Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688944)

jfman 08-08-2021 22:52

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

It’s literally a restriction on the ability to trade.

It’d be laughable if cinemas got to say there were windows that television channels/streaming services couldn’t show any movies to encourage people to go.

vincerooney 08-08-2021 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36089021)
It’s literally a restriction on the ability to trade.

It’d be laughable if cinemas got to say there were windows that television channels/streaming services couldn’t show any movies to encourage people to go.

thought it was literally to stop people watching the premier league games at 3pm saturday instead of supporting their local teams?

OLD BOY 09-08-2021 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36089027)
thought it was literally to stop people watching the premier league games at 3pm saturday instead of supporting their local teams?

It is, but you know how jfman tries to twist everything.

However I do agree with him that it is a practice that should cease. Football fans are always going to turn out to watch their team play.

jfman 09-08-2021 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36089049)
It is, but you know how jfman tries to twist everything.

However I do agree with him that it is a practice that should cease. Football fans are always going to turn out to watch their team play.

It’s a restriction on trade. It takes no twisting from me for that to be a fact. Capitalist enterprises (and indeed the league’s collective bargaining constitutes a cartel) preventing others from broadcasting games so they get more customers at the turnstiles and push up the value per game of televised fixtures.

Carth 09-08-2021 12:18

I remember games were played 3pm on a Saturday, now they're played at stupid times any day of the week in order to satisfy the whims of Sky BT etc.

Yes they pay £millions for the coverage rights, but it's created further greed and corruption within football at the higher levels.

1andrew1 09-08-2021 12:34

Interesting to see how Amazon is tackling its Ligue 1 rights charging in France. It seems to have got lucky again! (Ligue 1 being equivalent to English Premier League)

Background: Amazon won 80% of Ligue 1 rights for a bargain €250m per season replacing Mediapro which failed to honour its contract citing the Pandemic as the reason. (As a side issue, Canal + previously had agreed the remaining 20% of rights for €332m so is not happy with Amazon's bargain basement deal!)

Pricing: Amazon Prime members will be offered over 300 matches per season for an extra €12.99 a month.

Source: https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021...ue-1-coverage/

jfman 09-08-2021 12:54

So in a country with a well developed pay-tv market, a population of 67 million they’ve estimated it’ll take €12.99 plus the upselling of tat to recoup €250m.

How much to recoup £1.6bn I wonder…

OLD BOY 09-08-2021 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36089095)
So in a country with a well developed pay-tv market, a population of 67 million they’ve estimated it’ll take €12.99 plus the upselling of tat to recoup €250m.

I’m sure they know what they are doing, jfman. But if you believe they are making a big mistake, maybe you should offer your services. Would you like a reference? :D

jfman 09-08-2021 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36089098)
I’m sure they know what they are doing, jfman. But if you believe they are making a big mistake, maybe you should offer your services. Would you like a reference? :D

I’m sure they know what they are doing too, Old Boy.

That’s why in England they’ve not bid for anything other than the bargain bucket rights nobody else wanted. And signed up to renewal without a bidding war.

TimeLord2018 09-08-2021 13:24

Serie A: BT Sport to show Italian top flight from 2021/22 season
Quote:

BT Sport is to be the exclusive broadcaster of Serie A in the UK and Ireland in a three-season deal, running through to 2024.
https://www.bt.com/sport/football/se...wn-on-bt-sport

1andrew1 09-08-2021 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeLord2018 (Post 36089103)
Serie A: BT Sport to show Italian top flight from 2021/22 season

https://www.bt.com/sport/football/se...wn-on-bt-sport

More evidence of the merry-go-round of the smaller rights packages. I believe Premier Sports held the rights before.

bluecatt73 09-08-2021 13:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36089018)
Rubbish

Seconded. It's intended to protect attendances in the lower (and non) leagues.

jfman 09-08-2021 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecatt73 (Post 36089109)
Seconded. It's intended to protect attendances in the lower (and non) leagues.

You do know what protectionism is, right?

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36089108)
More evidence of the merry-go-round of the smaller rights packages. I believe Premier Sports held the rights before.

Interestingly, both the Bundesliga and Serie A are three year deals. It doesn’t sound like either league expects some plucky upstart streaming service to blow Sky or BT out the water in the next three years.

1andrew1 09-08-2021 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36089095)

Yup, that's the obvious inference, agreed, that France should be a warning to those in the UK hoping that Amazon is going to reduce the price of sports TV subscriptions.

---------- Post added at 14:02 ---------- Previous post was at 13:59 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36089111)

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Interestingly, both the Bundesliga and Serie A are three year deals. It doesn’t sound like either league expects some plucky upstart streaming service to blow Sky or BT out the water in the next three years.

I've no doubt these rights would have been marketed to DAZN and Amazon too.

Raider999 09-08-2021 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36089079)
I remember games were played 3pm on a Saturday, now they're played at stupid times any day of the week in order to satisfy the whims of Sky BT etc.

Yes they pay £millions for the coverage rights, but it's created further greed and corruption within football at the higher levels.

You cannot argue with that, but then they are paying handsomely for that privilege.

vincerooney 10-08-2021 00:57

Do we know what the latest situation is with BT Sports and Virgin Media. Aren't the contracts up now?

Media Boy UK 10-08-2021 01:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36089222)
Do we know what the latest situation is with BT Sports and Virgin Media. Aren't the contracts up now?

Look like deals to stay on Virgin Media has been signed.

jfman 10-08-2021 09:15

It’s speculation to claim the deal was up in the first place.

Media Boy UK 10-08-2021 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36089235)
It’s speculation to claim the deal was up in the first place.

The BT Sport closing down on Virgin rumour was started on an other web site and posted the following:

Quote:

I was told earlier today that a location of one of Virgin's Channel Update slate has been updated with codes for BT subscription packages. Currently an actual slate isn't visible but it does carry EPG information "Channel No Longer Available".
But some days later the updated with codes for BT subscription packages was removed by Virgin Media.

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thr...treaming-only/

bluecatt73 10-08-2021 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36089111)

Yes, I do. I understand your argument, I just don't agree with it. But perhaps that's because I support a league 1 club.

jfman 10-08-2021 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089247)
The BT Sport closing down on Virgin rumour was started on an other web site and posted the following:

But some days later the updated with codes for BT subscription packages was removed by Virgin Media.

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thr...treaming-only/

As I said it was speculation.

Raider999 10-08-2021 17:37

With the U.K. Rights to top flight foreign football leagues forever moving from 1 broadcaster to another almost every time they are up for renewal it is evident that not many people are interested in watching foreign football.

I wonder if the rights change as often in each leagues home country?

It seems to be a race to the bottom.

jfman 11-08-2021 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36089294)
With the U.K. Rights to top flight foreign football leagues forever moving from 1 broadcaster to another almost every time they are up for renewal it is evident that not many people are interested in watching foreign football.

I wonder if the rights change as often in each leagues home country?

It seems to be a race to the bottom.

La Liga was on Sky for almost 20 years. The Bundesliga on BT for 8.

If you remove Eleven Sports getting too big for their boots and collapsing as there was no space for a purely sports streaming service without a linear presence you’ll find the rights are generally quite stable.

The popularity (or otherwise) is equally irrelevant to the 3pm blackout being a protectionist racket.

Each leagues home country gets more interesting - sometimes due to the regulations imposed to increase competition. However in Germany Sky (and Premiere before it) have had the primary coverage of the Bundesliga since the analogue satellite days.

1andrew1 11-08-2021 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36089409)
Each leagues home country gets more interesting - sometimes due to the regulations imposed to increase competition. However in Germany Sky (and Premiere before it) have had the primary coverage of the Bundesliga since the analogue satellite days.

Yes, it's been a bit of a mess in France and the league has lost big time by gambling with Mediapro who threw in the towel leaving Amazon to pick up 80% of the rights for relative peanuts. Not sure how that leaves their financial fair play rules and Messi being signed to PSG working out.
And how DAZN will get on with Serie A in Italy remains to be seen...

Media Boy UK 12-08-2021 00:49

Virgin Media are rumoured to be looking to step into the sports market in UK.

BT Sport set to become Virgin Media Sports???:hyper:

If I know Virgin Media it will be something like them being an sponsor of an sport event - like "The Virgin Media Scottish Cup".

1andrew1 12-08-2021 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089477)
Virgin Media are rumoured to be looking to step into the sports market in UK.

BT Sport set to become Virgin Media Sports???:hyper:

If I know Virgin Media it will be something like them being an sponsor of an sport event - like "The Virgin Media Scottish Cup".

#QuietNewsMonth. I think your sources are getting a bit bored and are just throwing things out there this month. :D

jfman 12-08-2021 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36089498)
#QuietNewsMonth. I think your sources are getting a bit bored and are just throwing things out there this month. :D

Isn’t that every month?

1andrew1 12-08-2021 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36089500)
Isn’t that every month?

It didn't use to be this way but I think you're right. Most launches are of streaming services and they tend to be launched on VM or not launched on VM; there aren't the subtleties of individual channels launching so much now.

Media Boy UK 12-08-2021 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36089498)

It was from someone new to me.

1andrew1 12-08-2021 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36089551)
It was from someone new to me.

A fellow countryman known for his contributions to the Coronavirus thread, perchance? :D

Itshim 12-08-2021 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36089500)
Isn’t that every month?

If you put enough out , something is bound to seem somewhat correct . :rolleyes:

Raider999 12-08-2021 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36089409)
La Liga was on Sky for almost 20 years. The Bundesliga on BT for 8.

If you remove Eleven Sports getting too big for their boots and collapsing as there was no space for a purely sports streaming service without a linear presence you’ll find the rights are generally quite stable.

The popularity (or otherwise) is equally irrelevant to the 3pm blackout being a protectionist racket.

I wasn't going back that far - in the last few years things are moving platforms far more often.

I suspect this is because those leagues are trying to get more money from UK rights in an effort to catch up with the Premier League.

1andrew1 16-08-2021 10:18

Coming soon - profitability!

A good article worth reading.
Quote:

The boss of sports streaming service DAZN has told the BBC that the platform will expand to introduce "things like wagering, betting, fantasy and commerce".

Chief executive James Rushton says it will become "a sports destination platform" over the next 12 months and that profitability for the loss-making company is coming "in the near future".

New services could help by boosting subscriber numbers.

Analysts have questioned how the company will recoup the billions of dollars it has spent globally on sports rights.

The BBC understands that about 15 million people around the world have now subscribed to the internet service, which is trying to disrupt the TV sports industry worldwide.
Notable that Chief executive James Rushton mentions the financial savings from being an online operation which are then demolished.
Quote:

Francois Goddard, a media analyst at Enders Analysis, believes those savings are limited. He points out that in Spain, DAZN content is also available via "traditional linear channels".

"Look at the price of satellite channels today, it's no big savings, and online video is expensive because you need servers everywhere," he says.

This is a particular issue for sport because it is live and "everybody's watching at the same time", which increases the demand on the servers that are essential to relaying the live pictures into people's homes.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58219424
You can watch James Rushton's full interview on "Talking Business with Aaron Heslehurst" on BBC World News at 16:30 GMT on Monday, 12:30 GMT on Tuesday and 07:30 GMT on Thursday.

jfman 16-08-2021 12:27

Profitability by becoming a betting app. An interesting step in vertical integration that I’m sure will please everyone.

Media Boy UK 16-08-2021 16:46

BT Sport close to Ashes renewal

BT Sport is reportedly set to be the UK broadcaster for the Ashes series this winter.

The broadcaster paid Cricket Australia £80 million for the rights to Australia’s home internationals and the Big Bash between 2016-21, and the Daily Mail claims that it is set to renew this agreement.

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broad...162439.article

denphone 16-08-2021 16:57

So much for those who were predicting BT Sport's demise.

Raider999 17-08-2021 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36089963)
So much for those who were predicting BT Sport's demise.

There have been several articles with regard to BT looking to sell the Sports (or a proportion of it)

If you don't renew the rights, then you have less to attract potential buyers.

jfman 17-08-2021 22:31

I think den is more referring to the end of linear sports channels and BT being “blown out the water” routinely as predicted by others than the well documented search for an investor.

telegramsam 17-08-2021 22:55

It's interesting,who would invest? If Virgin was to invest would they want their name (Virgin) to be the name of the channel and if so would BT go with that? BT virgin sport is too much of a mouthful, don't you think? Who remembers Sky is actually BSkyB?

Paul 17-08-2021 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 36090161)
Who remembers Sky is actually BSkyB?

They are Sky UK Limited (and the parent is Sky PLC) They changed name a few years ago.

cheekyangus 17-08-2021 23:45

I wonder how many people these days remember BSB (British Satellite Broadcasting) and Squarials, or that they merged with Sky Television to become BSkyB (as it was known until recently)?

Geez I feel ancient :D

Carth 18-08-2021 03:25

How many remember the good old days of two (or three) channels and a white dot after 11pm :D

OLD BOY 18-08-2021 07:44

Yes, with 'Grandstand' on Saturday afternoons on BBC and 'World of Sport' on ITV!

Back in the day it was just BBC of course, and the only choice if you didn't like the programme was to switch off!

noel43 18-08-2021 07:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36090178)
How many remember the good old days of two (or three) channels and a white dot after 11pm :D

Or even ons.

figgyburn 18-08-2021 09:04

God save the queen was played before switch off,same happened at the cinema,some people standing up singing before departing the cinema.Changed days indeed.

Raider999 18-08-2021 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36090178)

Don't forget the national anthem every night at closure. (Hadn't got as far as figgyburn's post)

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

In those days the channel of choice for sports fans - none other than BBC.

How times change.

heero_yuy 18-08-2021 17:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by figgyburn (Post 36090183)
God save the queen was played before switch off,same happened at the cinema

I remember it as the stampede for the exits.:D

Chad 20-08-2021 22:03

A nice nostalgia piece about Setanta Sports in the UK trying to compete with SKY.

https://footballpink.net/setanta-premier-league/

Brought back many memories as a former Virgin TV customer. The removal of Sky basic channels, Virgin agreeing a deal with Setanta, the launch of Setanta Sports News etc... That was nearly 15 years ago now!

telegramsam 21-08-2021 03:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 36090472)
A nice nostalgia piece about Setanta Sports in the UK trying to compete with SKY.

https://footballpink.net/setanta-premier-league/

Brought back many memories as a former Virgin TV customer. The removal of Sky basic channels, Virgin agreeing a deal with Setanta, the launch of Setanta Sports News etc... That was nearly 15 years ago now!

A very interesting read.

denphone 01-09-2021 12:09

Sky Sports announces new boxing schedule with Top Rank and BOXXER.

https://www.skysports.com/boxing/new...ank-and-boxxer

Media Boy UK 07-09-2021 15:06

DS Forum: Discovery Signs 10-Year Australian Open Tennis Deal to 2031.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...s-deal-to-2031

Media Boy UK 16-09-2021 18:40

Discovery wins more Tennis

https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/discovery-...p-for-a-decade

OLD BOY 17-09-2021 19:21

The really big story is that DAZN may offer Premier League matches soon, with their interest in BT Sport.

Those who don’t like the idea of footie streaming can take comfort in the knowledge that DAZN would also offer a linear broadcast channel, at least in the short to medium term.

https://www.mediamole.co.uk/entertai...rt_464070.html

Media Boy UK 17-09-2021 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36093447)
The really big story is that DAZN may offer Premier League matches soon, with their interest in BT Sport.

Those who don’t like the idea of footie streaming can take comfort in the knowledge that DAZN would also offer a linear broadcast channel, at least in the short to medium term.

Other interested parties in BT Sport are said to include Disney and Amazon.

OLD BOY 17-09-2021 20:18

All of which points to the increased streaming of Premiership football matches.

Who would have thought it?

Hugh 17-09-2021 21:01

Quote:

Can I ask where you got that info from, please, as there’s nothing related to that in the linked article?

jfman 17-09-2021 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36093463)
All of which points to the increased streaming of Premiership football matches.

Who would have thought it?

All of the games broadcast in the UK are streamed live by Sky, BT and Amazon on apps.

You literally can’t get more than 100%.

muppetman11 17-09-2021 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36093480)
All of the games broadcast in the UK are streamed live by Sky, BT and Amazon on apps.

It's hilarious isn't it , he genuinely thinks it's something ground breaking when Sky have been streaming games on Sky Go and Now TV for ages and BT via the excellent BT Sport app.

jfman 17-09-2021 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36093508)
It's hilarious isn't it , he genuinely thinks it's something ground breaking when Sky have been streaming games on Sky Go and Now TV for ages and BT via the excellent BT Sport app.

Indeed.

It’s the pop shots that are the highlights for me though as if we are somehow fundamentalists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY
Those who don’t like the idea of footie streaming

None of us feel that strongly with the exception of OB and his perverse view that linear, broadcast television must end.

OLD BOY 18-09-2021 01:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36093480)

It’s not lost on me. I thought, from your posts, it was lost on you guys.

I trust that you are not, in all seriousness, denying that you have been, let’s be fair, sceptical, that streamers would bid for the Premiership rights?

You lot do make me laugh!

jfman 18-09-2021 05:09

I’m not sure how buying a stake in a linear channel proves otherwise.

OLD BOY 18-09-2021 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36093474)
Can I ask where you got that info from, please, as there’s nothing related to that in the linked article?

Nothing in that article, but this is what they have done in Germany. It would make complete sense to do that here as well in the circumstances. It's too early to go streaming only.

jfman 18-09-2021 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36093537)
Nothing in that article, but this is what they have done in Germany. It would make complete sense to do that here as well in the circumstances. It's too early to go streaming only.

What I’ve been saying all along. An exclusively streaming service can’t establish the critical mass required for a sustainable business model.

A linear presence in addition to streaming - essentially the status quo - is a much more desirable proposition.

Media Boy UK 18-09-2021 12:44

My Sources are now saying that DAZN are leading the bidding race to buy BT Sport.

jfman 18-09-2021 12:47

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy
My Sources are now saying that DAZN are leading the bidding race to buy BT Sport.

They don’t read here, do they?

OLD BOY 18-09-2021 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36093545)
What I’ve been saying all along. An exclusively streaming service can’t establish the critical mass required for a sustainable business model.

A linear presence in addition to streaming - essentially the status quo - is a much more desirable proposition.

I saw what you did there! :D

jfman 18-09-2021 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36093607)
I saw what you did there! :D

It’s not sleight of hand OB. Sky and BT both stream, this has never been hidden.

OLD BOY 19-09-2021 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36093622)
It’s not sleight of hand OB. Sky and BT both stream, this has never been hidden.

I have never said that they didn’t. Once again, you are twisting it.

Before that post, you were identifying with the people who were trying to put across an argument that the streamers would not make a serious bid for Premier League football. Now you have modified your argument that the streamers would not bid for the rights for streaming exclusively.

That’s OK and it has been noted. But you have modified your view.

vincerooney 19-09-2021 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 36093548)

who owns DAZN? Is it a solid company or going to do a setanta sports if they stretch themselves too far...

Paul 19-09-2021 00:53

They are owned by Access Industries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_Industries

jfman 19-09-2021 07:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36093647)
I have never said that they didn’t. Once again, you are twisting it.

Before that post, you were identifying with the people who were trying to put across an argument that the streamers would not make a serious bid for Premier League football. Now you have modified your argument that the streamers would not bid for the rights for streaming exclusively.

That’s OK and it has been noted. But you have modified your view.

That’s no modification of anything OB.

I’ve said streaming services can’t make the business model work. If DAZN enter the market by buying (a stake in) BT Sport and maintaining their linear presence nobody would credibly claim that to be the rights moving to a streaming service in the UK.

telegramsam 19-09-2021 08:44

If DAZN sports move in to buy BT Sport doesn't that make it a streaming service is moving into the linear channel way of providing sport? This would indicate their acknowledgement that streaming alone wouldn't be enough

jfman 19-09-2021 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by telegramsam (Post 36093683)
If DAZN sports move in to buy BT Sport doesn't that make it a streaming service is moving into the linear channel way of providing sport? This would indicate their acknowledgement that streaming alone wouldn't be enough

Precisely this.

Chad 19-09-2021 20:42

Watched an interview with boxing promoter Frank Warren a few days ago. He mentioned the wheels are in motion for BoxNation to make a comeback soon.

I found this a little odd as BoxNation was left to fester when Warren moved his stable of fighters over to BT.

Wonder if he's had the heads up that a deal between BT and DAZN is imminent and he's not part of the new owners plans?

I know it's a bit of a stretch but I doubt Eddie Hearn would welcome Warren with open arms on to the DAZN platform and I can't see Warren wanting to move there either.

I'm just speculating

jfman 20-09-2021 09:11

The boxing situation is a strange one. AJ has another fight on Sky Sports and DAZN claim they aren’t going to operate a pay per view channel (although for now BT do).

While Fury fights on BT Frank always speaks in quite vague terms about this as if BT don’t have exclusive rights as such, but perhaps have the opportunity to match another broadcaster.

Both boxers however might find they can get a bit more money for themselves aligning to the same network for 4 fights as there will be an inevitable rematch and the prospect of a “trilogy” depending on the results of the first two. It’s also hard to see, given the ability to promote it constantly on SSN, how that wouldn’t be pay per view on Sky if both boxers want to maximise income.

DAZN despite “deep pockets” had to renege on their Canelo deal and after fighting some slabs of meat for fun he’s now fighting Caleb Plant on Showtime in the states in his biggest fight since Golovkin in 2018.

Media Boy UK 20-09-2021 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 36093745)
Watched an interview with boxing promoter Frank Warren a few days ago. He mentioned the wheels are in motion for BoxNation to make a comeback soon.

I found this a little odd as BoxNation was left to fester when Warren moved his stable of fighters over to BT.

Wonder if he's had the heads up that a deal between BT and DAZN is imminent and he's not part of the new owners plans?

I know it's a bit of a stretch but I doubt Eddie Hearn would welcome Warren with open arms on to the DAZN platform and I can't see Warren wanting to move there either.

I'm just speculating

Boxnation is part of Premier Sports Pack.

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Talking about Boxing. Former Scottish boxer Jim Watt MBE cousin work for Virgin Media Customer Service. I got him when I called up to add Premier Sports in July.

1andrew1 21-09-2021 12:47

Quote:

DAZN, the sports streaming service owned by billionaire Sir Leonard Blavatnik, is in advanced talks to buy BT’s sports business.

An agreement between the two companies could be struck within weeks, according to multiple people with direct knowledge of the talks...

A sale is complicated by a cross-licensing deal that BT has with Sky, meaning the satellite broadcaster has to approve the deal. The two companies have held talks over a potential change in ownership.

BT could still opt to partner with another player on sports broadcasting or keep the business in-house.
https://www.ft.com/content/8c0ffe51-...b-54401e62dada

jfman 22-09-2021 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 36093910)

A lot of noise being generated around this. It’s all exciting a real litmus test for OB’s glorious streaming future is how quickly (if indeed it would happen at all) would DAZN seek to save the buttons it costs to maintain a linear presence.

1andrew1 22-09-2021 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36093976)
A lot of noise being generated around this. It’s all exciting a real litmus test for OB’s glorious streaming future is how quickly (if indeed it would happen at all) would DAZN seek to save the buttons it costs to maintain a linear presence.

As we know, sports rights costs are minimal, it's the platform fees that Freeview, VM et al charge that go into billions. :D

Hugh 22-09-2021 12:16

Play nicely, boys and girls…

Taf 22-09-2021 16:41

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/ma...orts-Dazn.html

jfman 22-09-2021 17:03

Excellent news for BT to be able to exit the difficult market while doing some venture capitalists out of a few billion quid in the process. ;)

Raider999 22-09-2021 17:52

If DAZN thought they could make a profit out of streaming Premier League football then surely they would have put in a bid for one of the packages available in the recent round.

With no realistic bids other than the Sky/BT (and minor from Prime) the Premier League extended the current encumbents.

What has changed - possibly DAZN see BT wanting out and hope to pick up the rights for a reduced amount.

Either way, they will retain the linear BT channels as I would assume for the contract specifies how the matches are delivered. Even if it doesn't, it would be extremely brave(rash) to bin the customer base by going to streaming only model.

It doesn't matter what OB thinks, linear sports channels are here to stay for the foreseeable future.

jfman 22-09-2021 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36094034)
If DAZN thought they could make a profit out of streaming Premier League football then surely they would have put in a bid for one of the packages available in the recent round.

With no realistic bids other than the Sky/BT (and minor from Prime) the Premier League extended the current encumbents.

What has changed - possibly DAZN see BT wanting out and hope to pick up the rights for a reduced amount.

I think the problem with their standalone offering is uncertainty in the future. Would they be in a position to make a profit over the lifespan of the rights and launch a bid in year 2 for years 4-6? Who knows - however I've frequently pointed to this as an issue for a genuine 'upstart'.

BT have their share of Premiership rights until the end of the 2024/5 season, and Champions League rights until 2023/4. So DAZN would be on a more solid footing going into both auctions with some kind of subscriber base behind them, an established brand name and (presumably) a presence on all major platforms.

Quote:

Either way, they will retain the linear BT channels as I would assume for the contract specifies how the matches are delivered. Even if it doesn't, it would be extremely brave(rash) to bin the customer base by going to streaming only model.

It doesn't matter what OB thinks, linear sports channels are here to stay for the foreseeable future.
I can't foresee any rush to make major changes - however it's likely some are inevitable over time. This is essentially giving themselves a base from which to push into the next major rights auctions and cannibalising their own revenue from Virgin, Sky or BT at this point would be pointless.

BT Sport is presumably a loss leader for their broadband service - hence their decision to exit the market and focus on rolling out FTTP. The Virgin wholesale revenue has always been considered useful income from a subscriber base unlikely to pay top dollar for the standalone service.

Will a condition of selling BT Sport to DAZN include a long term agreement to wholesale (or at least partially subsidise) the service on that platform? Or will BT just exit the TV market altogether - essentially becoming a reseller for NOW TV and DAZN.

BT already have the standalone app for £25 on a range of platforms for those who can't work a TV remote so it'd be interesting to see how (if at all) pricing for that shifts over time.

1andrew1 22-09-2021 20:41

Things to watch out for if the BT Sport acquisition by DAZN proceeds:

1. Pricing strategy. Firstly, with regard to DAZN's existing UK boxing rights currently offered for £8pm Would it include it in the current £25pm price, offer it as a bolt-on or increase the £25pm price? Secondly, would it continue to offer subsidised rates for BT broadband customers. I guess that would be factored into the BT Sport sale price.

2. ESPN. Would any rights licensed from them revert to ESPN? Would ESPN be keen to continue licensing the brand to a global competitor?

3. AMC. The low-profile AMC channel. I can see that going.

4. BT TV box. I can see this ending. Although less important now with the rise of streaming apps and smart TVs, I can see Sky being happy about BT TV ending and will encourage them to sign off on the deal.

5. Wholesale deals. Will Sky wholesale DAZN to its customers? Will BT continue to wholesale Sky Sports and to wholesale DAZN? I imagine yes to both in the short term and Sky will be keen to have a lever over DAZN.

Raider999 22-09-2021 21:00

Apparently any deal by BT has to be agreed by Sky - who may or may not want some of the BT rights themselves (Champions League football Premiership Rugby?)

I'm not sure Sky would want to encourage an alternative method of delivery to the customer.

ESPN is a grey area - not sure if a lot of pro mint on ESPN is rights held by them or convenience of an extra channel for BT (ESPN often used for champions league football - rights are held by BT not ESPN)

Media Boy UK 22-09-2021 21:34

Quote:

2. ESPN. Would any rights licensed from them revert to ESPN? Would ESPN be keen to continue licensing the brand to a global competitor?
If DAZN do not buy the license rights or if Disney do not want to give DAZN the rights. Base on what Disney are doing right now with their TV Channels. I can see ESPN moving to Disney +

Quote:

3. AMC. The low-profile AMC channel. I can see that going.
ViacomCBS part own their UK Network so maybe takeover will happen in 2022.

OLD BOY 27-09-2021 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36094034)

Just to be clear, what I have said is that we are likely to see bids from the streamers at the next auction. This has come a little earlier than I had envisaged!

I have not said that the football will be exclusively streamed. I have speculated that the linear TV channels will start to reduce (a process that has already begun) but will not cease altogether until about 2035.

DAZN is almost certainly going to want to broadcast conventionally as well to maximise their audience while the broadband rollout continues in the UK.

jfman 27-09-2021 15:09

So DAZN are retreating to linear broadcasting because the business model isn’t there for a streaming only proposition. I’m not sure how you can define this as progress towards your vision, OB.

BT have a very good streaming app on many platforms already.

OLD BOY 27-09-2021 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36094821)
So DAZN are retreating to linear broadcasting because the business model isn’t there for a streaming only proposition. I’m not sure how you can define this as progress towards your vision, OB.

BT have a very good streaming app on many platforms already.

DAZN is a streaming services, and the matches will indeed be streamed.

The linear channel(s) they are likely to add simply maximises their potential audience.

Although some may find comfort that conventional channels still find a home for content, this will surely diminish over time. Both systems will operate together for a while, but some content has already started to disappear.

jfman 27-09-2021 16:56

“DAZN is a streaming service” - if they spend billions to buy BT Sport and the vast, vast majority of their content is consumed through linear channels does that actually hold true?

They’d be no different from Sky or BT currently do - operating across linear and streaming platforms as consumers desire.

“Simply maximises their potential audience” is an odd way to describe their primary distribution method.

OLD BOY 27-09-2021 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36094839)
“DAZN is a streaming service” - if they spend billions to buy BT Sport and the vast, vast majority of their content is consumed through linear channels does that actually hold true?

They’d be no different from Sky or BT currently do - operating across linear and streaming platforms as consumers desire.

“Simply maximises their potential audience” is an odd way to describe their primary distribution method.

I think you are missing the point, jfman. I am not denying for one minute that during the transitional period, both streaming and conventional channels will exist side by side.

DAZN is basically a streaming service, and any conventional channels would be add-on.

The reverse is the case with Sky and BT.

jfman 27-09-2021 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36094846)
I think you are missing the point, jfman. I am not denying for one minute that during the transitional period, both streaming and conventional channels will exist side by side.

DAZN is basically a streaming service, and any conventional channels would be add-one.

The reverse is the case with Sky and BT.

But they’re buying and retaining BT Sports operations presumably. Their rights and customer base.

In that instance linear isn’t an “add-on” it’s the core of the business model. “Basically a streaming service” is to deny reality in that instance.

OLD BOY 27-09-2021 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36094847)
But they’re buying and retaining BT Sports operations presumably. Their rights and customer base.

In that instance linear isn’t an “add-on” it’s the core of the business model. “Basically a streaming service” is to deny reality in that instance.

No, it’s just abiding by contractual commitments. The business model is BT’s - DAZN is simply taking over those channels to minimise disruption to existing BT customers and to recognise that these customers are already subscribed on that basis. It is unlikely to stay like that for many years.

Of course the conventional linear side is an add-on as far as DAZN is concerned. Just look at their operations over the other countries where it operates. It is basically a streaming service.

Incidentally, Amazon doesn’t have conventional channels for its football coverage. That is the way it will all be eventually.

telegramsam 27-09-2021 20:13

I would imagine people will only watch streamed football matches if they can watch it on their TV, through an app on their TV or through sky,virgin etc? I wouldn't and I guess nor others would sit watching 90 minutes of football on a laptop or phone? So for me football won't change in so far as I watch it on my TV.

jfman 27-09-2021 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36094867)
No, it’s just abiding by contractual commitments. The business model is BT’s - DAZN is simply taking over those channels to minimise disruption to existing BT customers and to recognise that these customers are already subscribed on that basis. It is unlikely to stay like that for many years.

Of course the conventional linear side is an add-on as far as DAZN is concerned. Just look at their operations over the other countries where it operates. It is basically a streaming service.

Incidentally, Amazon doesn’t have conventional channels for its football coverage. That is the way it will all be eventually.

If/when they take over BT Sport they will have 1.6 million direct to home subscribers on that platform/Sky, plus wholesale and commercial revenues.

You’re right that isn’t going to change overnight. There is no basis upon which to describe this as “unlikely to stay like that for many years”. Th vast, vast majority of subscribers and viewers will be through the linear service and a small minority from the existing DAZN streaming service. Indeed, DAZN as exists now will may as well cease operating in the UK - the £8 a month service will no longer be viable. BT Sports £25 a month app will be the principal vehicle for streaming content.

1andrew1 27-09-2021 20:51

Companies like DAZN and SkySports will want to make the most of their sports rights as this is where a lot of their costs are. If they can top and tail them with build-up and analysis, ie relatively cheaper content, then they will do so. Traditional linear broadcasting lends itself to this and encourages people to tune in early and hear the reactions to the result.

OLD BOY 27-09-2021 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36094874)
If/when they take over BT Sport they will have 1.6 million direct to home subscribers on that platform/Sky, plus wholesale and commercial revenues.

You’re right that isn’t going to change overnight. There is no basis upon which to describe this as “unlikely to stay like that for many years”. Th vast, vast majority of subscribers and viewers will be through the linear service and a small minority from the existing DAZN streaming service. Indeed, DAZN as exists now will may as well cease operating in the UK - the £8 a month service will no longer be viable. BT Sports £25 a month app will be the principal vehicle for streaming content.

Surely you aren’t suggesting that DAZN would still charge £8 a month if they had the Premier League on it? Of course the price would go up. I don’t buy your idea that somehow streamed football provided by different carriers from Sky and BT can’t be made to pay.

As for what happens once the contractual commitments have been met, that’s another question. If the Premier League football is only being streamed in the future, football fans will follow. After all, where else would they get their fix?

jfman 28-09-2021 03:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36094929)
Surely you aren’t suggesting that DAZN would still charge £8 a month if they had the Premier League on it? Of course the price would go up. I don’t buy your idea that somehow streamed football provided by different carriers from Sky and BT can’t be made to pay.

Yet no streamer has ever made a substantive bid for rights and DAZN are spending billions to buy a linear channel.

Quote:

As for what happens once the contractual commitments have been met, that’s another question. If the Premier League football is only being streamed in the future, football fans will follow. After all, where else would they get their fix?
You’re stuck behind your own blinkers thinking DAZN (or anyone else for that matter) are somehow streaming ideologues and they won’t provide content by whatever mechanism the customers want.

Equally the idea that they are spending billions to buy BT Sport to shut it down once all their contractual obligations are fulfilled it fanciful.

telegramsam 28-09-2021 09:33

Of course this is still all speculation,isn't it? Do we know that BT want to pull out altogether or are simply looking for a partner? And with Sky maintaining linear sports channels, any streamer would be mad to go down the streaming only option in my opinion. Does anyone know how successful Amazon prime have been streaming premier league games?