-2017 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35927549)
The EU Referendum Vote wasn't a secret ballot?

Really?

Yep, neither are any elections as all are traceable back to the individual. The official explanation is that this is in case of electoral fraud.

The votes will probably have been destroyed now though (usually kept for one year) so it will be too late to see how Irish people voted.

ianch99 05-12-2017 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35927550)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...d=tmg_share_tw

And Ruth Davidson understandably does not want a weakening of UK integration: https://twitter.com/ruthdavidsonmsp/...72391577341952

Maybe she will be courted as a May-replacement as she seems to show more than the current amount of common sense seen in Tory leaders?

Damien 05-12-2017 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35927552)
Maybe she will be courted as a May-replacement as she seems to show more than the current amount of common sense seen in Tory leaders?

I think you would have to be an idiot to take the job at the moment.

Mick 05-12-2017 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35927553)

I think all the shenanigans, Cabinet squabbles, International pressures, tensions with President Trump, has taken a toil on May this last few week and I think she is lost somewhere and it is just a shell walking around, agreeing to everything.

Gavin78 05-12-2017 13:48

Just stick Nigel in charge. There won't be any pressure then will there. He likes Trump, couldn't give a stuff about the EU, I'm sure he doesn't like scotland either so win win

Mick 05-12-2017 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin78 (Post 35927559)
Just stick Nigel in charge. There won't be any pressure then will there. He likes Trump, couldn't give a stuff about the EU, I'm sure he doesn't like scotland either so win win

I think there would be a lot of upset from the far left AKA Antifa, if Nigel was ever to be in the position to be in the running for leadership.

1andrew1 05-12-2017 14:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35927553)

You mean BoJo's going to take it then? :D

denphone 05-12-2017 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35927567)
You mean BoJo's going to take it then? :D

With Michael straight behind him weighing up his next move.;)

Hugh 05-12-2017 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35927561)
I think there would be a lot of upset from the far left AKA Antifa, if Nigel was ever to be in the position to be in the running for leadership.

There would also be a lot of upset from middle of the road Conservatives.

heero_yuy 05-12-2017 15:33

It would be like putting some avowed marxists in chage of the Labour party. Oh, wait a minute.... :D

Hugh 05-12-2017 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35927576)
It would be like putting some avowed marxists in chage of the Labour party. Oh, wait a minute.... :D

Two wrong-uns don't make a right (wing party)...

1andrew1 06-12-2017 22:10

Imagine if Labour was in power. Diane Abbott says that she doesn't after all have any impact reports as she doesn't trust experts having earlier stated they had been done.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a3711871.html

On a humorous note, here's the front page of the National newspaper. Genius!
https://twitter.com/ScotNational/sta...18024679718912

denphone 07-12-2017 05:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35927771)
Imagine if Labour was in power. Diane Abbott says that she doesn't after all have any impact reports as she doesn't trust experts having earlier stated they had been done.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a3711871.html

On a humorous note, here's the front page of the National newspaper. Genius!
https://twitter.com/ScotNational/sta...18024679718912

Don't you just love some of our incompetent , obfuscating politicians in this country Andrew when so many have placed their faith in them.

Damien 07-12-2017 06:38

The Sun is reporting David Davies is plotting to be PM by Christmas: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/508332...rime-minister/

Personally I think he should be disqualified just based on both his inability for the department he leads to undertake impact assessments and then his lying that they had.

Osem 07-12-2017 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35927790)
The Sun is reporting David Davies is plotting to be PM by Christmas: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/508332...rime-minister/

Personally I think he should be disqualified just based on both his inability for the department he leads to undertake impact assessments and then his lying that they had.

... and how many times have we all been told not to believe what that scandalous rag publishes... :confused:

;)

Damien 07-12-2017 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35927792)
... and how many times have we all been told not to believe what that scandalous rag publishes... :confused:

;)

Yeah not sure I believe them. There might be a correction in the corner of page 34 coming soon....:D